HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

The Thunderdome

in
Members Rides

36 Guests, 4 Users (1 Hidden)
Adrian II, Superchuck, Philbomoog
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 11:39:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ultra Noob here, what type of oil filter do I need For a C5 Military?  (Read 400 times)

Col_Shaggy

• Neophyte
First of all, I'm not mechanically inclined in the least. I just got a 2013 C5 Military and have run through the first 300 miles of my break in and I'm pretty confident I can do the oil change but I have no idea what the size or type of the oil filter is.
Is there a common type I can pick up at say Autozone or is it uncommon enough that I should just order an oil change kit off the nField site?
2013 C5 Military

Rich Mintz

• Grease Monkey
  • Daily rider in the city
Re: Ultra Noob here, what type of oil filter do I need For a C5 Military?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:46:59 PM »
It's uncommon. The oil change kits sold by NField Gear are worth buying -- they include not only the filter, but also all the O-rings, washers, and gaskets you might need. (These are the parts that make the tight seals. When I did my first oil change, I didn't see a need to change any of them, since my original parts were still in good shape. But some people change them every time regardless.)

Use this video as your guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0IW8JVS_I

The oil change is pretty simple. I had never done one before but I managed without any trouble just by paying attention to the video and taking my time.

Col_Shaggy

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:00:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I guess I'll go order a couple of the kits.
2013 C5 Military

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:46:05 PM »
Howdy all,

Another total newbie chiming in here.  I don't think this is hijacking the thread, correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm about to do my first RE oil change also and I think this info would be good for the original poster too.

My local dealer told me that the amount of oil listed in the owners manual is incorrect, that 2.75 liters of oil is way too much.  He advised me to refill the oil only until it just reaches the bottom of the sight glass.

Any opinions on that?

Cheers,

Dan K.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
Royal Enfield Bullet Classic, Yamaha XT225, Ural Gear Up, BMW R100R
http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:46:13 PM »
Your dealer is absolutely correct.  2.75 liters of oil is 1 liter too much.

With the bike on the center stand, refill the engine with slightly less than 2 quarts.  That will bring the level up to the middle of the sight guage.

Also, do not use a oil that is made for automobiles.  They have some anti-friction additives that can cause your clutch plates to slip.
They also do not have some of the additives that a air cooled motorcycle engine needs.

Almost all of the oils specifically made for 4 cycle motorcycles will work.  I prefer Mobil-1 V-Twin 20-50 weight.

The O-rings should not need to be changed if you leave them in place.
The oil pump pickup cover is a face seal O-ring design that needs both surfaces to be absolutely clean when it's reassembled.
The filter cover uses a diametrical fit O-ring that uses a tight fit into the bore to seal.
It must be started into the bore slowly and evenly.  Apply a light coating of oil to this O-ring and to the bore before installing it.

I've ridden my G5 over 11,000 miles, changing the oil at around 1500 miles and my original O-rings are still working fine.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
Thanks Arizoni for that detailed info.  I purchased oil from the dealer and all the stuff I need for two oil changes.  The dealer mentioned using 20/50 too.  That's the first time I've ever seen a 15/50 "semi-synthetic" oil.  Wasn't cheap either.

The dealer told me that if I fill up the oil to the point where it shows mid-way up the sight glass that I'll soon have it coming out of the air box.  Guess I'll find out this weekend cause I'll need the first oil change after I ride to work and back tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dan K.
Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
Royal Enfield Bullet Classic, Yamaha XT225, Ural Gear Up, BMW R100R
http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com