HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Bullethead63(4)

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 06:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Peel away head gaskets  (Read 1941 times)

deejay

Peel away head gaskets
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:48:09 AM »
I've read about these on another forum, made for BSAs. You peel away layers of the gasket for optimum thickness. They would certainly be of use to the many people fighting the never ending leaky head gasket scenario.

I've replaced 3 gaskets in 1 year, replaced the studs and the bolts with better quality ones, spun the head on sandpaper/glass, tried a composite gasket, and re-torqued to my hearts content.... still leaks a bit. It has to be the number 1 problem reported on these bikes. 50 years of production and they couldn't get it right, help us out CMW.

CMW-Rhett

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Re: Peel away head gaskets
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:16:17 AM »
Peel away gaskets?! What a cool idea - I get the "why didn't I think of that" envy every time I see one of these simple-but-effective solutions hit the market.

Sorry about the trouble you've had, deejay. It sounds like you've done a pretty thorough check-down for troubleshooting that on your bike and you're well out my technical league already. In addition to adding your suggestion to our list, I'll see if I can probe Kevin for some general input in this area.
Rhett Waldock
Royal Enfield USA
Classic Motorworks
www.enfieldmotorcycles.com
www.royalenfieldusa.com

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:50:13 PM »
what would thickness do to stop the weeping? i am on my third gasket and thinking of sending the jug and head to be machiened this winter.it would be pretty expensive but what  can be done?     ( now at 4750 miles)
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

deejay

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:37:05 PM »
what would thickness do to stop the weeping? i am on my third gasket and thinking of sending the jug and head to be machiened this winter.it would be pretty expensive but what  can be done?     ( now at 4750 miles)

Well, if you've had the head off you know that the iron jug spigot needs to fit inside the groove on the head and seat perfectly flush. Then on a separate level, at the same time, the larger surface area of the head needs to rest on the barrel evenly to provide a seal for the oil, this is where the gasket is.

The oil leaks when the spigot bottoms out on the head prematurely, allowing too much space for the gasket to provide a proper oil seal. Now, I'd much rather have the spigot bottom out and be leaking a bit of oil, because it doesn't effect compression, but it's still annoying. A peel-away gasket would allow us to customize the thickness of the gasket, giving us that extra bit of thickness (or thinness if you problem is the opposite). If my gasket at the moment was a sheet of paper thicker it would not be leaking.

I suggested peel-away gaskets because I assume the problem goes both ways. I read about them on another forum, apparently made for BSAs.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:38:26 PM »
well we dont have peel away gaskets or do we? what about having the head and jug re machiened ? or would  a stage 1 or 2  solve the problem? or  is it the jug  or is it just hopeless?
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

deejay

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:48:22 PM »
well we dont have peel away gaskets or do we?

No, thats why I requested them.