HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

triumph

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2015, 11:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silencers  (Read 218 times)

mumblemouth

• Neophyte
Silencers
« on: May 05, 2015, 05:04:47 PM »
Just curious what silencers y'all are running? I'm personally debating either the slash-cut drag silencer, or the up-swept cocktail shaker (both from nfield gear). Does anyone have any experience with either? I'm also curious of the power commander is really necessary, with just opening the exhaust and a freer flowing air filter. I've been told how wide the EFI map is...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: Silencers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »
Just my opinion but I say if you want to change the silencer to change the sound, or to save weight, or to change the looks, go for it.

If your wanting to see any real gain in horsepower you'll probably be disappointed.

I've seen some that thought they got a bit of power increase at max rpm speeds but they also lost some of the mid and low speed torque.

As for the Power Commander, the folks who have bought them seem to have seen smoother running engines, less dying at stop lights and a real or imagined increase in power.

I suspect most of it was imagined.

The Royal Enfield UCE's as they come from the factory are pretty much maxed out on their power delivery.
To gain any real horsepower, you'll have to get the cylinder head modified along with the cam's.
Ace is working on the best way to accomplish this but he's still in the development phase of the program.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mumblemouth

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »
Just my opinion but I say if you want to change the silencer to change the sound, or to save weight, or to change the looks, go for it.

If your wanting to see any real gain in horsepower you'll probably be disappointed.

I've seen some that thought they got a bit of power increase at max rpm speeds but they also lost some of the mid and low speed torque.

As for the Power Commander, the folks who have bought them seem to have seen smoother running engines, less dying at stop lights and a real or imagined increase in power.

I suspect most of it was imagined.

The Royal Enfield UCE's as they come from the factory are pretty much maxed out on their power delivery.
To gain any real horsepower, you'll have to get the cylinder head modified along with the cam's.
Ace is working on the best way to accomplish this but he's still in the development phase of the program.

Yeah..as far as power I figured as much. I just like the way the aftermarket silencers look honestly..just less bulky. Do you think the ecu can handle both a freer exhaust and a easier breathing air filter without too much problems? I reckon it's kinda like a car, the ecu can handle those kinda things just fine..and a chip (power commander) is just kinda a fine tuning kinda thing.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
I changed my exhaust and air filter, the stock ECU is working good for me.
1996 Trophy 1200
2011 RE B5
1979 XS11 w/vetter terraplane
1981 XS11 streetfighter
1983 Venture Royale
1982 CB750K
1971 Triumph Trident
1969 CB450
1966 Sears (puch) 250

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:16:57 AM »
Me, too.
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

mumblemouth

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
I changed my exhaust and air filter, the stock ECU is working good for me.

Whatcha running?

Richard230

• Scooter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 04:25:29 PM »
I just installed the EFI Premium Silencer on my B5, without making any FI modifications. The Silencer looks great, seems about half the weight of the stock silencer and is very easy to install. The chrome seems flawless and there is a removal diffuser at the tailpipe that does a good job of cutting the exhaust bark so that the sound is about what you would expect from a classic British single from the 1950's or 1960's. The silencer comes with a removable chrome heat shield not shown on the NField product photo. The heat shield is held on to the front of the muffler pipe with two hose clamps. Fortunately, the hose clamps are not very visible when the heat shield is installed. If you are looking for a nice muffler to replace the stock bazooka, this would be a good choice for a very reasonable price (compared to some other after-market mufflers that I have purchased in the past).  Attached are three photos showing the muffler, how it is attached to the bike and a closeup of the diffuser at the end of the pipe.

Here is a little tip:  When removing the stock muffler be sure to remove the heat shield first before you do anything else.  The exhaust pipe has a hook welded to the end of the pipe (see photos) that the heat shield connects to and secures the entire muffler to the engine header pipe. If you don't remove the heat shield, the stock muffler will not come off. No such problem with the accessory silencer, though.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:10:28 AM by Richard230 »
2011 Royal Enfield B5 500 and 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:49:25 PM »
Here is a little tip:  When removing the stock muffler be sure to remove the heat shield first before you do anything else.  The exhaust pipe has a hook welded to the end of the pipe (see photos) that the heat shield connects to and secures the entire muffler to the engine header pipe. If you don't remove the heat shield, the stock muffler will not come off. No such problem with the accessory silencer, though.  ;)

Many of us never had to worry about this - that hook often breaks off in short order...  ;)