HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Solvang trip

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 03:32:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: tubless for bullet ??  (Read 644 times)

mkalarickal

• Neophyte
tubless for bullet ??
« on: October 17, 2013, 05:13:44 PM »
hi ma bike is pst to deliver next month. one thing thats driving me nuts is bullets and flat tyres. is there anyway we can make its tyre tubless or shud i change to alloys.. ?? which i reall wud want... alloy arent classy.

pls suggestions.. help !!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Re: tubless for bullet ??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »
I haven't experienced a flat yet but then again I keep my tire pressure up a bit...Have you checked your spokes inside the rim  and inspected/replaced your rim tape...Not sure if they make what they call a thornless tube, they are heavier in quality than the typical but I only have used them for carts, wheel barrels, etc (Not sure if they come in our size) ...Replacement alloys may be the answer depending on your local riding conditions...Someone may chime in on a better solution and I agree that the spoke wheels are part of the overall appeal...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »
There's no way to eliminate the tube without changing the wheel to a cast design.

A tubeless tire can be mounted on the spoke rim but it will still require a inner tube to contain the air pressure.

I don't know what inner tubes are being installed on the current Royal Enfields but the Dunlop tubes that came on my 2011 are at least twice as thick as any of the aftermarket tubes I've found.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:48:53 PM »
+1 on the Dunlop tubes..they r heavy duty tubes...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Candoman

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 03:19:50 AM »
I have the same issue, I haven't ridden a bike with tubes for years before ridding my RE.  I am planning on putting "Ride-On" tire sealant and balancing in both tubes next Spring. You might want to check it out.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2010 Triumph Speedmaster
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 02:54:04 PM »
If you want thick tubes get motocross or dirt bike tubes.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »
I've had good luck with the Bike Master heavy duty tubes.  The only flat I've had was from accidentally shoving my tire spoon thru the tube trying to seat the tire on the rim.  Totally my own fault.

Arizoni is right, the only way you can run a tubeless tire is on a 1 piece wheel.  You can use tubeless tires on a spoked wheel, but you still need to run a tube on any spoked wheel.

D the D is also right about motocross tubes being thicker and heavier duty.  They are designed to take extreme abuse and be able to maintain air pressure while coming down from a 50'+ jump.

Scottie
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver, CO
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building the 1st EVER Supercharged RE Twin
FULL RACE motor with ACE Performance

Mr.Mazza

• Grease Monkey
  • Upside down thumping
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 04:16:47 AM »
I'd prefer tubed tires to tubeless on a long ride, because a spare tube, a lever and some cursing are easier are all you need to change a punctured tube. ;)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 03:04:03 PM »
A lot of people talk a lot of smack about Slime, but I love the stuff.  I helps balance the wheels and the only failure that it didn't seal was a slashed sidewall, which obviously that tire was toast.  That's only flat I've ever had using Slime.  No adverse side effects that others claim either.

Scottie
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver, CO
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building the 1st EVER Supercharged RE Twin
FULL RACE motor with ACE Performance

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
I always carried a plug kit when I had tubeless tires. That's even faster than swapping tubes!
I don't know why but I got a lot of flats with tubeless tires. Plugs in my tires were common! I haven't had one with a tube tire since I was racing the desert runs in the '80s. Hitting big rocks was hard on tubes!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME. A couple ways I've built tubeless spoked rims. On a super moto bike for one of the really fast guys in the world, we epoxied over the nipples. It's a real mess if you have to adjust the spokes. We also played around with tubeless ice tires by splitting a tube, pulling it out between the rim and bead, and beading up the tire over the flattened out tube. The spokes were covered by the tube. In the end it wasn't worth it. None of this is anything you would want to use on the road.

suitcasejefferson

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »
I also wish the Bullet had tubeless tires, but at least it has a centerstand, which makes it possible to remove a wheel on the side of the road and install a new tube. Many large heavy cruisers have tubed tires, and no centerstand. A flat on one of those will put you out of commission. I have a Yamaha XT225 dual sport with an aftermarket centerstand, and have had to fix a few flats on it. Biggest issue to me is all the extra tools you have to carry. Dual Star sells super thick 4mm "monster tubes" but only in about 3-4 sizes, to fit dirt or dual sport bikes. I have them in my XT.
2013 Royal Enfield B5
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2001 Yamaha XT225
2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
2009 Genuine Stella 2 stroke
1980 Puch Maxi ZA50 2 speed
1971 VeloSolex S3800

ruufman58

• Neophyte
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:46:28 PM »
I have been experimenting with one bike with spokes and tubes.I started by sealing all the spoke knipples with a black rubber sealent.After that set up E covered the inside of the rim withh a pressure sensitive semi cured rubber product made for roofing.I installed a new tube and tire per usual and sealed the tire tube to the wheel where the stem passes thru.
   At this time I am not trying to produce a tubeless wheel but see if I can eliminate a quick loss of air in case I get a puncture.If I dont get a puncture before I need to replace the tire I will puncture myself and see the rate of deflation and weather a tubeless plug will help the situation.

Does anyone know of a tire tube that has the same type of stem as a tubeless type tire.I think this may be my weakest area?
2013 G5Deluxe riding since 72

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 07:29:57 PM »
Careful!
If you puncture yourself you may shoot out the door!  ;)
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.