HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Meet Evelyn!

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 01:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort  (Read 8572 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort
« on: October 31, 2013, 02:29:38 PM »
BIG news!

Paul Henshaw(Bullet Whisperer) and his Enfield racing team have selected Ace to assist in technical modifications and support for their Bullet 500 racing engine.

We will be working jointly on this project to make next year's season even better than the last.

We are very honored and pleased to have this tremendous opportunity with a high profile team on the UK racetracks.

We thank Paul and his team, and hope you all will be rooting for us to win!
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »
This bike will be a Norton slayer.
Congratulations to Team Ace and best of luck.
2006 Bullet Sixty-5 w/ Ace "Fireball 535" Kit (#10)
Ace "GP" head in the works.
Featherbed frame conversion underway.

'76 Honda CB550Four K(sold)

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understandin'?"

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »
Good luck!  :D

Scottie
Scottie J
Denver, CO

1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »
Yes, as Ace has already pointed out, exciting times may be ahead, the 500 'Big Head' racer engine is totally stripped and will be looked at in all areas in the quest for more power and speed 45.95 BHP @ the rear wheel to beat, as a previous best. There is a package being collected for shipping to you tomorrow, Ace, that will set the ball rolling. There is no shortage of 'stuff' to do here, as well  8)
 B.W.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:28:11 PM »
Fantastic !

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 07:16:32 PM »
I can't even describe how excited I am about this. I was up all night thinking about it!
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 08:35:18 PM »
Ace & BW - This is really exciting!  If my new plan goes without too many hiccups I may be seeing you at Bonneville next year.  How cool would that be?  A Bullet and a Twin going for speed records at the same event!

Scottie
Scottie J
Denver, CO

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »
Do you have a crank in the works or are you using a Hitchcock's? That is first on the list of things that my bike needs. I need to get off my ass this winter and get it running again. Ace, how much to get my current head checked over and flow tested?
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »
Do you have a crank in the works or are you using a Hitchcock's? That is first on the list of things that my bike needs. I need to get off my ass this winter and get it running again. Ace, how much to get my current head checked over and flow tested?

We rebuild cranks, either stock or Hitchcock's, but we don't make any cranks at this time.
We do a couple variations of Carrillo con-rods, and big end bearings, but not any whole cranks yet.
Maybe next year.
But, we can rebuild what you have.
Chumma does all the crank rebuilds in NJ.

The flow tests are about $75 each, and the check-over of the head condition is minimum bench charge of $75, plus any extra time if they need to do anything.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 10:24:49 PM »
We have received Bullet Whisperer's cylinder head and have done the initial flow tests to establish a baseline performance benchmark.
The head flowed very well, and we have presented some ideas for improvements, for his consideration.
We will be discussing this shortly, I presume.

Sorry, no numbers coming up for public consumption on this one.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
Great news, this endeavor can only improve the mill you are developing.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 05:27:44 AM »
+1   :D
Scottie J
Denver, CO

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »
I am sure improvements will result from this collaboration and perhaps some of what is done might be of use replicated in some fast road going machines in the future, both in the U.S. and here in the U.K.
 I have also had visions of an 84mm bore, short stroked 350, with tuned 'Big Head', revving beyond 9,000 rpm with ease  and fitted in modified Crusader type cycle parts, like our current 350 racer. A 612cc with 'Big Head' would also just squeeze into such a rolling chassis - just imagine a Crusader sized race bike with around 60 BHP  ;D ;D ;D. Anyway - back in the real world and the present time, we should end up with a pretty handy bit of kit with the next incarnation of the 500 Fury Special !
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 12:41:09 AM »
I think those things sound like fun to me.
 ;D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 10:35:06 PM »
This race bike is  getting some exotic mods!

It's gonna be really cool!

Had a nice long Skype conference call  from the UK again today. Lots of cool ideas coming out of this project.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:38:22 PM by ace.cafe »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 08:51:29 PM »
Little update on the progress without spilling any beans. ;)

This head is really flowing well with these latest mods.
Everything is doing even better than expected.
I think this engine is going to make huge power.

I'm really really happy with what I'm seeing so far from this project!
 ;D 8)

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »
Ok Ace. What do you need for the flow test on my cylinder head? Send me off a e-mail, its in my profile. Hitchcock's has a 10% discount this weekend, gonna order a crank. Any idea which one I need? I sent them off a e-mail, they offer:

200160    PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT, 500cc (Metric, indian models)
or
200160B    PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT, 500cc, IMPERIAL, alternator type
or
200160D    PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT, 500cc, IMPERIAL, no alternator type

My bike is a 2001 Kickstart only Export 500. I do run a total loss electrical system, but I do use a crank triggered ignition in the rotor mounting keyway.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
Ok Ace. What do you need for the flow test on my cylinder head? Send me off a e-mail, its in my profile. Hitchcock's has a 10% discount this weekend, gonna order a crank. Any idea which one I need? I sent them off a e-mail, they offer:

200160    PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT, 500cc (Metric, indian models)
or
200160B    PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT, 500cc, IMPERIAL, alternator type
or
200160D    PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT, 500cc, IMPERIAL, no alternator type

My bike is a 2001 Kickstart only Export 500. I do run a total loss electrical system, but I do use a crank triggered ignition in the rotor mounting keyway.

Okay Westie.
It's #200160 metric Indian type. Specify kickstart only when ordering.
Probably wouldn't hurt to order a new engine sprocket for the primary, and have them check it on the shaft splines to be sure it fits right, when you make the order.
There are some issues with the splines and some gears from other year engines.

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
Crank is ordered. Good thing I sold my Atlas today, OUCH!  :o

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
Little update on the progress without spilling any beans. ;)

This head is really flowing well with these latest mods.
Everything is doing even better than expected.
I think this engine is going to make huge power.

I'm really really happy with what I'm seeing so far from this project!
 ;D 8)
Thanks for the update, Ace, that sounds very promising! Hopefully, work will soon begin on what changes we will implement below the cylinder head level of this engine  ;)
 Without 'spilling any beans', but as a point of interest and maybe reference, the highest figure we ever recorded, on what appears to be an exceptional day as far as favourable conditions go, from the 500 was 45.95 bhp. On the same Dynojet dyno and on the same day, the 350 recorded 37.13 bhp. These figures remain an all time best for both our racers. That dyno [and the entire bike shop] were destroyed in a terrible fire soon after that, meaning we were forced into using another Dynojet dyno a little further away from us and this seems to use about 3 bhp more from any machine we put on it, by comparison. The best we have seen from the 500 on this dyno is around 42 bhp and the 350 manages around 33 bhp. A Crusader belonging to Steve Cotrell, which we also race, came down from 28.5 bhp to just short of 25 bhp on this dyno, while a Kawasaki ZXR 400 lost 3-4 bhp as well.
 This will be the dyno we will test the reworked 500 engine on and the 350 will continue with last year's short rod engine, so this machine could give us some sort of benchmark or 'constant'. If this shows 32 / 33 bhp on the day, anything over 42 bhp from the 500 will be going the right way.
 B.W.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:30:03 PM by Bullet Whisperer »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 05:00:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing the info on hp from the past dyno runs, Paul!
This gives me a nice lead-in for a technical post on how this all comes together to get results.

We have just seen some horsepower figures on Paul's racing engines. and we have also seen first-hand information that dynos are not all the same, so their main function is for a comparison basis of the same bike on the same dyno.
Now, what is horsepower? We talk about it a lot, but do we really know what it is?
It's a measurement of work.

Horsepower is comprised of torque and rpm(rotations per minute) of the engine.
Torque is defined as how much force can be applied to the crankshaft by the engine in one "push" of the piston. It's "how hard" it can push.
But, we need to do more than one push, and we need to push it far, in order to do our work.
So, we push the piston down a lot of times over a time period like a minute, and then we get a push(torque force) times the revolutions of the engine over the time span of a minute(rpm), and then divide by a mathematical constant(5252), and that gives us horsepower.
Tq x Rpm/5252 = Hp

In short, horsepower is what we get when we push the piston down a whole bunch of times during a minute, and that gives us the amount of work we can do. If we have just one amount of force pushing down each time, then the more times we can push it down in a minute, we will get more horsepower to do our work. And if we can push it down harder to get more force, then taht will also give us more horsepower to do our work.
So, to get more horsepower, we want to increase how hard we can push the piston down, and also increase the number of times per minute that we can do it.

Okay. So, big deal. Everybody knows that, right?
All right.

So, this is where the tech stuff starts. How are we going to get more "push", and how are we going to get more rpms?
Well, to get to the meat of the issue, to get more "push" we need to get better cylinder filling, so that the engine can operate at highest efficiency. So, it needs air flow.
And, as the rpms get faster and faster, there is less time for the air to get into the cylinder, so it is likely that less will get in. And, when it's enough less getting in to not be able to produce any more power, then the engine will not be able to productively rev any higher, or make any higher power. It's the amount of air getting in that makes the limits.

How can we improve it?
Well, the main methods are to open the valves higher, and to hold the valves open longer for more time for the air to flow in at higher rpms, and also to make the sizes of the valves and ports(also shape of ports) correct to get more air flow in during the same amount of time.
So, this is why we talk about valve lift, and duration, and how much cfm(cubic feet per minute) of air the inlet system can deliver. The more cfm it can deliver, then the better it can fill the cylinder in less time. The longer the valves are open, the more air can get in per revolution. The higher the valves are lifted, the more air can get in(assuming the port is done to match). These are our methods. There's a lot of high tech processes in doing this, but at the basic level, these are the things we are doing.

We are going to open those valves a lot further, and we are increasing the port air flow to take the best advantage of those higher-lifted valves, and we are going to hold those higher-lifted valves open for a longer time than before. The goal is to keep getting enough air in there to fill that cylinder really full in a very short period of time, for a much higher engine speed(rpm) so that we get more  "push", and hold on to it for a much higher rpm speed, so that we make a significant amount more horsepower.

And that, in basic terms, is what it's all about.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:18:50 PM by ace.cafe »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 06:07:52 PM »
Thanks Ace. That's a great overview!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 07:10:13 PM »
E-mail from Hitchcock's says the crank is on the way. Woohoo! My wallet is still hurting though.  :o

Hope to get the head pulled off tomorrow, been to busy with other people's stuff to work on my own stuff.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 07:20:11 PM »
Sounds good, Westie!
Looking forward to it!

