HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

riding gear

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 04:09:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires  (Read 685 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires
« on: July 03, 2013, 01:30:11 AM »
I have been looking at the Shinko 705 Dual Sport/Super Moto tires for about a year.  They have really great reviews, particularly in cornering, wet conditions and dirt roads.  All the things one desires for a multitude of driving conditions.  The problem with these tires is that the sizing is rather limited, being that they are more focused towards the Super Moto crowd.  I ended up getting the 110/80/19 for the front and 120/80/18 for the rear.  I knew these were a couple of sizes bigger than what was on the bike, but I also had a little bit of clearance still.  For new rim strips, both tubes and both tires was just under $150 with tax.  A very great deal, plus, they were in stock locally.

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet as my bike is in pieces waiting on parts   :(  but I am very excited to ride on them and see how they perform.  I will post back after I have had a chance to try them out.

Here's a pic of the front tire mounted.  Much larger than the original tire, but it does clear...  Barely.

Scottie
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building The 1st Ever Ace Performance Twin

Join My Facebook Group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/961468183867002

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 04:27:21 AM »
Alright!  After a nice healthy burn out on the old rear tire and replacing the chain with a new Tsubaki, I finally got around to installing the new Shinko 705 rear tire.  First of all, these were the easiest tires I've ever mounted on a bike, and I've done a few sets now.  And I don't own fancy tire spoons either, just basic inexpensive short Motion Pro spoons.  As for the ride???  Wow!  I don't even have the tires scrubbed in yet and they just grab and go!  After getting an initial feel for them and realized they were ready to grab the pavement, I went into some neighborhoods that have real tight twisties.  I couldn't push them hard enough, even just weaving back and forth in my lane the bike/tires felt completely solid and responsive to whatever I put the bike to.  I started to push real hard thru some of the turns and even scraped the pegs a few times.  Never once did the bike ever feel unstable.  Also, on grooved pavement, there was almost no instability commonly experienced on these types of roads.  No osculation or vibrations or anything.

I am very happy with these tires so far.  Granted, sizing is limited, but I don't see why someone with a 19" wheel set up couldn't go with a pair of the 110/80/19 front and rear, which are a 3.6" tread width.  The 18" availability is out of the question for the 18" wheeled Bullets without major modification.  Way too wide.  Sorry guys.    :(     The clearances are very tight up front and in the rear by the chain guard on my bike, but they definitely clear without any interference.  I would have to say that these tires are probably going to be my new favorite and go to tire.  I am extremely satisfied.    :D

I will post another update once I get some serious dirt riding on these tires.

Scottie
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver

The Blackhawk

Join My Facebook Group!

Graylic

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:34:41 AM »
I just put the same tires on my DR250 this spring.  No real dirt experience yet as I have no dirt near me to ride, but I have a good 2000 miles on the tires and I am very happy with them.  Very nimble and stable on everything I have ridden, even blasting down the interstate as fast as the little bike can go ~85mph.  They also seem to be wearing really well. The only trouble I have had with them was when with about 100 miles on the tires I took a nasty tight 20mph entrance ramp at what must have been about 45-50, and I lowsided the bike.  Probably would have happened with racing slicks, and as it was dark at the time it could have been sand or something rather than the tires letting go.  I am considering a pair for my G5 when i get sick of the stockers (probably soon).
And no worries, I only got a couple of bruises,  and my helmet didn't even touch down. I had a rain suit on for extra windproofing, and it got trashed but my jacket and corduroy pants were only lightly worn in a couple spots.  Glad I had what I did on and it convinced me to get a stitch.
1990 Suzuki DR250
2013 Royal Enfield G5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »
I got to play in the dirt a little bit on Sunday.  Went down the the 4X4 playground by my house, basically a big field with lots of trails and a big gulch that fills up with rain water...  When it actually rains.  Aside from the suspension being old and sloppy, the bike handled really well on the trails.  The bike felt solid and planted the entire time.  Even having fun slinging some dirt, the tires bit and just wanted to go.  They felt very secure and comfortable.  After about 15 minutes of that I headed out onto the road into the country.  I got on a dirt road out there and I was cruising at 40-45 mph with full confidence.  The bike never once felt "washy" or unstable.  Hopefully in the next week or two I will be able to get to the mountains and give them a full initiation of 65mph+ highway speeds, with twisties, full dirt roads, and dirt road twisties.  Then I'll also get to find out how the bike is going to start at 10,000'+.    :D

Scottie
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver

The Blackhawk

Join My Facebook Group!