HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

NEC2007 pic 11

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 10:38:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Muffler alternatives  (Read 484 times)

Candoman

• Neophyte
Muffler alternatives
« on: October 19, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
I just looked at an assortment of mufflers and exhaust shields that are relatively inexpensive and some of which may fit our Enfields.  Check out mikesxs.net and click on exhaust, and let me know what you think.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2010 Triumph Speedmaster
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Muffler alternatives
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 12:12:14 PM »
Those are all Emgo mufflers. They are generally quite loud, or have to be repacked with fiberglass quite often, and still fairly loud. A friend had a Dunstall on his bike and finally quit using it because it was a pain to maintain. The bike did run good with it though. Can't say how well it holds up, but I guess it was OK. The EFI mufflers from NFG have been proven quite good. Not too loud, but run great. Goldstar mufflers are good, but getting rather expensive.
Bare
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:20:58 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Candoman

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, I really want a megaphone muffler for my 2012 C5, but not a loud one.  Looking for something that makes more noise than the valves. I can almost hear the stock muffler and thought about punching a hole in it from the front side. But still not the solution I want. Again thanks, saves me from wasting money on experimenting.
2010 Triumph Speedmaster
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

mplayle

• Bulleteer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
I just switched from the D&D upswept (rather loud - even with added "packing"), to the Emgo megaphone (http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Emgo-Megaphone-Universal-Muffler-80-84034-p/4146434.htm).

I went to a straight to have the option of adding saddlebags at some point.  It is much quieter - has the sound I prefer.  It does not seem to have effected the performance as far as I can tell at this point.  I haven't tried to closely monitor gas mileage with either exhaust.

I did also get a universal heat shield for covering the connection to the stock header pipe.

NOTE: In other posts about the D&D system, I thought I had their complete system in upswept.  It turns out I was mistaken and had the upswept slip-on with stock header.  Their full system interferes with the sidecar mounts.

Candoman

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
I've heard the D&D and it's too loud for me. Got a pic of your bike with the Emgo megaphone? I like the looks of an upswept pipe, but you make a good point.
2010 Triumph Speedmaster
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

mplayle

• Bulleteer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »
I will have to take a fresh one with the new muffler in place.  My C5 Military had been given some "blackout" treatment by the dealer when I got it - including the D&D muffler.  I kept with that theme on the Emgo replacement - matte black high-temperature paint.  I'll try to post a fresh picture later this afternoon/evening.

mplayle

• Bulleteer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Here are a couple pictures.  It was dark by the time I got to taking them.  I used the flash and these were the best that came out.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Wide Open Spaces = Wide Open Throttle
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 07:27:06 AM »
Here's a short video of my '58 twin with a pair of Emgo cocktail shakers on it.  Just about the same sound as the Emgo mega phone, just subtract 1 cylinder.  ;)

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17578.0.html

Scottie

The Blackhawk
1958 RE/Indian Trailblazer 711cc

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »
I know it's off topic, but...

1: that's a nice sidecar tread wear pattern on that rear wheel!

2: I'd really like to see some other photos of that rig - it looks like it would be very cool!!!

mplayle

• Bulleteer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 08:10:56 AM »
Mattsz,

I have an online album of pictures from when I got it last year at this url: http://miniownersoftexas.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=45

I have only done 3 things to it in the past year (besides ride it): added the rear rack, replaced the muffler, replaced the tonneau cover on the sidecar.  I made my own leather tonneau cover and added a support rod so water won't pool on it it caught in rain.
 :)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
Awesome!  I'll check it out...

mplayle

• Bulleteer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
I just listened to the sound on Scottie J's video (referenced above).  The megaphone exhaust I have is just a small amount quieter and softer in pulse, but very similar at idle.