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »
Cylinder head is getting boxed up as I type. Going down to Mondello.

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 04:35:20 PM »
Just tracked my package from Hitchcocks, crank has landed in the USA.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
just like tracking Santa....
Good luck with it all

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 11:00:19 PM »
Just got this picture while I was on my way to Buffalo. Nice!!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »
Looks like they have started using Carrillo rods on those cranks.
Same rod as we use.
It's a nice crank set-up.
Real strong.

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 11:34:28 PM »
I have put a hurting on a Carrillo rod. They take abuse, that's for sure

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 01:42:28 AM »
It is clear now that some of the top Bullet road racers and a few performance oriented street riders are seeing the potential in this new Ace system.

This advance represents a "sea change" in Bullet performance, and things really are never going to be the same again. We're very pleased to be bringing this important performance upgrade to the Bullet world.

For some of those reading who might not understand the impact of a system like this on a Bullet world in which it was not available, it cannot be overstated how important this is.
It's all about increasing the flow in and out of the cylinder, you need more flow to make more power. This allows the Bullet to be on an equal(or perhaps better) playing field as the Norton Manx or Matchless G50, or any of the legendary racing 500 single cylinder motorcycles.

Our goal for this engine is to provide competitive/winning Bullet engines that can compete and win on the vintage road racing track against any other single out there, at a cost that is significantly less than the others. We feel that this will breathe new life into the vintage racing scene, because these other vintage bikes are rare and expensive collector items now which people are hesitant to race, due to the risk of wrecking. If we can make a bike which is just as fast(or even faster) at a much lower price, and is an affordable and available machine not a priceless collector item, it could become the mainstay of vintage single 500 racing.

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 06:32:57 PM »
Ups delivered my cylinder head to Mondello's yesterday!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
Ups delivered my cylinder head to Mondello's yesterday!

I checked on it, and they said it's there.
The bad news is that they won't be able to get to it until they re-open after the holiday.

TejK

• Scooter
  • 'BlACk'
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 07:09:27 AM »
Great history in the making is what I am thinking reading the thread !!

I am kind of picturing both Paul and Ace at the salt flats very soon. And I guess most of it has to do with me watching 'The world's fastest Indian' multiple times !!!

Good Luck to you guys ! Hope you share this journey will all of us - make a video journal !!  :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:11:56 AM by TejK »

jedaks

• Bulleteer
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 09:13:02 AM »
Congrats Ace! We are all pleased for you and honoured that a bit of your knowledge is in a lot of our bikes!
Yankee ingenuity and Pommy persistance...great blend! :)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »
Looks like they have started using Carrillo rods on those cranks.
Same rod as we use.
It's a nice crank set-up.
Real strong.
That conrod will probably be made by Alpha bearings for Hitchcocks, as they have recently started making such things. They [first?] made a rod like that a couple of years back, that being a one - off for our 'short rod' 350 race engine, which retains the standard 70 X 90 dimensions. This machine was taken to 8000 rpm on the dyno on countless occasions and even saw 10,000 rpm once on the track! So, probably not Carillo, but vey strong nonetheless  ;)
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »
That conrod will probably be made by Alpha bearings for Hitchcocks, as they have recently started making such things. They [first?] made a rod like that a couple of years back, that being a one - off for our 'short rod' 350 race engine, which retains the standard 70 X 90 dimensions. This machine was taken to 8000 rpm on the dyno on countless occasions and even saw 10,000 rpm once on the track! So, probably not Carrillo, but vey strong nonetheless  ;)
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
I have to give props to our porting expert.
Again and again, he consistently gets more flow out of any given size port than the theoretical guidelines say he should be able to get.

The quality of this porting work also shows up when measuring the flow at the valve curtain at various valve lifts, and comparing against the theoretical maximum flow thru the valve curtain area at these lifts. This is the "discharge coefficient at the valve". Consistently in the top ranges for this discharge coefficient.

I know the techniques which are used in order to do this, but I don't think many other people do. It's not a "trick". It's just knowing how to reduce flow losses in a really expert way.
You should see the amount of flow that is coming thru Bullet Whisperer's port now! It's really moving some BIG air. Most people would say it couldn't be done.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:40:39 PM by ace.cafe »

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
I might not show up much, especially in these "expensive work that I one day hope to be able to afford" threads, but, I just have to say how proud I am to "know" you guys, doing something so awesome for such a cool bike. Also the tech side of this stuff is very well written. I am a tech geek and am gifted with the ability to understand machines and the like without reading much about them, but you guys take it to a different level.

One question, regarding heads: Have any of you heard of "Coates" engines?

http://www.coatesengine.com/

If so, to what extent do you feel the design feasible as far as adapting to an Enfield? the idea being higher revs and better flow efficiency right?

thoughts?
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »
The rotary valve idea has been around since the 1930s, and maybe even earlier. It does have some strong points over the normal poppet valve system. However, the sealing issues have never really been solved, so the rotary valve engines have never been commercially viable.
I have looked at the Coates rotary valve system before, and it looks good but I am not sure if they have really solved the sealing problem. We'll see.

Anyway, it could be implemented on any cylinder head that was designed, cast, and produced to use it  it is not an add - on type of system. I don't think it would be allowed in vintage racing classes.

If we undertook something like this in the future, it would almost certainly be for the modern production engine like the UCE. But it's not likely.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 04:03:38 PM »
OMC came out with those in the early 70s. They won every outboard race going at the time except they couldn't make them stay together. Went to school for them and they were the big thing then. Probably still have all the tech stuff I was given at the time.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 05:09:16 AM »
The concept is sound but the perfection of design and materials are yet lacking eh?

Like the Wankel Rotary Engine and its similar issues...

I appreciate the answers, I wondered if they could be adapted easily to any engine or not, and not seems to be the answer.

the thing about pistons and valves is the same as the fall not killing you, the sudden stop.

They have to reciprocate and come to a near stop at some point... I'm just a sub-genius-wannabe-electro-mechanical-engineer, trying to find a way to make a better wheel...

I come from inventor blood and I'm itching to figure out something... I have more steam and smoke and gears in my brain than the industrial revolution had.

Thanks again! You Guys ROCK!

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »
The concept is sound but the perfection of design and materials are yet lacking eh?

Like the Wankel Rotary Engine and its similar issues...

Not to hi-jack, but Wankel Rotories are in a class of their own.  And if they were flawed they wouldn't still be making them today.  Have seen a turbo 20B Cosmo Turbo in action?
They eat V8's for breakfast.  The twin turbos lay down over 700hp @ 9,000 RPMs.  But they are lot like an Enfield.  You have to tear them down a fairly regular basis for decarbonization and apex seals (the equivalent to piston rings).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8536vxMas

http://www.srmotorsports.com/Stage5.jpg

Scottie J
Denver, CO

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »
Not to hi-jack, but Wankel Rotories are in a class of their own.  And if they were flawed they wouldn't still be making them today.  Have seen a turbo 20B Cosmo Turbo in action?
They eat V8's for breakfast.  The twin turbos lay down over 700hp @ 9,000 RPMs.  But they are lot like an Enfield.  You have to tear them down a fairly regular basis for decarbonization and apex seals (the equivalent to piston rings).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8536vxMas

http://www.srmotorsports.com/Stage5.jpg

I'm here to tell you that a rotary valve isn't required to get a huge amount of flow like that one does, and Bullet Whisperer's head is living proof of it.

I can't publicly say how much flow we're getting out of this head, because it is private information for the racing team, but I guarantee that your jaws would drop to the floor if you knew what we are getting from this head!

I have always been quite conservative about doing head mods on street bikes to preserve their "street manners" and get high longevity and reliability over many thousands of miles.
However, on this job, it's getting "all the marbles". It's a race bike, and the checkered flag and the podium are on the line, and we're giving it all we've got!

I would like to put this bike on the Isle of Man. I haven't mentioned this to BW yet, but my wish would be to get this package sorted and fine-tuned to a winning combination during this year's race schedule, and then aim right at being the first 500cc single across the finish line at the Isle of Man TT.
I think that this bike will have a real shot at it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:18:49 PM by ace.cafe »

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »
Paging Dave Roper!

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »
I know rotary engines are sweet and can be slam bang powerful, the replacement of apex seals was what I was equating to the issues with the seals on a Coates head system.

The idea I am addressing Tom, is simple smooth rotation in the engine, like a Wankel, but in the heads of an engine.

I wish I was smarter, better employed, and better set financially, I'd have you guys fireball my bullet in an instant, It would add to my Klingon Battle Prowess! (hee hee)

And I would never want you guys to let all your secrets out of the bag, it would be like knowing how the magic trick works...

But are we all in agreement that the idea of a system of internal or for that matter external combustion, that uses a rotational system without a TDC and BDC, but somehow manages to harness the explosion in a manner so as to smoothly and with longer life and higher rev potential and therefore (hopefully) power potential, is a worthy goal.

And I am the original "hijacker" here...

my posts simply fell in here due to the discussion of heads and flow and whatnot, it sort of mushroomed from there.

On another note, the only engine styles that I know of that do make better use of the existing technology are boxer engines, and radial airplane engines, as far as power usefulness and balance of load and all that jazz...

I love radial engines.... (falling into a state of dreaming, tongue lolling out and visualizing P&W R985s in a Grumman Goose... "drool")

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »
You'd love a turbine engine.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »
You'd love a turbine engine.

I think they made a movie about that...

Perhaps less realistic than Hagrid's flying Enfield in Harry Potter, but still...

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »
Just to confirm all the work on this project is still going ahead, Christmas and some other less welcome events have slowed us down a bit at this end, but it is all still very much ON !!
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 05:49:01 PM »
The head will be ready to ship by next week.
Just some minor final assembly needed.
I will be contacting B.W. about the details later today.

It's awesome!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »
Awesome!   :D
Scottie J
Denver, CO

Nixie

• Neophyte
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
I't would be great to come watch the first event this engine is used for!

Please keep us up to date  ;D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2014, 10:16:47 PM »
I't would be great to come watch the first event this engine is used for!

Please keep us up to date  ;D
Hi Nixie!

