HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Old Texaco

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 12:19:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mod in My Bird  (Read 1013 times)

ripudaman

• Neophyte
Mod in My Bird
« on: May 29, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »
Hey Guys,

As always I am looking suggestions for all the guru's out here, I own ThunderBird Twin Spark, I have made these changes

1: Front tire changed to Pirelli 110/90
2 : Rear tire & Rim :   Pirelli 120/90 18' & rim to 18' Classic one
3: Carburettor changes to 220 pulsar
4: Air Filter : K&N E0900
5: Spark Plug & Cable : NGK spark plug both, Cable couldn't find original & so filled chinese one, could only fit in 1, so still looking for NGK original Racing Cable if any one can suggest were I can find on in Delhi & will it fill in both clots.

Gone for change silencer, custom one.

I also read somewhere that after rear rim change also change the sprocket to classic 500 one 18T Thunderbirds has 15t, so I read about the it & find that it reduces the pick-up & rpm at bit & reduce vibration, increases top speed so asked the mechanic he said not required so can any suggest wither its a good option or not. So I have changed this to 16T

Also I looking to change the front reflector to metallic reflector as soon as find one.

So what I looking for is are there any other changes which I can do for increase performance & stability.

All these are performance changes & can any suggest what changes should I make to improve the Top speed as it tried & it still goes up to 120 KMH  :'(

Also I case anyone thinks I have does something that was totally unnecessary.

I was not sure to post in which section Admin can move the post if it totally irrelevant to current category 
Thanks,
Ripu

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: Mod in My Bird
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:00:41 AM »
According to the Royal Enfield site you have a carbureted  350cc engine.
They show a max horsepower rating of 19.8 for this engine.

Faced with these limitations I think your top speed of 120 KmPH (74 MPH) is quite commendable.

Changing the final drive gear ratios by installing a larger transmission output sprocket will indeed reduce the acceleration and sometimes the vibration felt at a given speed but it will seldom increase the maximum speed.

The problem isn't that the engine is incapable of running at speeds that are faster.
The problem is the engine just doesn't have enough horsepower to push the motorcycle and you thru the high speed wind.
Because the force of wind resistance operates by the square of the velocity about the only way you can defeat it would be to install a partial or full fairing and some short clip on style handlebars that will keep you tucked down behind it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ripudaman

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:20:21 AM »
Hi Arizoni,

Thanks for responding, I got that 19.8 a not a lots of HP that y i went for K&N, Iridium plug & bigger carb I am not sure will be increase HP by much but they sure has improve the riding experience, the only problem know is 5th gear is not accelerating after 4000 RPM since I am able to tale 4th till 110 KMH but them i change the gear I fell like all the power is lost & bike moves forward to more KHM as it has gain so much momentum, if you get what I am trying to say.

So if you can suggest any way to overcome that it would be awesome.
Thanks,
Ripu

dampking

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »
Welcome to the EnfieldMotorcycle Forums Ripu!

Also, most of us here won't know about the Pulsar220 carb, instead it's easier if you post the carb's name, that is Mikuni Ucal BS-32. Because I don't think Pulsars get exported to US and UK motor market :)

-Sanket

ripudaman

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:31:38 PM »
aah got it .. than I have BS32, what I meant to ask is what changes we have to make if we want to increase the HP & top speed for 350 CC engine
Thanks,
Ripu

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
The best thing you can do is put on a good free-flowing exhaust system, and jet that carb as well as you can to get the best power.
Mostly everything else that could be done is inside the engine, and there isn't much developed for that yet.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
You have pretty much gotten our best speed with that 16T sprocket. That 350 Just doesn't have enough horsepower to push for the higher speeds. You have gears it to the point that The engine can't even get up into its power band. Te only way you are going to get into the speed ranges you like is to hotrod the engine (cams, higher compression, etc). Small changes like mufflers, air filters and a bigger carb aren't going to cut it. In fact, the larger carb may be hurting you, too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ripudaman

• Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 07:53:08 AM »
Its a UCE engine, I got you point that there are not changes to make.
ACE I have BS32 card & Bare suggested it might hurt my engine too so what are the proper setting for  this, can I have 117.5 or 120 Jet or that too much I am bit novice when I comes to Card setting also where I can get good free-flowing exhaust or if u can shed some more light on that

Also down the line I will make changes in engine (cams, higher compression, piston, Etc) if these thing in-turn result in performance & speed boast so lay those suggestions also or just point me in right direction.
Thanks,
Ripu

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
If I were you, I would leave the carb alone until I replaced the exhaust with whatever I finally ended up getting.

Changing the exhaust to a free flowing type will have a fairly major effect on the settings needed for the carburetor so, after installing one you will need to correct the jets to match its needs.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

ripudaman

• Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »
I had changes the exhaust but it not a free flow one, after that change there is a increase in performance, but one thing I noticed that a bit odd is 4 gear in going to around 4600-4700 Revs but 5th gear is taking a hell lot to time to reach to higers revolutions like 4000+ and I haven't able to reach 4500 yet does this happens or there is something missing.

Thanks,
Ripu Daman
Thanks,
Ripu

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »
As I mentioned, your 350 just doesn't have the power to reach speeds that would allow your engine to go that fast in 5th gear.  :(

The wind force against you and the motorcycle increases by the square of the velocity.
Traveling twice as fast increases the wind drag 4 times more than the slower speed.  Traveling 3 times as fast increases the wind drag 9 times more than the slower speed.
For instance the wind force at 100 kmph (62 mph) is 3 times stronger than the wind force at 32 kmph (20 mph).

Put another way, your engine must produce 9 times more horsepower to ride at 100 kmph than is needed to ride at 32 kmph.

Because of the engine design there is a limit to how much power it can produce.
Using non factory parts that improve its power much beyond its present output will be very expensive.   :o
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe