HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

2004 Deluxe 500

in
Members Rides

35 Guests, 7 Users (1 Hidden)
phoenixt, Z06-LITE, tjupille, Scotty Brown, Mr.Mazza, B5 Ben
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 12:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: knowing my engine  (Read 677 times)

Khecari

• Neophyte
knowing my engine
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:39:28 PM »
I'm new to owning an Enfield.  I got a 2007 Bullet 500 just a few weeks ago.  I need to start working on it and realize I'm not clear about the different categories that I'm running into in my reading - AVL, Electra, UCE.  Can someone break this down for me?  Was the 2007 Bullet 500 released in various models (and if so how do I know which one I've got) or is it necessarily going to be one of these (and which)?

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Re: knowing my engine
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
2007 was the overlap year of Iron Barrel and AVL.  Check out these pictures.  You can really see the difference in the Rocker Covers.  AVL heads are taller and the oil line banjo bolts are very prominent. (click on the picture and it will get bigger.)
Left is the Iron Barrel, right is an AVL.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:03:33 PM by D the D »
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »
Oh yeah, that was the year I had to decide if I wanted either the iron or avl.  I decided on the iron..The price difference was negligible.  The AVL is the best of both worlds (at the time).. They are fine machines and the people that have them like them immensely. Order a snidal and/or parts manual and it will get you steered in the right direction.
Oh Magoo you done it again

Rich Mintz

• Grease Monkey
  • Daily rider in the city
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:00:32 PM »
Underlying all this: "UCE" = "Unit Construction Engine" = the modern assembly, with the engine and the transmission enclosed in a single casing, i.e., constructed as a unit.

Here is the service manual for the UCE bikes (14MB download):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12437181/RoyalEnfieldServiceManual.pdf

I found this on the Internet, but it is obviously legitimate and I've used it to work on my 2010 C5. I had my local copy shop print and spiral-bind me a copy to use in the garage.

Khecari

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »
This is helpful, thanks.  Per the pictures, it's clearly an iron barrel.  I've been reading through Snidal, which is how I realized my uncertainty.  Now on to fixing the oil leak....