HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Back in India ...15 years ago

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 04:35:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Run-in oil use?  (Read 2366 times)

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
Run-in oil use?
« on: June 19, 2008, 08:41:50 PM »
I have a classic AVL less then 100 miles ,  I am using about 1/4 quart oil every 20-30 miles. Sound normal to you guys?
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Run-in oil use?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 09:27:03 PM »
Mine used maybe a pint in 2k miles. Lets see what the others experienced.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:42:47 PM »
that sounds very excessive as I haven't had to add any oil until I do a oil change once a year....oil level is between half and 3/4 to full mark on the dip stick..
Oh Magoo you done it again

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:46:16 PM »
Thanks Phil, I might be chasing my tail a little bit. This morning I checked the oil it was on the low side of the stick, then I fired it up for a few seconds and let it sit for a few hours, oil level near the high side. 
 I am aware this is a dry sump system ,but I am still on the learning curve.

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 06:48:47 AM »
Just got the AVL classic owners booklet in the mail, It states.'Before checking oil level warm engine a few minutes.Then switch OFF the ignition & check the oil level".When I check the right way the level is OK.   I was using a Bullet 65 owners book. 
Thanks 

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 06:34:15 AM »
Its all very well starting the engine to pump the crankcase dry to get a good reading but what if you had no oil at all.

I would like to see something on the dip stick before starting. If I had no reading,- 5 seconds would be long enough to check that something was there before damaging the engine.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

wanderlust

• Neophyte
  • Riding through Nainital, Himalayas 2007
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:17:05 AM »
The owner's manual of my Bullet 350 says 300ml of oil consumption for every 1,000kms is normal and check oil level only when the engine is COLD.

A properly run in Bullet should not consume more oil than this for 2,500kms after oil change. Improper or hard running-in of new Bullet and Bad tuning can cause excess consumtion of oil.

Ideally oil level should be checked and topped up when the engine is hot taking care NOT TO fill oil above the 'H' (high) mark on the dipstick. Filling it above the H mark will result in carbon deposit on the spark plug causing weak sparking.

If you have accidentally made the mistake of overfilling oil, reduce oil from the case until the level is just below 'H' and  open the spark plug and scrub off carbon before refitting it. I always keep a clean spare spark plug for this purpose.

Gain altitude!