HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

G5 - Cozy Euro

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 02, 2015, 01:30:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 7" Headlight  (Read 124 times)

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
7" Headlight
« on: March 27, 2015, 07:40:07 PM »
I have been looking through the past postings about the 7" headlight upgrade, and I've been thinking about the one from our host.  Does it actually light up the road better?  Is it difficult to install?  Do I bother with the replaceable bulb or should I go with the discount sealed beam version?
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
Re: 7" Headlight
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 04:07:12 AM »
I went with the sealed beam.
The "w" clips were a bit feisty to install, but not bad.
If you go that route be sure to wear eye protection while installing the clips. Really!
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:36:48 AM »
I have been looking through the past postings about the 7" headlight upgrade, and I've been thinking about the one from our host.  Does it actually light up the road better?  Is it difficult to install?

Not difficult to install!  Mine provided a great improvement in lighting, but I don't know what they're currently supplying - my complete kit was quite a bit more expensive a few years ago.  Hopefully they've merely reduced it to a more reasonable price, and not cut the quality along the way.  I've got a replaceable bulb unit rather than a sealed beam - maybe that's the reason for the higher price?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 06:55:35 PM »
Several years ago I bought the genuine Lucas 7" headlight from NFG.
It came with the headlight lens and reflector, headlight rings, W clips, electrical base and a very strange light bulb.

Assembling and mounting it was no problem but I did have to elongate the screw slots so it would point down the road instead of at a spot 15 feet in front of my motorcycle.
(These replacement headlights are not DOT approved because they are "not adjustable" but some adjustment is possible if your determined.)
I mentioned the strange bulb.
It turns out that this bulb was designed back in the 1940's in England and no company in the USA makes a replacement.

Because of this I ordered a spare bulb from NFG.  It took a long time for them to get it from the maker but eventually I did receive it.

It turns out that the bulbs made in England for this headlight are made for Countries where people drive on the left hand side of the road.
To accommodate this, the low beam is aimed to the left which in the US is directly into the oncoming traffic.
I haven't had any approaching cars flash me to voice their displeasure but I wouldn't blame them if they did.

Anyway, If you buy a headlight that uses a separate bulb I strongly suggest that you get one that takes a standard H4 bulb.
Also, be wary of getting bulbs that use high wattage.  The Royal Enfield alternator isn't great at producing large amounts of power and a high wattage bulb can result in your battery running down.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

crock

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:23:12 PM »
When I compared my 5 3/4 to my 7 inch from Nfieldgear.com the 7 inch show's an identical beam that is twice as wide at the bright spot. Well worth the cash.

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »
When I compared my 5 3/4 to my 7 inch from Nfieldgear.com the 7 inch show's an identical beam that is twice as wide at the bright spot. Well worth the cash.

Crock, which 7" did you get?

Does anyone have any experience with the LED headlight?  It looks promising, but is it worth the money?

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »
I have purchased a Minda brand from Royal Spares with a bulb. Was fine . Later I smashed it.
Now I have very nice factory style 7 inch light and bulb from Nfield.
All worth better function and great looks. Do it!
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

NField Gearman

• Administrator
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 03:21:26 PM »
Crock, which 7" did you get?

Does anyone have any experience with the LED headlight?  It looks promising, but is it worth the money?

The LED is crazy! I had burn shadows in my sight for at least a half an hour after we tested it here.  INSANELY bright.

Russ

• Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »
I bought the cheaper conversion from NGear. It was about $60. It consists of two chrome rings fabricated to fit in each other and then into the bikes shell. The advantage of this unit is you can go shopping locally for almost any 7" light, sealed or with a bulb. Main thing is ....it looks SOOO much better than the 5". Installation is easy

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 02:38:16 AM »
+1!
The 5" pos really detracts from the trad looks of the bike.
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 11:39:50 AM »
The LED is crazy! I had burn shadows in my sight for at least a half an hour after we tested it here.  INSANELY bright.

How is the light at distance?  Does it have the reach out capability that a halogen light does?

NField Gearman

• Administrator
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 02:30:05 PM »
How is the light at distance?  Does it have the reach out capability that a halogen light does?

Oh yeah, as far as a halogen and too many times brighter than any halogen or HID I have ever seen.  It's nuts.

What it really boils down to is that it is actually DOT approved.  An LED bulb with a giant heat sink on the back won't fit in the Bullet's nacelle and even then, won't be able to reach as far as a halogen or incandescent so it doesn't meet DOT standards.

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »
Wait, so what's the difference between this one (DOT approved) and a not DOT approved one?  Why is this bulb so much better?  I'm really curious/fascinated to know how this all works.

NField Gearman

• Administrator
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »
It's all in the reflector.  Normal LED lights do not project enough light to meet DOT approval standards, which is why we have not seen a lot of LED headlights on the market.  It wasn't until recently that designers started to master the required reflector design needed to get the light bright enough and project the necessary pattern to meet DOT.