HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

New Tank

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 07:28:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RPM Meter in place of Ammeter/Ignition key slot  (Read 96 times)

orionsilver

• Neophyte
RPM Meter in place of Ammeter/Ignition key slot
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
Hi all, I have a 2009 Classic 500 and was wondering if anyone has been able to replace the ammeter or ignition key slot with an RPM meter?
I've browsed the web and found an image of this. I believe the meter is a Smiths tachometer but I'm not 100% sure.

Any help is greatly appreciate. Thank You.

dampking

• Grease Monkey
Re: RPM Meter in place of Ammeter/Ignition key slot
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »
I found this in Ebay, looks very similar - http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-TACHOMETER-FOR-ALL-DUAL-FIRE-IGNITIONS-MINI-MOTORCYCLE-TACH-UNIVERSAL-FIT-/151473170672?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23448128f0&vxp=mtr

As for adding a tacho there, I think many have done it already.

Regards,
Sanket

orionsilver

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 06:26:30 PM »
Interesting - thanks for posting that link. I wonder if the diameter of the Tacho will be an issue?
I'm going to have to play around with it a little bit so I can figure out where to put the ignition key slot if I end up replacing it with this tacho.

Thanks again for the post. I'm planning on doing this mod in a few weeks time permitting. Will post here with any updates.

*EDIT* Just read that the tacho you posted will not work with single fire ignitions. :(
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:28:47 PM by orionsilver »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:19:22 PM »
Did you try a search?

That pic shows a non-UCE bike, so I searched the archives for "tach", restricting the search to the "Bullet Iron Barrel" and "Bullet Electra & AVL Models" sections.  The link below is a post from, believe it or not,  the very first thread that my search returned:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,20421.msg229688.html#msg229688

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 02:30:53 AM »
A German company called MMB, they make small elect tachs that will work with single fire or dual fire ignitions. They have small dip switches on the back to set up for different ignitions. I had to enlarge the switch plate hole about 2mm. There is plenty of room in the headlight housing to relocate the switch without the plate. If you want to know more look up My posts in the bullet iron barrel section and the AVL section under electronic tachs (bib) and small electronic tachs. (avl) . The ignition switch plate is pressed into the housing and you have to knock it out from inside the headlight housing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:40:28 AM by motorman2whel »

orionsilver

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:52:08 PM »
Thank you both for the detailed response. The thread motorman2whel has referenced is great! Shows me pictures and gave me an idea for the ignition slot.

I'm probably going to hold off on the purchase of the tacho until I get some other things with the bike in proper condition. (i.e. scary vibrations after going over 50 mph...going to check spokes, tires, alignment...etc).

Will post some pictures once I order and install the tacho in the future. Thanks again to you guys for the help.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:56:19 PM »
Your Welcome, MMB actually has more face options than I posted or than they have on their website. I didn't know they had the old school look "Engine RPM's" face in white too, until after I had received mine or I would have got it. They carry mechanical speedos in KPH & MPH too. I hope NField Gear decides to carry these tachs it would make ordering much easier & faster.