We are all excited about the prospects for this year's effort with the new engine. I'm sure that it will take some sorting. After all, it is now able to flow WAYYY more air than any Bullet ever could before(except maybe Linsdell, and we don't know what he has). At any rate, this is going to give him a run for his money, that's for sure.

I don't know how much Paul is wanting to say about the head in public, so I will wait until he decides about what is to be said, or what isn't.

From my point of view, we have never done any Bullet head that has the performance potential of this head. This is the best we have ever done.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2014, 09:33:27 AM »
Ace, you can say whatever you like about the head work, including before / after flow figures for it. I know I ported the head by hand previously, using pretty crude and basic methods, but it worked well like that and soon it will work better. I think the flow figures for my previous efforts will be respectable enough to share here, along with the new, improved ones as a comparison.
 I was told a few years ago at Cadwell Park, as we watched our 350 Clipper beat that year's champion, Graham Buller back to 3rd place on his very quick Manx Norton 350 - [the Clipper came second to Tim Jackson [AJS 7R if I remember right] in the last race of the last meeting] - that I tune my bikes using 'brute force' rather than finesse - well now we will be mixing brute force with finesse, could be a knock out combination!   8) 8) 8)
 B.W.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:41:22 PM by Bullet Whisperer »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »
Okay!

First, as Paul said, the head came in with a very decent flowing port to begin with. He had done a very good job with it, especially for someone who wasn't working with a flow bench. So, hats off to Paul for a job well done there!

The flow bench tests were very revealing. We flow tested the ports all the way up to .600" lift, because that was the lift goal that we had in mind for the new head mods. I'll discuss primarily the inlet port here, because the exhaust port will just flow a percentage of the inlet, and we adjust it to suit.

Paul's inlet port as it came to us flowed 263 cfm at .600" lift. This is a hefty amount of flow, and it should support 60hp in a race engine like that.
So, how come it wasn't making 60hp?
Well, this is where the interesting part comes in.

In the Bullet, the cams are located on spindles which are close to the crankshaft seal area in the timing chest. This means that the cams cannot withstand much lobe enlargement, or they hit the case around the crankshaft oil seal. So, even with all the creative methods for dealing with cam lobes to get bigger ones in there, the biggest lobes that I have ever heard about are .442" peak lift, and that takes a bit of clever work to get them in there. This means that cam lobe lift is limited in the Bullet to about that figure, or less.

In the case of the Bullet Whisperer engine, it was using a different cam with about .420" peak lift, which is still quite a hefty lobe size for a Bullet. This is also the case with virtually all of the Bullets out there in the racing world, because there are only a few cams to pick from, and there's a limit to how high they can lift at the lobe, so everybody out there on the track is running similar lift in their Bullets. So, this isn't Paul's fault. It's what everybody out there has to face with their Bullet engines on the track. It's afflicting all the racers, and the street hot-rodders too. Cam lift is too limited.

So, what does this mean?
This means that even though the head could flow a very good amount of air at .600" lift, this engine never could lift to .600", and could only lift to .420", so the amount of air it could let through was limited by that valve opening to about 220 cfm, according to our flow tests. So essentially, the head had a port that was too big for the valve lift available from the cam. What was needed was to exploit that existing flow available at the higher lifts, and that's what we did.

First, we knew where we were going with the lift, because we had already developed that kit, and although Paul was getting higher lift than we had ever done with that kit before, we figured we could squeeze .600" out of it, so we looked at the ports and assessed the improvements we could make on it, to make it even better than it was.
The first thing we saw was that the port angle was a little lower than we would have preferred. It made a fairly sharp short turn on the floor, and we feel that was cutting down the flow because it couldn't use the entire circumference of the valve to flow the mixture in. It was way too costly to weld up the entire port, and start over with a completely new port angle. So, we worked with the lower port angle, and it came out nicely. Flows PLENTY.
It's now peaking flow at 285 cfm at .600" lift. And since we can access .600" lift with our roller rocker kit now, we can use every bit of that flow to make power.

Since the port size was already set at the usual 1.5" size that is seen in the Fury heads, and is able to reach somewhat over 8000 rpm, we did not change that size, but just re-shaped it to achieve the flow increases. And to make the most from this flow, a higher rpm limit is necessary to make the additional horsepower we want. So, the rpm limit is going up now.

To this end, a lot of lightening of parts was involved, including titanium valves and beryllium-copper valve seats, lightweight racing springs and titanium retainers, alloy roller rockers, custom valve guides, etc. The full kit of high rpm goodies went into this head.

The alloy roller rocker kit with high ratio is basically the same kit which we previously designed for the Big Head, but in this instance the desire was to use a bigger cam than the Ace cams which were part of the original kit. So, this meant that we needed to be able to make provision for .600" lift, instead of the .510" lift that we had in the last head we did with this kit. This presented some issues, but in the end we got it in there. It's the most lift we have ever gotten in a
Bullet head.

And to tie it all together, we now have a racing Bullet which is finally going to reach a higher level of potential than ever before. This bike is a methanol-burning, ultra-high compression, very high rpm, racing engine which should be able to use all the flow we are providing here.
And while I am not going to make predictions about what the horsepower is going to be, I will say that it's going to make a LOT more hp than it did before. If the guidelines of flow to hp are correct in this application, it has the possible potential to hit 60 hp at the rear wheel. Since things rarely are perfect, we could expect it to end up somewhere in the 50's for hp at the rear wheel.

Basically, the estimation figuring would go like this.
The "rule of thumb" for estimating hp from head flow is that hp at the crank should be 25.6% of the peak cfm flow of the head, in a full-race prepared engine.
If we take our 285 cfm, and subtract about 20 cfm for the flow losses involved from adding the manifold and carb on, that leaves us with about 265 cfm for the complete inlet tract.
25.6% of 265 cfm is 67.84 hp at the crankshaft, theoretically, if everything goes perfectly, and the moon aligns with the stars.
Subtracting the typical 7hp in drivetrain losses that we normally see with the Bullet, and that would leave 60 hp at the rear wheel, theoretically.
Since things are rarely theoretically perfect, we can expect some lesser amount, hopefully not too much lower. I am hoping for 56-58 hp at the rear wheel.

Whatever it ends up with, it's going to be way more powerful than any other Bullet out there that isn't running our kit, and it's going to be way more powerful than it was before. 
I am very keen to see how much can actually be gotten out of this thing in the real world, and not just theoretical. It has tons of promise. If any Bullet head has the chance to do these kinds of horsepower numbers, it's this head. It has the most of everything that we have ever done, or have ever seen in any Bullet head.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:57:32 PM by ace.cafe »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2014, 10:50:12 PM »
Had a long Skype conference with B.W. and the race team today. Went very well.  Just tying up the last few things now.
Very much looking forward to seeing what this kit will do on the track in the real world.

I'm about as excited as anyone could possibly be about this!

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2014, 11:18:41 PM »
Man that is Vincent BS HP specs which had a top speed of 125 mph and is also about 150 - 175 pounds heavier than a Bullet. This bike when completed should be listed in the single cylinder monster category.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2014, 12:17:08 AM »
It is going to tear the other bikes in the class a new a-hole for sure!  I can't wait to see what this bike is going to do on the track!      :o   ;D   8)

Scottie
Scottie J
Denver, CO

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 12:30:14 AM »
Man that is Vincent BS HP specs which had a top speed of 125 mph and is also about 150 - 175 pounds heavier than a Bullet. This bike when completed should be listed in the single cylinder monster category.

I can only estimate the hp based on the fact that it has enough flow and compression and rpm to meet those estimates. We don't really know what the real world hp will actually be until it is done and sorted, and on the dyno.
It may or may not meet the estimates.
I'm optimistic that it will.

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2014, 03:51:46 AM »
Ace , I think you just gave away all your industrial secrets.
I can hear  compittion / opposition grinding away in there work shops now.
The Bullet Whisperer may have to consider installing an antique super charger just to stay ahead of the pack on race day.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
Ace , I think you just gave away all your industrial secrets.
I can hear  compittion / opposition grinding away in there work shops now.
The Bullet Whisperer may have to consider installing an antique super charger just to stay ahead of the pack on race day.

I hope your not serious!  All Ace did was put out some figures, there isn't a freezing chance in Hell that someone could take that info posted and replicate it.  Short of actually buying one and scanning it with a 3D CAD laser scanner.

Scottie
Scottie J
Denver, CO

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
Okay well, briefly to the point about copying.
Copying is a fact of life. Especially in racing. "Racer see, racer do".
So, it's going to happen, once the impact of this thing hits home.
Our position on this is that we developed it, we have produced the parts and done the implementations in various applications, and we can do it better for less money than if they try to re-invent it themselves. So, if they want it, they should come to us.

This engine is the combined efforts of a lot of talented people working together toward a goal. Previous barriers have been broken down, and new techniques developed, which will now and forever be known as originated by us and B.W.
We are the leaders, and all copycats will be copycats. This is what it means to lead.

Our efforts are meant to win. We are not aiming at second place. It is going to run the gauntlet of real head-to-head competition on the real race tracks, against the best that anyone else has to offer.
If anyone else can do it better, then they will win. If not, then we will win.

I can tell you this. This engine is on the ragged edge limits for every possible performance parameter, and has gone well beyond what was previously was considered possible in a Bullet. It's got the most flow, the most duration, the most valve area, the most compression, the most lift, the most rpms, that is able to be gotten out of a Bullet with the stock 90mm stroke. To get any more than this would require a supercharger.
So, I don't know exactly how much it is going to put out on the dyno, but I know that we didn't leave anything laying on the table that we could have made more power with.
IMO, the biggest challenge for this engine is going to be holding it together while it is making big power at big rpms. And Paul and the team know this is a tough task, and have taken many steps to ensure that it will hold together.

It's a new powerplant in a lot of very big ways. It will need sorting. If we find out some new things by using it, and have to make some adjustments, we can do that.
This is racing. You push the limits, gather data, and make improvements. Things sometimes break during the process.
We want to win.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:44:28 PM by ace.cafe »

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2014, 04:34:10 PM »
Wow!

How do you gear a bike that makes more than three times the stock HP ? How about the transmission ?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »
Wow!

How do you gear a bike that makes more than three times the stock HP ? How about the transmission ?

The whole drive train needs to be upgraded to suit.
The gearbox is known to be able to take this much, but it might need frequent overhaul.
When increasing the loads to this kind of magnitude, everything wears out pretty quickly. It's part of the cost of racing.
The team is well aware of this. They have been racing most of their lives.

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2014, 11:59:12 PM »
I hope your not serious!  All Ace did was put out some figures, there isn't a freezing chance in Hell that someone could take that info posted and replicate it.  Short of actually buying one and scanning it with a 3D CAD laser scanner.
Scottie
A few drill bits, files,quart of Teflon , pizza oven, maybe some exhaust tape,reread  Ace's notes , and
few hours spanner time. How
 hard can it be?
;)
Okay this is really a fun call out ( and my other silly post)in recognition of Ace and team, to some incredible performance work.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:01:52 AM by REpozer »
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »
Just for clarity, here is the machine we are talking about in this thread, taken a couple of years back, this picture shows our 500 at a meeting in Pembrey, South Wales, where it won 3 out of 4 races [one second place due to complacent rider looking back just before the flag!]. This machine and our 350 Clipper which also scored a win and other good placings were at the top of their game back then. But, a couple of years is a long time in racing, where development work and wear and tear rarely, if ever, stand still and although the 350 has been sorted, the 500 last ran on a race track with a rattling big end and a fair amount of other wear after recording 110.5 mph on Pendine Sands just prior to that and this all brings us to where we are now ...
 B.W.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2014, 01:35:47 PM »
Nice what are you using for ignition on it?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2014, 01:41:11 PM »
Nice what are you using for ignition on it?  ERC
Hi ERC,
 Both our racing Enfields use a PVL / Rex Caunt Racing crankshaft mounted, self generating twin spark digital CDI ignition. These are ultra reliable and very precise in their operation.
 B.W.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:47:16 PM by Bullet Whisperer »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
In case it needs to be pointed out to anyone, that Bullet 500 racer is using the famous Norton "Featherbed" frame. A sharp eye will notice quite a few other exotic features all over this machine.

I think it looks great too!

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »
That frame brings up another topic nicely, I have always aimed for a 0.66 balance factor on my cranks, for both the 350 and 500cc machines, both machines having pistons and cranks of very different weights obviously. This brings me to this, I read very recently about a Cammy Norton expert using 0.66 B.F. for rigid and plunger framed machines, but 0.85 for Featherbed framed machines. We have experienced instances of cracking on our shortened 'Manx' frame and I am considering going for 0.85 B.F. this time round, once we know the weight of the new type piston we will be using.
 Also, a lighter piston than the big, heavy thing we have used up to now would shift the B.F. in the right direction, without altering the flywheel drillings etc and we may even be able to pre determine the desired piston mass in this case in order to leave the flywheels unaltered, although they will have to be split in order to replace that worn out big end, so they could be altered then if needed.
 B.W.

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »
That is one nice looking ignition system. I didn't realize PVL offered the crank trigger set-ups.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »
The balance factor will relate to the frame's characteristics in resolving the vibrations in the different planes. I can't comment on the featherbed. On the standard Bullet frame, we like 63%. That's what we use on the Fireball,  and it rides as smooth as silk. You can even see clearly in the mirrors!  Of course, the Fireball isn't doing over 8000 rpm, but it's great at 6000.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
I was Googling around for a while trying to find out how much power these latest high-spec racing Manx and G50 bikes have these days. Just to see how the competition stacks up, of course!

I came across this 2013 article which described a Summerfield 92 bore Manx, and a Molnar 95 bore Manx, both of which are some of the hottest big-bore short-stroke Manx racers out there on the track. The cream of the crop.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jn2BPFsK0JMJ:www.cycletorque.com.au/new-head-new-handle/+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Anyway, the upshot is that the Molnar 95 bore Manx was stated to have 53hp at the rear wheel, and the Summerfield 92 bore Manx was stated to have 54-55 at the rear wheel.
These bikes cost $55000 plus, for buying a new one.

Walmsley Matchless G50 bikes are rumored to be in the same power range, and perhaps even have a touch more hp maybe. They cost about the same, too.

So, if we can get to that 53-55 rwhp level with the Bullet racer, we're doing pretty good to stay right with the best, and ours doesn't cost $55000. It's down to the best rider at that point folks!

If we can get more than 55rwhp, then well......!

The interesting thing is that we have the same displacement, same valve size, same cam duration, same compression, same carb size, and similar/same 8000rpm+ rev range,....just about same everything as they have.
The main difference is that after a very exhaustive search of all the available cams for these other race engines, I couldn't find a single one that had as much lift as we have in this Bullet. The highest lift for a racing Manx that I could find was .545" lift on the inlet valve, with the hottest full race cam that I could find for it. We have .609" lift in this Bullet.
So, we have about everything they have, PLUS we have higher lift valves.
It's going to be very interesting!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:38:43 PM by ace.cafe »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:22 PM »
What an exciting build!  Great work Ace and BW!   :)

Scottie
Scottie J
Denver, CO

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2014, 12:16:38 AM »
That bike is gonna look killer with an ACE sticker on it!
 8)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2014, 12:36:32 AM »
That race bike pictured is f'n awesome with the featherbed frame.  Would love to know more about that oiling setup if it's not top secret.

But I do have to ask--did the exhaust bracket break, or is there just some optical trickery going on?  Or is the silencer really hanging that low??

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2014, 02:08:18 AM »
That really is a great looking bike!   :D

Tom, I know another bike that will look good with an ACE sticker when it's done.   ;)

Scottie
Scottie J
Denver, CO

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »

But I do have to ask--did the exhaust bracket break, or is there just some optical trickery going on?  Or is the silencer really hanging that low??
That exhaust is all there is of it and it tucked right under the engine, just off the centre line, so it never touched down, although it got a dent in it once when a conrod broke while racing and leading a championship at Lydden a few years back  :o
 Here are a few incarnations of this bike, from when we first built it, the oil filter part of the timing cover was cut off so we could sit the engine lower in the frame and a remote spin on filter can be seen above the gearbox, with lines to and from the timing cover. My Brother, Ian, cut 4" out of the Manx frame cradle, to shorten it because there were big gaps everywhere when we first placed the engine in the frame. It is one of the best handling Featherbed rolling chassis around - an advantage no Norton can enjoy, due to the space those engines require  ;) Our original high level exhaust is similar to the 'Woodsman' style one to emerge from India a few years later - but we did it first !
 I will try to find and add a picture of the most recent exhaust system used on this machine as soon as I can, to bring things right up to date.
 B.W.

dampking

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2014, 11:59:36 AM »
BW! Please get few Gopro cams for this bike! Would love to see some onboard video of this beast nailing other vintage 500cc+ bikes! :D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
BW! Please get few Gopro cams for this bike! Would love to see some onboard video of this beast nailing other vintage 500cc+ bikes! :D

+1000  ;D
Scottie J
Denver, CO

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »
Okay, so we are really pulling it all together now.
We have the technical theory working with the real world data, and we now have all the tools at our disposal to make these engines do what we want them to to.

I feel pretty confident in saying now that we can make a Bullet at virtually any range of power and rpm that is consistent with its displacement and stroke. All the way from lowly stock Bullet to something like this racer of BW's. And anything in between.

We know how to set the valve and port and lift and carb requirements to reach the flow delivery and target rpm for virtually any build. We have the data on enough cams and head flow and power output, and we have the tools and valve train parts to accurately set up any targeted outcome.

We have reached "nirvana". We are "at one" with the Bullet.
We are within it, and it is within us.
We can snatch the pebble from the master's hand, and walk across the rice paper mat without leaving a trace, Grasshopper!
 8) 8) 8)
 ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:16:16 PM by ace.cafe »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
A little later than anticipated - but here is the most recent incarnation of our 500 racing Royal Enfield, with the latest exhaust system fitted. This gave a considerable boost of some 3 bhp to the midrange power, while nothing noticeable went from the max power at the top end of the rev range. A shorter inlet manifold was fitted and used a little later, though, and it gave a tiny increase in max power.
 B.W.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:51:01 PM by Bullet Whisperer »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »
Okay, I got the final paperwork on the race head today.
With the carb on, and the whole inlet tract flowed in toto, the max flow recorded was 260 cfm. It took a little more loss with the carb and inlet tract than I expected, but that's what it was.

To put this in perspective, on the way the head came in from last year's season without our rockers or port work, the max flow at peak valve lift with that set-up was about 210 cfm with the carb and inlet tract on.
So, even in the worst case scenario, or you could say the most accurate scenario that will have everything on it the way it will be on the track, we picked up 50 cfm at max flow and max lift with these mods. That is calculated to be worth about 12.5 hp of flow increase.
They had 43.5 rwhp on the dyno last year, so add 12.5 hp to that, and we estimate 56 rwhp with this set-up, after it is sorted and optimized on the bike.
Attached is a pic of the inlet tract with the beryllium copper valve seats in place.
Also attached is a pic of the combustion chamber view.

We also saved a lot of weight in the valve train with the titanium valves and lightweight spring stack parts.
Saved 18.1 grams on the inlet valve, and we used a bigger valve there.
Saved 23.3 grams on the exhaust valve.
Saved 7.8 grams on the valve spring.
Saved 3.2 grams on each spring retainer.
Total savings in valves and spring stack parts was 63.4 grams of moving mass in the valve train.
To put this into perspective, our new exhaust valve weighs 61.1 grams, so we saved as much weight in all these parts as our whole exhaust valve weighs!

We also adjusted the shape of the combustion chamber to modify the squish area and reduce chamber volume, and at the same time the chamber walls were sculpted to be advantageous to flow after the valve.
The surfaces of the port are done with a rough finish to assist re-atomization of any fuel drop-out that may occur on the way into the engine. Valve seat angles are also cut to have these same effects.

Estimates are estimates, and we can't really say exactly what hp this engine is going to wind up with.
However, we can very confidently say that when you add almost .200" to the valve lift, and flow this much more air into the engine, and add about 1000 rpm to the rpm range, that it is going to have a very big positive effect on power. It's going to be much more powerful than what it was. We will see exactly how much it gets when it's sorted and on the dyno, and how it does on the track.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:18:58 AM by ace.cafe »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2014, 12:00:10 AM »
Beautiful Work!   8)
Scottie J
Denver, CO

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Scooter
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
Hi I was looking at the combustion chamber shape and see that it is no longer round. I was curious, as to whether pockets had been cut around the valves or the other area had been filled in ?. I have seen pictures of squish zones, (and I am assuming this is one), how efficient would one this small be ?.

