HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

on the hills

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 02:34:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saddlebag Bracket for C5  (Read 1195 times)

kcRoyal

• KC Royal
  • Neophyte
Saddlebag Bracket for C5
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
As many may have experienced, trying to attach saddlebags on a C5, is somewhat tricky. Mostly due to the fender stays that get in the way and cause the bottom of the bags to extend way away from the center of the bike. It would be nice to see an attachment that would allow for any saddlebag to be "cleanly" mounted to the classic C5 without them looking like they were just thrown on with duck-tape and ball bearings.
2012 C5 Classic Chrome

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Re: Saddlebag Bracket for C5
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 02:47:56 AM »
I'd like to see hard bags for this bike that didn't look like WW2 gas cans.  The soft bags just are too saggy for my liking. Not too secure either.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »
Get some and mount them yourself, like Karin Eibenberger and her husband did when they rode their Enfields to Iceland (you know what I mean!):

I seem to remember a site somewhere where she detailed the construction of the luggage brackets, but I can't find it now.

Here's some ride report stuff (with a few dead photo links):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489726

... and her photo blog:

http://krian.smugmug.com/Adventure/Motorcycles/Royal-Enfield-500/23825051_p59R82#!i=652354191&k=qn9zQtJ

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 11:26:19 PM »
Thank you for the links.  I saw this picture else where and have lusted, but with no reference as to where it came.  I have searched for a comparable solution and frame similar to the RE that I have.  I knew that I would have to modify.  I have seen the metal Mule boxes, but the price is a little high for me.  Though I know those aluminum boxes are not cheap.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

pmanaz1973

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 04:38:17 AM »
Wanted to dust this one off and see if any new ideas or vendors have surfaced.  I've looked on-line, but nothing comes up for the EFI C5.

Anyone out there making something to hang bags or panniers on?
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5

NField Gearman

• Administrator
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 04:04:12 PM »
We are officially working on it.  Can't say when it will see the sun yet but I can say it will be rad. ;)

pmanaz1973

• Bulleteer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »
That is good news!

It doesn't have to be super fancy or anything.  heck, I'd settle for a bracket that keeps the saddle bags off the exhaust and keep them from canting out and rubbing the paint off my frame. 
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »
Check this out: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17969.msg222334.html#msg222334

By far the best way to mount saddlebags and not look like a rookie.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »
Check this out: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17969.msg222334.html#msg222334

By far the best way to mount saddlebags and not look like a rookie.

1 Thump - did you mean to link to my post?  That one describes how my mounting method isn't satisfactory - the bags were getting damaged by the axle and brake parts that move with the swing arm.  In the end, I simply put black foam plumbing insulation on the lower fender stays to hold the bags away just enough to clear the moving parts.  The stretchy velcro straps hold the bags steady.

I'm guessing that as far as new saddlebag bracket development, the B5 will be passed over again...  :(

NField Gearman

• Administrator
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
1 Thump - did you mean to link to my post?  That one describes how my mounting method isn't satisfactory - the bags were getting damaged by the axle and brake parts that move with the swing arm.  In the end, I simply put black foam plumbing insulation on the lower fender stays to hold the bags away just enough to clear the moving parts.  The stretchy velcro straps hold the bags steady.

I'm guessing that as far as new saddlebag bracket development, the B5 will be passed over again...  :(

A quick peruse of our section of racks will show you we have unlocked Pandoras box of rear racks and rack accessories for the B5. I don't have time tonight, but there is a good chance we have something that would do the deed at a good price if you want something.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
A quick peruse of our section of racks will show you we have unlocked Pandoras box of rear racks and rack accessories for the B5. I don't have time tonight, but there is a good chance we have something that would do the deed at a good price if you want something.

Gearman -

I looked in the racks section, and I didn't see anything new.  Nor did I see any saddlebag brackets for the B5... only the G5/Electra.  Do you guys have some new stuff I'm not seeing?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 03:31:22 PM »
Ok, so it was only 2.  We know about a 3rd but we are out of stock right now.

;D

Those have been around for a little while.  Neither addresses the saddle bag mounting question, I think.

When you said, "we have unlocked Pandoras box of rear racks and rack accessories for the B5", you got me all excited!  ;)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 08:28:47 PM »

Ok try this: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17969.0.html