Menu

Members Rides

Emmets Enfield

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 01:32:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leather jacket - armor?  (Read 432 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Leather jacket - armor?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »
I have a 30 year old CHP leather jacket that I would definitely consider armor. This thing is super thick, it must weigh 40 pounds. It's winter use only. I also have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 mesh jacket, which has removable armor in all the right places. But here in the 120 degree heat of Phoenix, AZ summers, staying as cool as possible and sunburn protection take precedence over armor. I have become disoriented in the heat more than once, and that is extremely dangerous. So I usually wear jeans and an MX jersey here in the summer. I prefer to dress to avoid crashing than to dress for crashing.

My Vanson vent-max is amazingly cool once you're moving, even very slowly.  Worked like a charm living in India.

It is entirely cordura mesh with armor at elbows, shoulders, and back.

Graylic

• Neophyte
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 11:25:51 PM »
I would highly recommend anything by Aerostich.  I am very happy with the waxed cotton jacket and pants that I have.   They recently came out with a leather set that is supposed to be waterproof, breathable, cooler than regular leathers and they have armor. 

Unfortunately, Unlike most of their stuff that they make in Duluth, MN, I believe the leathers are made overseas.  I would not worry about that too much though as they have fantastic warranty service and really stand behind there products.  When I had a minor problem with my set they fixed it with no questions and had it turned around in no more than a week. 

Dave1

• Scooter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 04:46:13 AM »
I personally always ride with a leather jacket with armour in it. Armour really does make a difference as mentioned by ACE. Here in Europe we have a minimum armour standard called CE stamp. There is now two standards. The new standard was brought in couple of years ago. So we now have two classes. The newest standard offering even more protection. I know you can get it your side of the pond too.

If you read the science behind it, it makes perfect sense. But I am also in agreement with the better the leather and the thicker the leather the better the protection to. As has been said. Offers more abrasion resistance.

Look at a decent leather jacket as an investment. If looked after with a leather Balsam, they last years. Some of the old guy have had theres most of there lives. I've had my leather jacket 7 years now.

I am not a fan of plastic or cordura bike gear. The abrasion resistance is rubbish, I've seen tests. And I've heard of third degree burns as a result. Plus it doesn't fit as well as leather. Which means doesn't hold the armour in the correct place, which is pointless. I was always taught, fit on motorcycle garments is very important. Ask any decent older shop rep about this.. No thanks to Cordura!

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »

I am not a fan of plastic or cordura bike gear. The abrasion resistance is rubbish, I've seen tests. And I've heard of third degree burns as a result. Plus it doesn't fit as well as leather. Which means doesn't hold the armour in the correct place, which is pointless. I was always taught, fit on motorcycle garments is very important. Ask any decent older shop rep about this.. No thanks to Cordura!

If a jacket is poorly designed, or made of inferior materials, it will suck regardless of whether it is leather or synthetic.  The reverse also holds true.  Synthetics are a viable alternative to leather, and many synthetic jackets can adjust their fit to a particular rider better than an off-the-rack leather jacket can.

I have a Vanson leather jacket (no armor), and a Vanson mesh cordura armored jacket.  Both are very high-quality, although the leather is an heirloom type item, whereas the cordura's gonna be replaced after 7-8 years, I'm guessing.  Here's a testimonial about that mesh jacket:

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Wide Open Spaces = Wide Open Throttle
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 07:45:55 AM »
Matt - I meant to comment on this a while ago and I guess I spaced it out.  Have you considered wearing a New School chest protector under you regular leather jacket?  The new style chest protectors are basically full upper body armor that you can wear UNDER what ever riding apparel you want to wear.  They're specifically designed for use in Motocross, but also work well on the street if worn under a good abrasion resistant jacket.  They also make like a compression shorts that have pads stitched into the hips and butt that might be worth looking into.

There are many different brands and styles, this one here is just an example of what's available.

http://www.bikebandit.com/fox-titan-sport-jacket

Scottie J

The Blackhawk
1958 RE/Indian Trailblazer 711cc

Dave1

• Scooter
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »
My post was in reference to Cordura and not all synthetics. Vanson is a very respected manufacturer, which even on my side of the pond I have heard of. I sometimes comtemplate ordering one of their leather jackets. But not being able to try one on for fit puts me off.

We have a company like Vanson this side of the pond Called Lewis Leathers http://www.lewisleathers.com . No modern armour..Could get an armour suit. Not just for MX'ers anymore.   

Kevlar biking gear is by far the best gear you can get for abrasion resistance. Fit isn't so important as usually it just woven under the outer fabrics. But you can now get leathers with Kevlar and Armour. Which is the way I will probably go...Best of everything. Unless you think the air jacket technology is worth it and works like they say. That is not something I have looked into yet air jacket technology..Time and lack of interest is the reason. Although A chap I know uses one.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:01:43 PM by Dave1 »

suitcasejefferson

• Bulleteer
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 07:53:31 PM »
Here in Phoenix, AZ in the summer, leather just won't work. Whatever you wear must be able to breath, like mesh. If you cover yourself up in leather, you will die from hyperthermia fairly quickly. Most likely you will become disoriented and crash first, so the leather might help if you don't get run over or suffer brain damage first. I prefer to wear what I think will save my life, and IMO, heat is a bigger danger than crashing around here in the summer.

I try to ride as little as possible in the summer. Even if you survive the heat, it is just miserable, and no fun at all. And it looks like I'm just going to get my new bike broken in by the time summer hits full blast.
2013 Royal Enfield B5
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2001 Yamaha XT225
2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
2009 Genuine Stella 2 stroke
1980 Puch Maxi ZA50 2 speed
1971 VeloSolex S3800

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 06:39:51 PM »
having ridden in your neck of the woods , many times..  my choice of armor was a short sleeve shirt and blue jeans and a skid lid and cowboy boots , now come the night time riding I wore a sweater and a Barbour jacket.. the desert is cold at night as you know