Great commentary and insight as per usual Tom, and I wish BW lots of success.

cycleicons

• Neophyte
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2014, 12:58:52 PM »
Great stuff! Best of luck to all involved! Knockem' dead Tom and BW!

Cheers,
Leon

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »
Hi I was looking at the combustion chamber shape and see that it is no longer round. I was curious, as to whether pockets had been cut around the valves or the other area had been filled in ?. I have seen pictures of squish zones, (and I am assuming this is one), how efficient would one this small be ?.

Great commentary and insight as per usual Tom, and I wish BW lots of success.
First of all, let me just say that this is all looking very promising, Ace and thanks for all your input with this project!
 There will also be other mods to compliment the cylinder head modifications and hopefully contribute to an increase in power, such as a much lighter custom made piston, for one.
 Now to the squish areas - I have added these to several Bullet cylinder heads, both 350 and 500 size, with success. I get them welded in locally and in the past, have matched them and the crown profile of the piston to be used with each one to become a matched pair of features working in harmony. This time around, we have no piston as of yet, so the head and squish area have been 'optimised' as best as possible by Ace and his team and we will try and match a custom made piston to what there is above it.
 Here is an idea of what I have done in the past [and still do, for lesser machines] ;)
 B.W.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:37:24 PM by Bullet Whisperer »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2014, 01:50:40 PM »
Hi I was looking at the combustion chamber shape and see that it is no longer round. I was curious, as to whether pockets had been cut around the valves or the other area had been filled in ?. I have seen pictures of squish zones, (and I am assuming this is one), how efficient would one this small
Hi Kevin,
It's a little bit of both. The chamber was welded up with aluminum and then re-shaped. B.W. had already done much of this process, and we just filled a little more and did some shaping. The chamber now has a lot of 3 - dimensional contouring.
The squish is small, but it does reduce the chamber volume, to allow a smaller and lighter piston dome for high rpm use.
So, it gets some of everything we wanted, but of course it still is much too deep from the valve angles in these heads. This is just part of the vintage design, and we can only do some things without designing a whole new cylinder head. There are limits to what is financially feasible and also still fit the vintage rules. This result should be enough to reach the goals they set. If it does what we estimate, it should be enough to win the championship.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »
Where is that racing happening? I see that there is no safety wire, anywhere. Have the rules changed?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »
It's in the U.K.
I don't know the rules for the vintage classes there. B.W. would know.

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2014, 03:48:36 AM »
Hey BW,
Any chance you have a spare set of featherbed mounts laying around? I have a modified slimline sitting in my shop. It's just waiting to get something tossed into it. 

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2014, 09:04:01 AM »
Hey BW,
Any chance you have a spare set of featherbed mounts laying around? I have a modified slimline sitting in my shop. It's just waiting to get something tossed into it.
Hi Westie,
 As you probably realise, our machine is currently in bits so it is a good time to take photos of our engine plates etc, if that would help? At a push, I suppose I could even draw around them for you, but our frame loop is shorter than standard, so, unless you cut yours down, changes would be required. Don't forget that I also cut the oil filter housing off the timing cover, to mount the engine nearly 2" lower than would otherwise have been possible and made a remote filter work in place of the original.
 Cyrusb - I don't know what you mean by 'safety wire', but whatever it is, we don't need one here.
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »
Safety wire is required in most US racing to keep bolts and nuts from backing off. The bolt heads and nuts are angle drilled across two flats and small gauge wire run thru, and the tied to a fixed piece nearby. I think it is a vestige from before thread locking compound existed.
We also require belly pan catch pans which can hold all the engine oil, in case of a hole in the engine.
They won't let you on the track without these things in the US.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »
Aha, I misunderstood - lockwire - yes, we use that in abundance, for some reason I was thinking of those wires attatched to the rider that kill the engine when a rider comes off! My mistake, sorry  ::)
 B.W.

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »
I had forgotten about the oil filter mod. The frame I have has had the top frame loops cut off and a central backbone installed. Modifying this frame would not hurt it's originality at all. Hmm, maybe I could raise it up slightly to clear the oil filter.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »
Aha, I misunderstood - lockwire - yes, we use that in abundance, for some reason I was thinking of those wires attatched to the rider that kill the engine when a rider comes off! My mistake, sorry  ::)
 B.W.

BW - You MIGHT able to answer this, but may be irrelevant due to us living in different countries.  When you lock/safety wired you bike were you required to wire every single nut and stud that bolts the engine cases together?  Also, when doing this, you drill thru the nut AND stud, correct?  Curious as this is officially my first race vehicle build and new to having to use safety wire.  I'm thinking I'm going to need a few new drill bits to accomplish this task.

Scottie
Scottie J
Denver, CO

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2014, 03:26:52 PM »
For WERA and Ahrma, they have in the rulebook what needs to be wired up. On our bike, there are things wired that don't need to be, but it gets us through tech quicker. For the land speed stuff you are doing, read the rulebook and follow it to the T. I am sure they will point out missing things.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2014, 03:36:38 PM »

Cyrusb - I don't know what you mean by 'safety wire', but whatever it is, we don't need one here.
 B.W.
Ah, Just asked because I don't see any in the pics.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:42:04 PM by cyrusb »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »
BW - You MIGHT able to answer this, but may be irrelevant due to us living in different countries.  When you lock/safety wired you bike were you required to wire every single nut and stud that bolts the engine cases together?  Also, when doing this, you drill thru the nut AND stud, correct?  Curious as this is officially my first race vehicle build and new to having to use safety wire.  I'm thinking I'm going to need a few new drill bits to accomplish this task.

Scottie
Hi Scottie,
 I drill through just the flats on the nuts or bolt heads - usually in through one flat and out through the one next to it. A drill of about 1.5 mm works well for me and I start by drilling straight in at 90 degrees to the flat and tilt the drill once I have gone in by about 1 mm, so that the drill is pointing at where I want it to come out and that is the job done. It is just as easy to do this job free hand with a pistol drill and a vice, as it is to use a pillar drill, I have found.
 The only parts we have to secure are things like drain plugs, the screw in oil strainer plugs, rocker feed unions, oil filter cap nut [350 only for us], the spin on oil filter element on the 500 has a large 'Jubilee' type clip around it, with lockwire going through it and onto a nearby mounting stud, primary cover nuts - even on the dry clutch 500 and the gearbox fill and drain plugs. There may be one or two more that I have missed here, but that's about it in general.
 Don't forget to trim and tidy any stray ends of any lockwire you use and tuck them in out of the way - scrutineers really hate getting cuts from it, when feeling around under an engine, as I have witnessed on occasion, though not from our machines, I hasten to add  ;)
 B.W.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2014, 03:14:01 PM »
BW - Can you please post a couple pics of examples of how you wired things?  I don't want to screw this up.  I'd be pissed to build this bike, drive all the way to Utah only to be denied because I didn't wire my bolts correctly.    :-\

Scottie
Scottie J
Denver, CO

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2014, 04:36:45 PM »
Scottie, I have just looked through all my pictures and there is nothing of much use on the lockwire front. I think this is because most of the 'close up' shots are taken in the workshop, when the lockwire is usually removed, or not yet fitted before racing.
 These two are about the best I could find:

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »
Good enough!  Thanks!  So it looks like you drill thru the "corner" of the head as opposed to directly thru the center of the head?

Scottie
Scottie J
Denver, CO

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
  So it looks like you drill thru the "corner" of the head as opposed to directly thru the center of the head?

Scottie
That's how I do it at any rate, Scottie and I've had no complaints so far  ;)
 B.W.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2014, 11:00:35 PM »
Scottie J
Follow this link for information on lockwiring plus drawings of the correct way to position the wire.
http://www.byrongliding.com/technical/lockwiring/

Notice that in the drawings are for  normal right hand bolts that will unscrew if they rotate counterclockwise.

Notice that any attempt of the bolt or nut to unscrew in a counterclockwise direction will result in the twisted strands of lockwire going to the next bolt or nut to be stretched before the bolt head or nut could move.
This is the basis for deciding which side of the bolt/nut to put the lockwire on.

In the case of a large screw on item like a oil filter body, after the lockwire has gone thru the hole in the filter or filter housing tab, the twisted wire will be going around the housing clockwise until it reaches the lockwire hole in the static part.
Here again, any attempt of the housing to unscrew will try to stretch the twisted area of the lockwire.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »
They also make a tool that twists the wire up quickly and looks real nice. I worked with an aircraft guy that used them.  ERC

scottynewitt

• Neophyte
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »
Keep us updated on what sort of BHP you manage to get it sounds all very interesting

Scotty

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2014, 01:41:53 PM »
Keep us updated on what sort of BHP you manage to get it sounds all very interesting

Scotty
We are all very keen to see how much hp there will be, and also how broad the power curve will be. We want to look at the breadth as well as the peak. The cams have lobe centers which generally are expected to round off the hp peak a bit , for the benefits of broader power curve and more rpm extension above the peak hp rpm. We shall have to see how all these things come together on the Dyno and on the track.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:43:54 PM by ace.cafe »

scottynewitt

• Neophyte
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2014, 02:57:10 PM »
Thought I'd show my race bike project I'm preparing at the moment the engine in the frame is just a mock up so I could make up the engine plates

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
Looks cool!
Where do you plan to do your racing? Are you in the US?

scottynewitt

• Neophyte
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2014, 03:17:09 PM »
In a wet England so be getting lapped by Bullet Whisperer probably  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »
Sweet project!  You should start a new thread so we can follow your progress.  :)

Scottie
Scottie J
Denver, CO

scottynewitt

• Neophyte
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2014, 05:44:40 PM »
Good idea that if I get 5 mins tomorrow will start putting something together

Scotty

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »
Just in case anyone was thinking no more was going to be heard about this B.W. / Ace project, it is still very much 'on', but there hasn't been much to report while we have been waiting to fine tune a piston design. This is almost done, now, so we will soon know the numbers we need for crank balance and once the big end and crank are done, the engine will be put together again. The valve and rocker gear from Ace look the business and we are aiming for a very high standard with all of the other components. Even the frame has been checked, repaired and modified for more strength and better handling, the forks have also been overhauled and modified a little, so this bike ought to be quite different in several positive aspects in comparison to its' last incarnation. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long before I can post some worthwhile pictures  ;)
 B.W.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »
Do you care to mention who is designing and fabbing the piston?    ::)

