HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

The 1969 stripped down ready for the rebuild

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 11:05:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I told an Enfield lie today  (Read 620 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
I told an Enfield lie today
« on: September 25, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »
On the way to work a cement truck driver leaned out the window and asked what year my AVL was.  This happens about once a week.  I yelled, through my helmet and over both our engines, "2007!"

He replied, "It's a 70's?"

Without hesitation, I nodded yes.

TECHNICALLY "I" am from the 70's so it's not a massive lie, but I also didn't correct him.  Why?  I don't know... I guess I've had the conversation so many times I just figured a nod would get me out of it. But I feel as if I need to confess here, at the Church of Enfield, and fully accept whatever karma points deduction the Gods deem just.

I feel as if the weight has already lifted.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
Re: I told an Enfield lie today
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:11:38 PM »
You are forgiven brother boggy.    :)

Besides, it really isn't that much of a lie.  If you put your bike next to a 70's Bullet most people couldn't tell the difference anyways.   :D

Scottie

Bulldog Kustoms - Denver
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building The 1st Ever Ace Performance Twin

Join My Facebook Group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/961468183867002

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »
That's true.  To be fair his question may have been, "What year is that styled after?," and I just missed the last part.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

single

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:32:01 AM »
I tell 'em the first thing comes to mind.Hell with 'em.

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
I suspect my Enfield owners in the US get this question.  I was in the Barbershop today and there was an Englishman there discovered I had a RE and he started talking about his and buying it directly from the Birmingham factory.  I told him mine was an 2008, but for all practical purposes was just a modified 70's bike.  I'm sure the purists will disagree, but it looks old, there it must be old.  I get thumbs up where ever go.  That's why riding this bike is fun.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
No harm done. Sometimes I get tired of answering the question about my 2007 iron barrel and I just say "1955." They often glaze over when I explain why it's a 2007 that's mechanically (mostly) 1955.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 06:29:02 PM »
Yup. Or they think it's like a Triumph.  Retro.  It aint retro if it's actually just unchanged.

I get the thumbs up too. I remember the very first one on Enfield.  Now I "give" the thumbs up to sweet rides.  Before I wouldn't because I didn't want people to think I was being a condescending jerk, but now I get it.  I know that if I give the thumbs up, the owner of the vehicle will actually get it.  So like Youtube, I throw out the thumbs up.

The most common site though, is to look over when at a traffic light and see someone just starring.  If they see you see them, you get the nod.  We've all gotten the nod.  That's sweet.  No conversation, just a silent acknowledgment that they-know you-know they-think your ride is sweet.

But man, the "what year," question... Maybe I'll just start answering that with a thumbs up too.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »
Lying about the build year would sure make things easier. Having to tell the whole drawn out story about the whole history (yada yada yada) has me a bit worn out. This should be standard operating procedure unless the person is familiar with the brand already. What I hate the most is when someone replies that the bike is a great looking reproduction when you explain to them that it is a newer model. From this point on I am going to lie through my teeth. I feel better already!
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 08:26:14 PM »
The most common site though, is to look over when at a traffic light and see someone just starring.  If they see you see them, you get the nod.  We've all gotten the nod.  That's sweet.  No conversation, just a silent acknowledgment that they-know you-know they-think your ride is sweet.

A lot of times other bikers will pull up next to me at a stop light, give the bike a once-over, and give me the thumbs up. Then we chat for a second and it's go time.

Sometimes when I'm feeling frisky I'll roll up next a Harley guy, give his bike the once-over, wave my hand and say "meh." They usually laugh.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »
" basically it's a 1955 titled in '06 with some modern parts on it like 12 volt electricals"
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 10:47:14 PM »
" basically it's a 1955 titled in '06 with some modern parts on it like 12 volt electricals"

That's perfect!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 11:43:03 PM »
My quick comment to someone who doesn't even know what a Royal Enfield is, is,
"They've been making Royal Enfields for over 100 years and this is basically a unchanged 1955 Bullet with a 2009 engine in it."

That usually satisfies them and gets them into the, "Back in 1964 I had a BSA single......" mode.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »
I was sitting at a stop sign off US290 here in Texas, when a group of 50's Thunderbirds went rolling by.  As they passed me they all honked their horns, waved, thumbs up, smiled big toothy grins.  I did the same.  I would never get that kind of attention riding a Jap bike, maybe not even a Harley.  Wish mine were not all dismantled now.  I'm getting itchy for some "thumbs up".
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
I was sitting at a stop sign off US290 here in Texas, when a group of 50's Thunderbirds went rolling by.  As they passed me they all honked their horns, waved, thumbs up, smiled big toothy grins.  I did the same.  I would never get that kind of attention riding a Jap bike, maybe not even a Harley.  Wish mine were not all dismantled now.  I'm getting itchy for some "thumbs up".

Yep Sir! Since mine died and I'm riding a Ricer no one stops and talks my leg off in gas stations and parking lots.  It was a little irritating when they did, but now I almost miss it.  Almost....
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 03:58:27 AM »
I enjoy telling the story of how I have an Indian, but it's not really an Indian, it's a Royal Enfield.  But it's an Indian.  But I have to admit there are sometimes I'm like "look, I appreciate your comments, but I have shit to do."

Scottie
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building The 1st Ever Ace Performance Twin

Join My Facebook Group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/961468183867002