HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

another angle

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 05:48:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Safari Rack  (Read 1338 times)

LJRead

Safari Rack
« on: June 10, 2008, 05:49:47 AM »

Hi Rhett,

I'm afraid to say how much I like the safari rack that came on one of my bikes from India.  It is the rack shown with the massive loads on Indian bikes attempting the Himalayas.  The reason I'm afraid to mention the rack (racks on both sides and across the back), is that they don't seem to be available in the U.S., so if I brag them up, I might be causing some ill feelings, until you can provide them, that is.  Here are the good things:

1) space on each side with bottom and inner framework, to build in or just strap in whatever one wants.  The size is about 15.5 by 15.5 by 6.5 inches (I just measured it today as I'm building plywood panniers for each side.  Right now I have two halves of a saddlebag (U.S. Chap and Saddlebag), one on each side, and it is good because it gives support to the bottom as well as inside. The boxes I am making will give better, non-crushable storage.
2) There is space behind for a gallon bottle of petrol or water,.
3) the really nice thing is that the two sides are continuous with some bars over the rear lights, thus providing a nice space and protecting the lights.  In addition this causes each side to reinforce the other.  I'm building a helmet box for this rear rack area (16 inches wide X10 inches deep, by 10 inches high.  This box will mainly be used for helmet and jacket storage, as well as odd shaped items that won't fit in the side boxes.  It could also be used as a back support for the pillion passenger.
4) The method of securing is very strong in that it bolts to the top of the rear spring/shock absorber, and, on the bottom, to a hefty bolt on the frame.  Thus, the forces are shear forces, and the weight is mostly taken by the main frame members.
5) although very sturdy, they are also quite light in weight.
6) They act like a rear crash bar, sticking out just far enough to protect the legs in a slow speed fall.

What I suggest is you bring over just a few of them as they may not get to be that popular.  Some may find them down right ugly, but they are in keeping with the spirit of R E in being so highly functional.

Good luck on this new site/new idea Rhett.  I think we will all find it useful.

LJ

P.S. Very common in India for good reason, and thus Kevin should easily be able to get a line on them

CMW-Rhett

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Re: Safari Rack
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:20:24 PM »
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the suggestion - that's a good idea.

I'll check in with Kevin to see if we've ever tried bringing any over before. Chances are good that if they're popular overseas, they'd be enjoyed here for the same reasons you outlined. It's definitely worth looking into.

Good luck on this new site/new idea Rhett.  I think we will all find it useful.

Thanks! I hope so - the new store is kind of a pet project that I forced on the company ::) so I really hope (for my sake!) that everyone likes it :D

-RW
Rhett Waldock
Royal Enfield USA
Classic Motorworks
www.enfieldmotorcycles.com
www.royalenfieldusa.com

LJRead

Re: Safari Rack
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 12:06:16 AM »
This morning in looking at a photo of an old R E, with an ancient but functional rack on the back, I thought again of how in keeping with character these types of racks are.  The R E history is one of providing transportation - with a means to carry various and sundry items.  Here's a copy of what I was looking at.

[old attachment deleted by admin]