Scottie J
Scottie J
Denver, CO

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
Do you care to mention who is designing and fabbing the piston?    ::)

Scottie J

Since it appears that B.W. is busy, I'll just say it is being designed be B.W.'s team to certain specs needed for the application. I have seen the drawing of the crown, and it looks real good.
I don't know who will make the final product, or if they will do it themselves.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2014, 07:09:22 PM »
Some news - sorry for the delay - there have been some developments, our 'mock up' piston arrived and a temporary bottom end has been assembled and fitted with it. This has enabled me to get an accurate enough idea of the required cylinder barrel height, to begin machining work on a barrel. We will then be able to make any last detail changes [if required] to the piston design, before going ahead having them made in alloy. As soon as that is done and it won't take long, we will know the weight of the pistons and therefore the balance factor counterweight required for the crank which can be modified as required and fitted with a new big end. And then, we just have to put it all together and see what happens !! You can see our 'Big Head in the pictures, with Ace's special high ratio rockers fitted. It also has titanium valves and special springs by Ace, to suit our needs.
 [As usual with my pictures, it may be necessary to click on the links below them to avoid them being totally huge  ::)]
 B.W.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:13:46 PM by Bullet Whisperer »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2014, 07:35:29 PM »
Aha!
I see what you are doing there!
Looks awesome!

BTW, I wanted to say that if you want easier access to the lash adjuster on the rocker arms, you can drill and tap access holes in the tops of the rocker boxes above each of the adjusters, and plug them with brass pipe plugs. This allows you to grind down a narrow 12-point spanner to get in from the rocker covers and on to the lock nut, and you can put a screwdriver down thru the access hole, and make lash adjustments without removing the rocker arms.

Everything is looking great!

I have contacted the webmaster of a popular motorcycle blog(The Kneeslider), to see if we can get some coverage about your bike and this project out on the web. I haven't heard back yet, but I will try to get him to contact you for some info/quotes for the article, if he decides to write about this.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »
Aha!
I see what you are doing there!
Looks awesome!

BTW, I wanted to say that if you want easier access to the lash adjuster on the rocker arms, you can drill and tap access holes in the tops of the rocker boxes above each of the adjusters, and plug them with brass pipe plugs. This allows you to grind down a narrow 12-point spanner to get in from the rocker covers and on to the lock nut, and you can put a screwdriver down thru the access hole, and make lash adjustments without removing the rocker arms.

Everything is looking great!

I have contacted the webmaster of a popular motorcycle blog(The Kneeslider), to see if we can get some coverage about your bike and this project out on the web. I haven't heard back yet, but I will try to get him to contact you for some info/quotes for the article, if he decides to write about this.
Hi Ace,
 Glad you like it and thanks for the info regarding rocker adjustment access, I will see how it goes as is, but it is good to know there is a back up plan if needed.
 I would be happy to co-operate with any possible write ups and hopefully we can have this machine running for mid season, all being well.
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Here is a short clip of a cylinder barrel being shortened, by yours truly ...
 B.W.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
Sweet!

You know what's the best part about all of this?  For 50 years or more, people have said that what you are building is completely and insanely impossible.  But yet here you are,  attempting to TRIPLE the HP in a 500 Bullet!  It's such an awesome time to be a part of!  But of course, Ace the Mad Moto Scientist has a big part to do with these accomplishments.  :D  And as you know, Tom is also helping me to triple the HP output on my 700 twin.  Again, previously insanely impossible.  Doesn't it feel great to push the envelope into new realms!?   :D

Scottie J
Scottie J
Denver, CO

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2014, 10:31:41 PM »
Interestingly, I just got an email nibble about this Big Head high-lift headwork from a racer in Oz.
Seems the word is getting out.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »
Interestingly, I just got an email nibble about this Big Head high-lift headwork from a racer in Oz.
Seems the word is getting out.

EDIT/DELETE:

On second thought.......  Let's just say you're taking over the Enfield Performance industry!  You're kicking ass and taking names!

Scottie J
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:56:23 AM by High On Octane »
Scottie J
Denver, CO

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »
We inched a little closer to our goal today, with the cylinder barrel machined down to the shorter height required [count the fins], the bottom of the liner also coming off. Just quickly collecting about 70 percent of what came off the barrel gave a reading of nearly 600g on the scales - you would need to drill lots of holes to get rid of that sort of weight!
 The top end was roughly assembled to reveal the squish and bumping clearance of the mock up piston and cylinder head are virtually perfect with one barrel spacer and a couple of suitable base gaskets fitted, one on either side of the spacer.
 Tomorrow, we will know how well the valves clear the piston [or not], going over TDC overlap. This means we may be putting the piston design into metal very soon. Exciting times draw nearer!
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
I predict you need a quarter inch of room for lift over TDC on the inlet side.

The rig is looking awesome!
I am absolutely on the edge of my seat with anticipation!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2014, 09:27:23 PM »
Looking fantastic BW!  Absolutely can't wait too hear/see you fire this baby up!   :D

Scottie J
Scottie J
Denver, CO

cafeman

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2014, 06:59:13 AM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned somewhere else, but I gather that crankcase is English vs made in India?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:50 AM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned somewhere else, but I gather that crankcase is English vs made in India?
Yes.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »
We now know what the weight of our custom made pistons will be, so this has enabled us to box the crank up and send it off for a new big end, further lightening and rebalancing. This will be a major step forwards, as once we have the crank back here after being sorted, I will build the bottom end ready for trial assembly work on the top end, as we should have the pistons here by then as well  ;)
 Here is a link to a dark, murky video showing the play in the big end as it was when the engine became rattly at a Mallory Park practise session - it was clearly time to strip the engine and take a look at it !!
 B.W.
http://s956.photobucket.com/user/rossemma/media/RE500No2crankwithwornbigend2.mp4.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:53:00 AM by Bullet Whisperer »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »
The rebuild process has begun at last !
 The reconditioned and much lightened [even more] crank assembly came home the other day and after much admiration of such a thing of beauty, new main bearings [four of them] were fitted into the crankcases and the crankcases assembled into a working bottom end.
 A modification was made to the drive side case, to enable fitment of a modern type lip seal, instead of the old bit of cork sandwiched between two washers, which never really works properly - this will also help prevent any air being drawn into the crankcase when the piston is on its' upstroke, a one way valve will be fitted on the crankcase breather  ;)
 [FAB in the picture titles stands for Fireball Asbo Bullet]

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »
More pics ...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
Looking very nice indeed!

I noticed in the  picture, which is labeled  RE 500 No2 FAB rebuild 6.JPG, that between the cam spindles, there is no oil catcher or passage to feed the roller bearing from behind, like there is in the India-made cases. In the India-made cases, there is a drilling from above, between the cam spindles, and also a larger spot drilling at the entrance of it to act as an "oil scoop" for this oil passage drilling.

What's up with that?
Is that the way all the old Redditch cases were?
Maybe adding the oil drilling there might help lubricate those rollers?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:11:01 PM by ace.cafe »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »
Hi Ace.
 Originally, there was a bronze bush where that small needle roller is now sited and the bush would have been scrolled internally, to assist with the lubrication of the one and only roller bearing fitted as standard. I surmised that the small needle roller which I have added [included in previous builds] would allow plenty of oil past from the timing chest when the engine is running. It seems to work just fine for us  8)
 B.W.

Bulletbaz

• Scooter
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2014, 07:49:58 PM »
Forgive my ignorance Paul - but what's that big red tool in the top picture, and what is it doing to the crankcase? Thanks!

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »
Forgive my ignorance Paul - but what's that big red tool in the top picture, and what is it doing to the crankcase? Thanks!
Hi Bulletbaz,
 That is an enormous valve seat cutting tool, from my days as a marine engineer - in the picture, I am using it to remove a lip in the drive side crankcase [Redditch type], in order that a modern press in lip seal can be fitted in place of the old cork ring squashed between two washers. I have used it for various other similar operations, including reclaiming a broken through timing side main bearing housing on a 350 Redditch Bullet, after an alloy welded repair - this damage was caused by someone not fitting the thrust washer on the timing side, allowing the timing side main bearing inner race to wander around and merrily grind its' way through into the timing chest ! Nasty  :o :o
 B.W.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:57:12 PM by Bullet Whisperer »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2014, 09:14:23 PM »
Paul, you are one handy man.    I hope to one day have a garage with lathes and industrial valve cutters and what not and hopefully be half as talented as you.  Great job once again.   :)   

And speaking of you doing custom work, how much would it run me to have you build me one of those custom 5 speeds you do?  I'm going to need something like that once I get my motor built.   ;)

Scottie J
Scottie J
Denver, CO

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2014, 09:43:58 PM »
Hi Scottie, and thanks for those kind words!
 The gearbox job is not expensive [200 here], that's stripped right down, two modifications and put together again. I don't know about shipping and taxes, though, they might be another matter  :o
 The 5 speed gearboxes have a shorter mainshaft than the twins, as is the case with the four speed Bullet type gearboxes. You would need to overcome that with either a custom made offset clutch centre and / or mainshaft in order for one to work on a twin - there is not much in it, something like 3/8", I think. The 5 speed clutch centre is also different to the 4 speeder, but there is no difference in the basket and plates that I am aware of.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »
The project inches ever closer to completion and the pistons are due to arrive any day now!
 The crank seal modification on the drive side has worked fine, just the crankshaft electronic ignition to fit and the bottom end assembly will be complete.
 This project has sown the seeds of a killer 350 Enfield race engine project, too  ;)
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:32 PM »
Very exciting, indeed!

I tell you, I am right on the edge of my seat waiting to see this thing go!

