HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Goldstar Exhaust

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 05:45:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: so close  (Read 207 times)

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
so close
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:24:19 AM »
So I have been assembling my Fireball that I built in South Africa here in the USofA and been installing it in an '03 Classic Bullet that I found/bought via David Blaco's sight and Craig'slist that had a blown engine. I was ready to start it today thanks to Ace for getting me some parts in a hurry and Ice for swapping me an ES inner primary cover for the KS inner I needed but as I crossed the 50ft/lbs of torque on way to the hundred that the cranknut needs the nut went "Pop" and separated from the shouldered feature that slides under and locates the alternator rotor/magnet. So unfortunately, unless someone reading this has an extra in the Boston to Southern NH area, I will have to park the bike unfired and ridden until next year as I leave Sunday to go back to Belgium.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ace Performance Bullets and Ace Fireball 535
Re: so close
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
I know why that happened. :(

The alternator nut only gets 40 ft-lbs.
It's the crankpin nut that holds the crankpin(big-end pin) into the flywheels for the con rod bearing that gets 100 ft-lbs. You only have to do that when you are re-assembling the crankshaft after doing a rod bearing replacement.

Sorry Roger.
But thankfully, it seems that it was only the nut that was broken?

Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  and the Joe Mondello Signature cylinder head for the Bullet.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 12:02:25 PM »
Oops! guess I have been working on the Harley too much.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
Hope you didn't twist the shaft any and the threads are ok.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 03:46:03 PM »
threads are fine and I was holding the rotor/magnet with an oil filter wrench so there was no loading on the crank. Sometimes I am my own worst enemy...but the bike is now stored away with very little to do to make it rideable for next summer....