HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

On the trail again, just like back in the day

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2015, 11:28:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gas cap leak?  (Read 346 times)

George Baker

• Neophyte
Gas cap leak?
« on: October 01, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
Greetings,
     Topped off my gas tank recently on my 06 Electra to find that it was leaking from under the front part of the cap. I pulled the cap off in hopes of being able to replace the gasket somehow. However, it appeares to be crimped together rather permanently.
     I gave the gasket a coating of brake fluid (which I have been told does soften and preserve), I'll let you know if it works.
     Other than replacing the cap (which I assume is readily available) has anyone else have any tricks or suggestions.

thank you,
GB

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Re: Gas cap leak?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »
The leak, on the AVLs at least, is pretty common.  NField Gear sells a cork gas cap ring that helps keep the leak at bay, although it's still not perfect.  I don't fill it up to the top as it will still find it's way out when leaned over, but it's significantly better than going without one.  I couldn't find the part on a quick glance but give them a call if you are interested and they'll sort you out.  I recommend buying a couple at a time as they will dry out after a while.

Replacing that cap is the way to go in the long run.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:00:44 PM »
I don't fill it up to the top as it will still find it's way out when leaned over, but it's significantly better than going without one.

+1 to that. My experience as well.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 02:33:58 PM »
I bought a pack of gasket material at a hardware store and cut a thick flat ring out of it. It's like a 1/8" thick rubber reddish orange material.   I crammed this up onto the gas cap and it's seems to work great.  about three years and counting so far.

I have to push down hard on my gas cap to shut it but I guess that means it's making a strong seal?

Best of luck!

armando_chavez

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »
i think i used the same gasket as you almost red orange rubber material worked great

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Agreed- simple enough and I'd do it again!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
I was hesitant to use cork gasket to fix gas leak from my G5 tank cap but it is perhaps the best solution, better than anything else I have tried. It works extremely well and is pretty inexpensive !

The cork-rubber sheet to make gasket should be gas & oil resistant type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qtAOoKsvq8

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:26:25 PM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5