And the killer 350 race project, O M G!!!!!

dampking

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2014, 07:25:36 PM »
An onboard video! That's all I want :D

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »
An onboard video! That's all I want :D
+100!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2014, 11:57:51 PM »
I will have to try and sort some kind of filming out  ;)
 Meanwhile, we 'mocked up' the top end and checked the fit of a new, smaller fuel tank and new alloy seat unit we have had custom made for the latest incarnation of this beast ...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2014, 12:31:59 AM »

This is such a historic build!  It has been so exciting seeing this monster coming together.
Scottie J
Denver, CO

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2014, 12:42:06 AM »
Looking SO awesome!
 8)

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2014, 04:54:46 AM »
I really like it.  Just love the Royal Enfield big-head motor!

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »
Now everyone will want one! >:(

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »
This whole package is far too extreme for street use.
It's intended for engine speeds higher than 8000 rpm.

However, it could be "toned down" a bit, as a more streetable package, if desired. We can scale the head work to whatever rpm range is desired, and we have already done that for Kevin in Shetland with his Big Head Super Fireball, and our raised port GP head conversions for the India-made Bullet cylinder heads.

It's all a matter of scaling the modifications to the application, and since this race bike is the most demanding of racing applications, it has a very exotic set of modifications, many of which would not be needed nor wanted on a street machine. Just too radical for street.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
This whole package is far too extreme for street use.
It's intended for engine speeds higher than 8000 rpm.

However, it could be "toned down" a bit, as a more streetable package, if desired. We can scale the head work to whatever rpm range is desired, and we have already done that for Kevin in Shetland with his Big Head Super Fireball, and our raised port GP head conversions for the India-made Bullet cylinder heads.

It's all a matter of scaling the modifications to the application, and since this race bike is the most demanding of racing applications, it has a very exotic set of modifications, many of which would not be needed nor wanted on a street machine. Just too radical for street.
Sorry, that wont stop us from "wanting" it.
What's the expression? If ten will kill me, gimme nine? ;D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »
Sorry, that wont stop us from "wanting" it.
What's the expression? If ten will kill me, gimme nine? ;D

LOL!
 ;D

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
 A [not too] toned down version of the whole bike could be built for the street and replicas could be built for racing, too.
 Our 350 racer has what was built as an identical twin sister out there somewhere, although it was built about 8 years ago, so ours has moved on some since that build. That machine's last known whereabouts was Denmark, but it was for sale at the time, so it could be anywhere by now.
 A 500 Bullet engine, suitably tuned and fitted in a shortened Manx frame would make for a cheaper alternative to a real Manx Norton, while being just as quick and enjoyable / competitive. A Manx Norton can never be as short as our Manx framed machine, so cannot enjoy the handling and steering benefits that brings  8)
 For the road, 40 BHP, or thereabouts should be attainable and good enough to give a very enjoyable and exciting machine made along the same lines  ;)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2014, 09:06:48 AM »
Love, love that frame.  Maybe someday I'll get that 350 engine I now have sitting around into one of these Manx style frames and let the smart people here have a go at it to make a fastish, lightweight, high-revving-but-streetable bike...

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »
After making sure a modification to the rear engine / gearbox mounting involving an Interceptor type bracket on the back of the gearbox all lined up and fitted, the frame, swingarm and new alloy seat unit all went away for painting. I wanted to polish the alloy seat unit, but was outvoted  ::)
 Anyway, what you see below is no longer a mock up [apart from the top end], everything else is going together for keeps. I replaced one broken spoke in the rear wheel and checked and adjusted all the others and put a used racing tyre on, in readiness for running in and dyno testing, which shouldn't be far off now  ;)
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2014, 12:14:46 AM »
That is a VERY exotic bike!
I love it!

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2014, 07:30:23 PM »
More news - My Father, Dave is going to the Midlands tomorrow to collect the pistons which have been specially made to our [Ian's] design !!
 The top end assembly work will start on Friday, if all goes to plan.
 Meanwhile, I have fitted the top and bottom yokes and forks to the frame, put a new tyre on the front wheel and the rear wheel is ready, with a used tyre fitted in anticipation of some runs on the dyno, before racing at Darley Moor in just over one week's time, if all goes to plan.
 This machine's stable mate, the 350 Clipper is 'on fire' at the moment, having taken 4th and 2nd places on the Saturday at Lydden Hill a couple of weeks ago and after some adjustments, two wins on the Sunday at that venue, hopefully its' larger sibling will soon be doing likewise  ;)
 B.W.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
VERY impressive. Beautiful job. Was wondering it looks like the stand it's on has no ramp. Do you just pick it off when done.  ERC

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2014, 07:57:07 PM »
Absolutely FAB !!

Dying to see/hear the running report!
 ;D

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »
VERY impressive. Beautiful job. Was wondering it looks like the stand it's on has no ramp. Do you just pick it off when done.  ERC
Hmm ... yes ... that 'stand' is a new workbench specifically built quite recently by Ian for frame work. The frame was worked on ... then the bottom end and gearbox were put in to aid in the fabrication of an extra rear mounting point, which bolts to the back of the gearbox. The head and barrel are 'empty' of a piston at present - soon to be rectified - the front forks and swingarm have been added - and - before anyone realised it, a racing motorcycle is almost fully grown on the bench !!
 Team handed, we will lift it down before the wheels go on, but usually, bikes are built up on a bike lift, with the centre of the frame loop, or base of the engine resting on this wooden box, which has seen many projects through to completion ...
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2014, 08:27:06 AM »
Here's what I will be putting into the race engine today ...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »
Beautiful!
Glad to see the coatings on it too.

Anticipation is intense!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »
Nice!  I think that is the most massive piston crown I have ever seen in ANY bike motor.  :)
Scottie J
Denver, CO

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »
More progress, although we probably won't be racing this machine this weekend, unless anything short of a miracle happens [I was waylaid by a Suzuki DR 350 needing its' front forks rebuilt for a couple of days. The forks did not come apart as they are supposed to and took AGES  ::) ]
 Anyway, I am now in the middle of setting the squish and bumping clearances between the head and the piston, before moving on to see what happens between the valves and piston when I know the required length of the pushrods and tailor them to suit and install them.
 I know I have to make a little more clearance between the sides of the combustion chamber and sides of the piston crown - I need to grab about 0.5 mm on either side adjacent to the exhaust valve area to achieve perfection. This engine could have been hastily assembled to top anything it has achieved previously, in order to have it racing this weekend, but that just wouldn't be good enough - there is so much more potential here, with the job done properly  ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2014, 06:04:27 PM »
Looking nice!
How thick is that lead solder wire?

BTW, once you find the right length for the push rods, it might not be a bad idea to have a set of 3/8" chrome moly steel ones with ~.100" wall thickness standing by, just in case.
There is a hell of a lot of spring pressure in there, multiplied x 1.45 at the pushrod side by the ratio. That will fold most pushrods in short order. I know you have unique pushrod design, and I'm not discounting that, but I do have concerns about it with such high forces involved. A spare pair of one-piece chrome moly won't hurt to have on hand, IMO.

I also recommend some molybdenum disulfide break-in lube be put on all the valve train contact surfaces, to reduce friction and wear.
And I recommend that the cam spindle fit into the timing cover be nice and tight. All this force will be acting directly on the cam spindles, and if they can wiggle around, they will. And that might cause them to fret/work loose on the end that is pressed into the engine case. Well supported spindles on both ends will help longevity.

I am SOOOO dying to witness the running of this thing!
I feel like a nervous relative when a baby is being born!
 8)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:21:48 PM by ace.cafe »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
Hi Ace,
 The solder is 1.5mm thick and after some doctoring, I now have a very good piston to combustion chamber side and squish clearance.
 The inlet valve to piston clearance is a little closer than I was expecting, but not dangerous by my reckoning. There is plenty of room between the exhaust valve and the piston crown when they reach their closest proximities.
 The engine top end is now assembled 'for keeps', and the C.R. is 14.25:1, according to my calculations, with 39cc of oil going into the combustion chamber at TDC and the permissible +0.060" overbore giving us an actual 517cc swept volume.
 I take on board your comments about the pushrods and even though everything is just about ready to go, the rockers will be coming out again, for shimming the end float. We also have to come up with some rocker cover studs to clear the rocker bodies, so I can get at the pushrods to measure them.
 The cam spindles are the Redditch non adjustable type and a good fit in the timing cover.
 Rest assured, everything will be well lubed, checked and monitored when start up time arrives !
 We had a good day with it today and it is back on the ground with the wheels on, here are the pictures:
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
My calculator says this:

Camshaft, Rod Length, and Altitude Correction to Compression

Your engine summary is as follows: Bore 3.367 inches, stroke 3.54 inches, rod c-c length 6.875 inches, with a static compression ratio of 14.25 :1. Your camshaft specifications call for an inlet valve closing of 75 degrees ABDC @ .050"(1.25mm) lift point.

Your chamber volume is 38.98 cc's. With this camshaft your dynamic, or effective stroke is 2.44 inches. Your dynamic compression ratio is 10.13 :1 corrected for cam timing, altitude, and rod length. Your dynamic cranking pressure, corrected for cam timing, rod length and sea level altitude is 215.17 PSI.

Pictures are looking awesome!

EDIT:
Looks like the intake valve is pretty close at TDC. There is a lot of piston dwell after TDC, and the valve will still be opening rapidly. Did you check it for clearance at 5-25 degrees ATDC?
About 1.5mm clearance is good, and it can go a little closer in a pinch. I woudn't go any closer than 1mm clearance.
And you can take into account that there will be at least .25mm-.3mm lash clearance added in when it's hot. Your closest proximity of piston to valve will be when it is cold.

I realize that you know this stuff, but I'm just nervously double checking everything!
 :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:00:34 PM by ace.cafe »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2014, 10:14:53 PM »
Hi Ace,
 The space between the inlet valve and piston crown was a little tight, as per the picture, the minimum clearance was 0.8mm, with no free play in the pushrod. However, I decided I would add an extra base gasket of 0.25mm, to give things a bit more room. Other options are running a slight valve clearance and / or retarding the inlet timing by a small amount. We also need to shim the long spark plug on the original plug side by a small amount, as the gap on this was closed right down as the piston was taken over TDC.
 The compression makes it feel like there is a brick in there when turning the engine via a spanner on the rotor nut ! [no such resistance with the plugs out, though]  ;)
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2014, 12:57:44 AM »
Hi Ace,
 The space between the inlet valve and piston crown was a little tight, as per the picture, the minimum clearance was 0.8mm, with no free play in the pushrod. However, I decided I would add an extra base gasket of 0.25mm, to give things a bit more room. Other options are running a slight valve clearance and / or retarding the inlet timing by a small amount. We also need to shim the long spark plug on the original plug side by a small amount, as the gap on this was closed right down as the piston was taken over TDC.
 The compression makes it feel like there is a brick in there when turning the engine via a spanner on the rotor nut ! [no such resistance with the plugs out, though]  ;)
 B.W.
Regarding the options, the standard practice when changing rocker ratio is to add .001" of cold lash for every tenth of rocker ratio that we add.
So, in your case of increasing the std 1:1 ratio to 1.45:1 ratio, should add at least .004"-.005" cold lash clearance at the valve when cold. This keeps the cam's lash ramp in proper relationship, so that the valve is not opening on the lash ramp.
Check this valve lash clearance at the valve, with an automotive style feeler gauge between the lash cap and the rocker roller wheel. Just like you do with a car that has solid tappets.
With .005" cold lash clearance, plus the .012" lash clearance that the typical Bullet grows to when hot, would give a working valve lash clearance of .017". That's nearly  a half millimeter when hot.
That is not an excessive lash distance for very high performance valve trains, and some automotive racing valve trains use as much as .028" lash on big lifting valve trains in racing. So, please don't be tempted to use the regular zero lash when cold type of valve lash setting with this new rocker package. We really will need to have this added lash for proper working with the cam.

So, for checking purposes, you could set a .015" cold lash, and then run your TDC check for valve clearance, and this will reflect very closely to what the actual clearance will be when the engine is hot with correct lash(being .002" on the conservative side). Then you can set the lash back to .004"-.005" at the valve for regular running.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:13:52 AM by ace.cafe »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2014, 01:03:30 AM »
This bike is so freaking bad ass!  I can't wait to hear/see it run!    :D
Scottie J
Denver, CO

dginfw

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2014, 04:33:44 AM »
I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. Reading the back and forth conversation between Ace and BW is like listening in on two mechanical geniuses talking!
Dave in TX:   '01  W650
                    '14 Continental GT
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »
I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. Reading the back and forth conversation between Ace and BW is like listening in on two mechanical geniuses talking!

That's because that is exactly what they are.  ;)
Scottie J
Denver, CO

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »
That's because that is exactly what they are.  ;)
Thanks guys, you are too kind! I am still learning stuff from this as I go along - it is very interesting work!
 Here, we see things looking tantalisingly close, but friends, family a barbecue and some beer have halted proceedings for today ::)
 We hope to make some noise tomorrow afternoon, though  ;)
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »
Thanks guys, you are too kind! I am still learning stuff from this as I go along - it is very interesting work!
 Here, we see things looking tantalisingly close, but friends, family a barbecue and some beer have halted proceedings for today ::)
 We hope to make some noise tomorrow afternoon, though  ;)
 B.W.

OMG!
I can barely stand to wait!
This is going to be SO cool!

jimbocan

• Neophyte
  • THE FURY
THE FURY 1970
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »
I have posted a picture of yours truly aboard a Big Head Bullet raced between 1963-1971. This bike built by myself with the help of Royal Enfield Factory was the only Bullet 500 of its type used in the sport in the UK. It is interesting reading the posts on racer types now operating but I can assure everyone that Enfield were well aware of the Bullets capabilities and potential. If anyone is interested about The Fury as shown I will try an answer any questions.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Re: THE FURY 1970
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »
I have posted a picture of yours truly aboard a Big Head Bullet raced between 1963-1971. This bike built by myself with the help of Royal Enfield Factory was the only Bullet 500 of its type used in the sport in the UK. It is interesting reading the posts on racer types now operating but I can assure everyone that Enfield were well aware of the Bullets capabilities and potential. If anyone is interested about The Fury as shown I will try an answer any questions.
Very cool photo!
The Fury was also popular here in the US, especially on the Flat Track racing.

Please tell us as much detail about your Fury that you are willing to share.
We'd love to hear about it, and you won't have to worry that you'll lose us in the technical details. We'll know what you are talking about.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »
I would like to learn more about that Fury, too  8)
 Well, at 18.30 this evening, we wheeled our 'Fireball Asbo Bullet' around the corner and gave it a push ... I would like to say it started straight away, but it was a 50/50 call with the ignition wires and once we swapped them round, she burst right into life for the first time in well over a year!
 I only ran her up and down the lane, probably not exceeding 3500 rpm, but the Newby clutch slipped with ease in 2nd and 3rd gears as I opened the throttle. The throttle response is very lively and that clutch has never slipped before ...
   ! will recap on the basic specs and improvements soon, but we have more work to do to get her ready for the racing this weekend, where practise will be used for evaluation and running in, then we will see how Henchy feels about twisting that throttle open in a race or two  ;D ;D ;D
 Thanks for all of your help and input, Ace  8)
 Here is a link to some film of the first start up and run. Hopefully, I will be able to put it directly on here later.
 Thanks to everyone for their interest in this, watch this space!
 B.W.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10154392583335573

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2014, 06:42:27 PM »
Sounds like a pissed off beast that wants off its chain.  Too cool.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »
I just watched that video on Facebook.  What a sick beast!  The throttle response is insane, just blipping the throttle makes her want to scream.  Hope you get the clutch figured out.  Possibly worn plates from prior racing?
Scottie J
Denver, CO

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
Drat!
I am not on facebook!

However,  hearing about the Newby clutch slipping in 2nd and 3rd at fairly low rpms(for this race engine) leads me to believe that there is quite a lot of power there.  8)
And it never slipped before, and it had quite a lot of power before. 8)

I'm thinking this thing is going to be a monster!

I wish I could see/hear it running.

I can't remember the last time that I was this emotionally involved in a build. I have my heart and soul in that head!

I would love to see that bike on the podium on its maiden race!

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
You shouldn't need to be on facebook to see the vid.  I'm not and I can see it.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2014, 10:17:16 PM »
You shouldn't need to be on facebook to see the vid.  I'm not and I can see it.
I am out with my phone at present, and I am being asked to log in or create an account.
When I get home, I'll see if I can view it on my computer. I hope I can!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2014, 12:15:41 AM »
Okay, I got home, and I saw the video.
Holy crap! That thing has a bark!

From what I could tell, it seems like it gets moving pretty fast even at low revs. I think the torque looks good!

When that engine gets into the high revs, it is absolutely going to howl!

Job well done, Paul, Ian, and Dave!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:43:57 AM by ace.cafe »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
Video now on Photobucket, just click on the image ...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:11:26 AM by Bullet Whisperer »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2014, 10:28:31 AM »
Now loaded into the back of the van to go to the racing, here's what the 500 looks like, all done, out in the sunshine:

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »
Good luck Paul! 
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
Absolutely beautiful!  Good luck at the races!
Scottie J
Denver, CO

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
Looks incredible. Nice to see a race bike and have some insider knowledge about what's under the fairing.  Not that understood half of what was written - but nice to try and keep up.

Good luck. Go fast.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Sailorjohn

• Neophyte
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2014, 08:08:24 PM »
Let 'r rip.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »
Give them hell !

cafeman

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
Sweet! 8)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
Well, sometimes things don't quite go to plan.
 Some practise laps on the Saturday morning showed lots of promise, going up to about 6000 rpm for short bursts, but this was cut short when Ian thought the engine was starting to feel tight.
 Talk about always expect the unexpected - swarf from inside the new fuel tank had got through to the carb and starved the engine of fuel, no filters are used because of the high flow rate required and all fuel is filtered as it is poured into the tank in any case, so it is not usually something to worry about. Also, the cylinder head nuts had settled, allowing a blow at the head joint - these were tightened again to fix that.
 With the tank flushed out and a few other 'teething issues' dealt with, we tried some practise again on Sunday. Again, Ian reported the engine as feeling very 'punchy', but it was decided to pull this machine from the races, as further fine tuning, preparation and setting up are required to get her running at her best.
 Next up, Cadwell in a few weeks time, we will be aiming to run her in the races there  ;)
 B.W.

dampking

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #188 on: July 28, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »
Great Stuff! :D Good luck Paul!!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »
Things happen!

Always takes some sorting on a new build.

Glad to hear that it was "punchy". That is a very good sign of high torque. And we need high torque to make high hp at high rpms.
So, that report makes me happy about that part of it.

I read in the Darley Moor results page that Ian had some nice finishes on the other bikes. Congratulations on those!
He was quite a busy rider over that weekend!

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2014, 09:34:20 PM »
I took the top end apart today, nothing too alarming, I have seen what I need to do  ;)
 Meanwhile, these pictures are for Ace in particular - hopefully they will soon be a source of pride !
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2014, 10:25:45 PM »
Thanks for showing those pics, Paul.
It most definitely is a source of great pride to see those Fireball stickers on your 500 racer!

I'll tell you a little story.
When I was in my very early stages of learning about Bullets, I did some internet searches for info, and I read some articles and saw a website which told about these "Henshaw Brothers" who were racing Bullets, and a Clipper(or Crusader?). I read all that stuff, and I thought(still do think) that you guys were the coolest. I studied the pics of your machines for any hints that I might find. So you guys were very influential in my early years of Bulleteering. I find great personal happiness to have been able to participate in the efforts of your team. You guys are like my heroes.
I want SO much for you to win the championship, and also see you at the Isle of Man race. The thought of having our parts and efforts on your team at the  IOM would be like a dream come true!

I think we would definitely have to find a way to create replica racers of your 500, then. This is all just SO cool! I am loving every minute of this!
 ;D 8)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2014, 11:23:37 PM »
I'll tell you guys a little story too.  Watching the early stages of this project develop is what made  me pull the trigger on my Twin race project.  Both Ace and Paul are my inspirations for wanting to race a vintage bike and doing performance mods that all competition tells you that can't be done. 

The best of luck to you, Ian and the rest of the Henshaw Team this season.  I will continue to watch from this side of the pond with great anticipation which each of your races.   :)

Scottie J
Scottie J
Denver, CO

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
Calling Dr. Ace!!!!!

BW just posted a video on facebook that you want to see..........    8)

OH wait a minute, this may be an old video.  I think Paul may have tricked me.   ???  Looks like this video is from 2013
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:02:35 PM by High On Octane »
Scottie J
Denver, CO