HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Military at rest.

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 04:10:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LED Tail lamp  (Read 340 times)

Arctictanker

• Scooter
LED Tail lamp
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:10:53 AM »
Anyone have any experience with any LED tail lights?  I want to keep the vintage look but add the brightness and longevity of the LEDs.  I saw a set on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ROYAL-ENFIELD-CLASSIC-LED-TAIL-LIGHT-/111292419364?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e98b8d24&vxp=mtr#ht_871wt_960

this is what I was thinking of installing.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Re: LED Tail lamp
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:28:34 PM »
I run LEDs everywhere I can.  I have tried the replacement bulbs and they weren't bright enough for me.  My current setup is a trailer brake/license plate light from Superbrightleds.com.

It is VERY bright and easy to see in all lighting conditions.  It costs about $25.  It isn't the prettiest right now because I simply attached it to the factory doghouse that hangs off of the back, but my plans are to replace all of that with a bracket that only holds that light and the plate (I'll move the signals to the subframe supports).

Here it is all lit up (with my old signals), I think a few others have this same light on their bullets.

-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
We have fooled around with LEDs since they first came out. I loved the idea of the LED bulb, but you are correct they are all but worthless as far as being bright goes. An array like you have is the way to go.

Darkside

• Scooter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »
NON TIMEBO MALA.

Arctictanker

• Scooter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 01:28:41 AM »
azcatfan, Mr. Mahoney and Darkside thanks for the posts.  All of these options by far are cheaper than the one form India and as times are tight I think I will start at the bottom and work my way up.  As I now have a trailer for bikes I can always re-purpose from the bike back to a trailer light.  Darkside that was a very interesting read, thank you.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 04:54:22 AM »
azcatfan, Mr. Mahoney and Darkside thanks for the posts.  All of these options by far are cheaper than the one form India and as times are tight I think I will start at the bottom and work my way up.  As I now have a trailer for bikes I can always re-purpose from the bike back to a trailer light.  Darkside that was a very interesting read, thank you.

If you want to give it a try, I have an LED 1157 bulb I can send you.  Just shoot me a PM and we'll work out the details.  It wasn't bright enough for my tastes, but you are welcome to have it  8)

This is what it looked like in my stock tail light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOjQVCTyyK4
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »

Arctictanker

• Scooter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 07:58:25 AM »
Mattsz,
  From the looks of the recommended bulb it looks to provide almost 360 degree illumination.  I cannot afford to buy it just yet but afer looking at it online it does provide some side illumination.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 07:26:27 PM »
the 1157 led bulb from Superbrightleds certainly works well in my bike and is about $13.00. It does light the licence plate, too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »
These 6W 1157s mentioned in the Ferrari forum are spectacular.  They completely blow away 3 different LEDs that I tried including 2 different ones from Superbrightleds.  I am fairly paranoid about being visible and these match the incandescent lamps in brightness and are several fold brighter than the Superbrightleds motorcycle bulb that has the clear radial array for the license plate.  You get a reasonable "reddish glow" on the license plate, but by no means do they illuminate the license plate like a white bulb.....I rarely run the bike at night.....too many deer running across highways in the 4 months with no ice in Tundraland!

GSS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-1157-Red-6W-Ultra-Bright-High-Power-LED-Tail-Brake-Signal-Light-/270976232214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f17712b16
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:46:44 PM by GSS »
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......