HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Inder Trailer #2

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 01, 2015, 07:34:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear Rack Demensions  (Read 152 times)

i.candide

• Scooter
  • Romancing the Life
Rear Rack Demensions
« on: January 24, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »
Can anyone give the dimensions of the nfieldgear rear rack pictured here?

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/rear-rack-c5.html?SID=67bd87ba9758539b4094279b08a89138

I intend to buy the rack and attach a removable rear box - if the size is right. The dimension I'm most interested in is from the front rung to the beginning of the rear bend.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:44:18 PM by i.candide »
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

sven trials

• Scooter
Re: Rear Rack Demensions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 01:42:59 AM »
Don't buy the chrome rack.  I just got mine and can't believe I wasted my money and six months waiting for this garbage.  The welds are bad and coated with a silver paint that looks like JB weld.  I should have made one my self.  Ill have to wrap it or something to hide the hideous thing...

sven trials

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 02:21:50 AM »
Tried to install. My only guess since no picture or installation instruction, is to mount on shock mount for the front and fender clamp on the back.  Their is not enough clearance between fender and shock mount for the rack and bolt.  You would have to remove the fender to install this rack as designed.

NField Gearman

• Administrator
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »
You do indeed need to drop the rear fender to access the shock mounting bolts without scratching up the paint on the fender.  It's really easy.  Just undo the two bolts forward of the rear shock mounts that attach the fender stays to the frame and roll the fender backward.  If you need more room still, you can undo the fender stay lower frame mounting points next to the passenger pegs. 

The rear clips wrap around the fender stays and attach to the rack. If you don't want to scratch the fender, remove the stays completely by undoing the bolts on the inside of the fender that attach the stays to the fender.

Clean the silver paint off with some 0000 steel wool.  It's an Indian thing.  Apparently it helps protect against rust down the road.  Even RE uses it on all the chrome on a brand new bike if you look closely.  I had never seen that stuff before I worked here.  I'd go so far as to say it's possibly a Southern India phenomenon.

sven trials

• Scooter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 02:16:25 AM »
Thanks!!!  I'll give it a shot tonight.

sven trials

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 04:02:25 AM »
Installed rack... Clearance is very tight.  If you are concerned about paint you may want to skip it.  Shock bolts are hitting the fender strut even when tightened.
A lot of manipulation of rack and fender struts to fit.  ended up dead blowing it into place.  Paint is not a major concern for myself at this point as I plan on repaint and a color change in the future.

pmanaz1973

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »
7 1/4"  from from front rung to bend. Width is approx. 9"

I have the chrome one on my bike and it looks fine...only a tiny amount of silver paint on the welds and mostly underneath. Since yours is a military you'd likely be going with the black one anyway.

My install was no problem and I had no issues with paint, etc. 

You may want to consider getting the factory pillion seat and removing the seat and using the frame as sort of a rack.  Certainly a stronger attachment to the bike.  I plan on modifying my pillion seat rack and increasing it's width, etc. I never ride passengers, so no loss if the seat never goes back on.

Good luck.
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5

i.candide

• Scooter
  • Romancing the Life
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »
Thank you pmanaz1973. That is exactly what I needed. Yes, I am leaning towards the black. And, yes, the pillion subframe will be sturdier and a good choice since the size of the rack is too small.

Enjoy the day.
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

pmanaz1973

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 05:59:22 PM »
I'm not sure about your local area, but I've found a few welders here that are willing to fabricate items for a reasonable amount.  The guy I'm working with is willing to build a 10" by 12" rounded style tube frame rack similar to the oval one for the electra, etc. and weld it to my pillion seat from for $60
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:52:15 AM »
The silver paint is applied because they weld tubing that's already chrome-plated rather than chroming a completed assembly, and they'd like to conceal the scars.