HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

1959 indian

in
Members Rides

61 Guests, 2 Users
Mr.Mazza, Scotty Brown
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 07:59:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coker tires  (Read 503 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Coker tires
« on: January 02, 2014, 05:07:38 PM »
http://www.cokertire.com/popular-tire-applications/motorcycle.html

I haven't really noticed any of these mentioned on other threads, but it's another option for REs. I have no idea about the characteristics of them but they are used a lot on vintage machines (cars and motorcycles) and Hardleys
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

sven trials

• Neophyte
Re: Coker tires
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 03:04:47 AM »
I have bought a pair and will report when I have put a few miles on them..

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:48:51 AM »
Which ones did you get? 
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:18:46 AM »
Also, they mention tread life warranty, but I see no mention of what the tread life expectation is.  I wonder is it for auto tires only?

I find it frustrating - all auto tires seem to be tread-life rated, so at least you have an idea, but for moto tires, it's just the mileage you heard somebody say they got.

I know different riding styles cause different wear, but even so, some baseline comparison, even between models from a single manufacturer, would be very handy indeed...

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »
 Mattsz, take my word for it, auto tire wear ratings are not even close to reality. The company i work for produces vehicles with several different tire sizes/brands/ratings. They all have certain characterizations but wildly varying treadwear ratings 260-520. And guess what? They all wear out at roughly the same mileage. At our place we usually just know that certain brands will grip well but go off early, or others will last but be harder to balance etc. So when we have an unsatisfied customer we can steer them to the brand that will suit them the best( what do you mean my noisy tires aren't covered by warranty? :o).
Roverman.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »
Thanks, roverman, for knocking all the steam out of a good rant, that was just getting started!  ;D

Still curious to know what Coker has to say about tread life.  I went to one of their pages which shows a 19" tire that would likely fit our bikes, and was offered two choices: just buy the tire, or add $10 and get a "special" warranty which apparently guarantees against premature tread wear - but I found no hard numbers...

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »
Even if tire tread life could be measured, I'm not sure motorcycle/car/light truck tires could be measured the same way.  Some motorcycles are ridden so infrequently they more likely to rot than wear out.  My tires are still the stock set, that's 12 years old.  I'm suspicious of them, but they were hardly ridden (I've put more miles on the bike in 6 months than the PE did in 11 years) and it was garage kept in AZ.  They seem pretty soft and good tread, but now with 5k miles and 12 years, I'm going to switch them out.  No telling how much longer they'd go though...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

sven trials

• Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »
I put a few miles on these today.  The handling is different than the old Avons. They seem to make the bike feel more agile and have consistent feel from 10 mph to 60 mph. I am running a 3.5 x 18 on the front and a 4.0 on the rear. (18 psig, 24 psig).
I kinda expected to slow my handling compared the Avons, as they are roundish compared the the triangle shape of the Avons.

The tires are Phonix cycleE70p and are made in Taiwan.  They mounted up fine and air up to 70 psig to set the bead.  I did not balance them and don't feel like I need to.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 10:38:20 AM »
Looks very similar to the Dunlop K70, for a very similar price.  I'd be curious to know how they compare in handling, and longevity.

azcatfan, I hear what you're saying about tires aging, but I'm simply referring to tire tread life, not tire life in general.  I'm not worried about the rubber rotting if I can't get a year out of the tread.

I know it's hard to say how long a tire's tread will last, depending on its use.  I've got K70's front (3.25x19) and rear (3.5x19); although they're interchangeable for our purposes, they're both sold as front tires, IIRC.  The rear is ready for replacement after a few thousand miles, but I'm hard-pressed to find any noticeable tread wear at all on the front.

Just wishful thinking, I guess...