HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Oil Leak on G5

in
Members Rides

38 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 08:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: some questions about royal enfield as a brand community  (Read 1520 times)

Arctictanker

• Scooter
Re: some questions about royal enfield as a brand community
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 07:51:45 AM »
I stumbled upon this one late.  I also live in Northern VA and in the only other place in VA besides Richmond that sells these machines.  To be honest I only wanted American, Victory or H-D.  I saw the newly reduced prices and being an Army Vet I fell in love with the military C5.  I went into the dealer and looked at the bike for about 10 minutes.  The next week I went in and got there kinda close to closing.  I was told to look around an no rush.  My wife and I left an hour after closing. Karl is great, he knows bikes and said I should enjoy the bike especially as a new rider.  I have not been disappointed and the mechanics at the shop know their stuff too.  As Mr. Mahoney said I came in with my newly aquired knowledge aquired from their website.  The I went back my third weekend and bought it.  I worked on vehicles in the Army and was not a mechanic so far I have not found anything major that I have not been able to do after referring to this wonderful resource.

My final thing is word of mouth is the most effective advertising.  With a passionate owner and one of the "good" dealers the brand will grow.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

Uncle Billy

• Scooter
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »
My interest in motorcycles, which began in 1965 when I bought a Triumph T120 Bonneville while I was in the Air Force, became focused on cafe racers (for the road - dirt bikes were also a focus but the two worlds hardly overlapped at all) in 1975 when I put rearsets and clipons on my '73 Yamaha RD 250.  In 1984 I bought a Honda VF750F Interceptor which was designed for fast transit of winding roads and so was congruent with the aims of the cafe racer genre.  But orthopedic issues and other interests took me away from bikes for 25 or more years, the bikes just sitting there in the garage. 

Last fall I decided to get back on the road, so I launched into resurrecting the 250 and the Honda.  This spring found the two projects still in pieces, with work yet to be done (fork seals, stuck caliper pistons, etc) when the weather became human again (I live near Buffalo, New York).  I had subscribed to Mike Seats' "Cafe Racer" magazine since its inception; when he wrote of the Continental GT's unveiling at the Ace Cafe in London I got real interested in Royal Enfields and searched online for all I could find about it.  I looked up an RE dealer near where I live and called them.  When I asked if they really did sell REs, he said yes, and that they had just gotten a Continental which was on their sales floor (they're a Harley-Davidson shop, American Harley-Davidson on Erie Street in Tonawanda, NY).  As soon as I heard that I was certain I wanted it, no further cogitation required. 

When I got to the dealer's showroom, the salesman Gary (nicest guy I ever met in a bike showroom) greeted me and asked if he could help me.  I asked if I could sit on the GT; he said I could and when it was clear I could manage the riding position I told him I wanted to buy the bike.  He was surprised I didn't take any longer to decide, but when I told him of my interests and how my project bikes were still all apart with the riding season beginning and I wanted something neat and classic to ride now, he said he had a number of older guys just like me - project cafe racers still unfinished and a desire to ride a cafe style bike - who were looking at it.   So it's in my garage now, and I'm riding it as much as I can because it takes a lot of time to accumulate 300 miles at 40 mph.  But at least I'm up on 2 wheels and in motion on a cafe style bike. 

I'll bet a lot of Continentals will be sold to guys in similar circumstances.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:42:43 PM by Uncle Billy »
'14 Royal Enfield Continental GT
'84 Honda VF750F Interceptor
'73 Yamaha RD250B, "cafe racer'd"
'73 Yamaha TY175 Trialer
2 '69 Yamaha AT1 Enduros
'73 Datsun 240Z, GM 350 V8, 200 4R trans.
'66 VW kit car, looks like a Bugatti, drives like an old VW

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 06:32:21 PM »
I sure hope you love your bike and care and feed it well. :)
Thanks to all of you for buying our product!!

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »
 Whilst we are at it, a big shout out to Steve and Manuel at Detroit Iron Cycles in White Lake Michigan! 8) 8) 8)

Guaire

• Bulleteer
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »
Yesterday's mail brought me the August 2014 issue of Rider magazine. Right there on page 81 is a full page ad from Royal Enfield, citing this website as the place to find a dealer. The full page photo is a pair of Continental GTs and seven rockers.

Arctictanker

• Scooter
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 04:46:03 AM »
Mr. Mahoney,

Thank you for importing these wonderful machines, hosting the site and providing such excellent support.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 03:24:55 PM »
You are very welcome. Some days I wonder why I ever got involved with this and didn't just stay by the pool in Arizona or travel with my wife...but this bike is so addicting that 16 years have passed in a hurry and it is still fun. My favorite thing to do is talk to customers on the phone or go to shows and meet people. I love the forum, it was one of the best things I ever did for community building. I enjoy it immensely.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 05:02:23 PM »
This forum is what solidified my purchase.  I knew I loved the Royal Enfield, but the community on this forum is what sold it for me.  I will have more than one in my stable before too much longer...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.