HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

2008 Bullet Electra

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 01:24:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Helmet screws  (Read 440 times)

Rich Mintz

• Grease Monkey
  • Daily rider in the city
Helmet screws
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:26:28 PM »
I ride with an HJC full-face helmet similar to this:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-cl-16-solid-and-metallic-helmets

It has a clear face shield that flips up and down, pivoting on mirror-image plastic plates at the left and right temples.

Each of the plastic plates is secured by three small plastic screws. The screws work their way loose and, eventually, fall out if you aren't paying attention.

Plastic screws are hard to find. I replaced the three plastic screws on one side with more or less equivalent metal screws from my friendly hardware man. They hold just fine. I was careful not to overtighten.

Any particular reason why this is a risky thing to do? Is it just that they use plastic screws because metal is dangerous in the event of an impact? Will I damage the helmet by screwing metal screws into nylon? threaded receptacles?

All things being equal I'd rather have the helmet last longer, but it's not a particularly expensive helmet and I've been riding with it for almost a year so I don't need to overthink this.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: Helmet screws
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:07:53 AM »
I am using exactly the same helmet and consider it to be one of the best helmets I've ever had.

Anyway, I'm looking at the screws and can see no reason that metal screws wouldn't work just fine.  The only reason I can see for using the plastic (nylon) screws they used is cost, (nylon screws are a lot cheaper) and the nylons black color matches the plastic plates that hold the shield in place.
A little black Testors model paint could be used to paint the metal screw heads if that was an issue.

Ride safe! :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:35:44 AM »
Put some RTV silicone on those screws to keep them from backing out.  I had a visor alignment issue because the screws were working loose.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »
Rich,
You missed those when you were loctiting stuff! I have the same helmet, too. Came with the Goose. I guess I'd better check it, too
Honestly, cannot believe your luck!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 12:31:40 AM »
It does sound like a small evil black cloud must be floating above him all the time.

Maybe if he moved out here to Arizona it would go away?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary