HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Snowplow

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2015, 05:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need some help...  (Read 206 times)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
I need some help...
« on: March 23, 2015, 12:11:29 AM »
2008 Bullet, deluxe.
   Shortly after Uncle Ernie passed away from his accident, I had a similar getoff. I took a corner a little too fast on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skidmaster broke loose, with me ending up in the woods.
   The bike went down on its' left side, mostly in the grass. The damage seemed light, considering: The new 7" headlight assembly was smashed, tiny dent in the tank, tool box sprung, front forks tweaked, footpeg bent.
I cracked a few ribs and bruised my knee. At this point I lost all interest in the Enfield and turned in the plates. 3400 miles on the bike. This was in August of 2011, and the bike has sat ever since. I fogged the cylinder, keep the battery on a tender, and kick it over every so often.
   At my age, I am now on a "use it or lose it" kick and want to get it going again and started on the resurrection this afternoon, and hit my first snag. I bought a new footpeg bar, and it doesn't line up.
   Looking from left to right you have the frame, some sort of flat plate, the motor, another flat plate (not sure if it is part of the centerstand or independent) then a long spacer tube. The outer flat plate, motor, and inner flat plate do not line up. I am thinking maybe the centerstand got knocked out of alignment. What do I loosen first without the damn bike crashing down on me?
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Re: I need some help...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 12:19:39 AM »
I would create a "hanger" with maybe some heavy duty sawhorses or something on each side of the bike, and put a strong crossbar between them, over the rear of the bike, and hang it from the rear wheel with a cable or something like that. Then, you can remove all that centerstand stuff without worrying about the bike falling on you. You may have some bent stuff down there that needs replaced or bent back into shape.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:05:59 AM »
Welcome back, BRW!  When I first found this forum, I read through a lot of archived threads - your posts with Uncle Ernie were gold!  I miss him, and I never met him, or even exchanged with him here.

Hope you get your bike sorted, and back on the road soon!

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:34:22 PM »
mattsz: Thanks for the kind words. With Uncle Ernie's passing followed by the subsequent loss of two younger siblings, I realize we can go at any time, usually unprepared. I don't want to leave the wife with a bunch of unfinished projects.

Ace: What about draining the fluids and laying the bike on its' side? I already have the tank and seat off.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
mattsz: Thanks for the kind words. With Uncle Ernie's passing followed by the subsequent loss of two younger siblings, I realize we can go at any time, usually unprepared. I don't want to leave the wife with a bunch of unfinished projects.

Ace: What about draining the fluids and laying the bike on its' side? I already have the tank and seat off.

You can do that.
Any tin left on the bike could get dented.
It can put a lot of pressure on the foot pedals, so you need to position it in a way that you can access the things you are going to work on..

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 03:11:04 PM »
     Try loosening all the motor/transmission mounts. Head stays also. Don't remove the bolts, just back the nuts out several turns. Then with a pry bar you should be able to wiggle the engine enough to get the bar through.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 10:53:13 PM »
I can see why you want to lay it over. Not easy laying on the floor and get the job done unless you have a lift.

The plate holes can become elongated where the center stand mounts just from normal use. One reason is the center stand isn't bushed. I made my own bushings from a couple copper plumbing fittings and a little reaming. My Bullet was thrashed before I bought it and didn't see all the damage till I started to clean it up. All I can envision is Steve McQueen on my little Bullet jumping the POW camp, or at least that is how it looked to me. The hex cross bar was bent to hell and a bunch of the other parts were dinged. Since I did a RS shift conversion I decided to replace the frame parts under the motor with the ones designed for the RS shift. There are a few subtle changes and not really sure if it was necessary to do it, but since I had to replace the parts anyway I did the research through the parts book so everything jived.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you and your Bullet didn't get to banged up. Also good that you held on to it and are going to do the repair.

Just a bit of advise, repurpose the skidmaster as wall art and get yourself some K70's or something else with better grip. Also check your rims to make sure they aren't bent.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHTPI Police 103
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 02:26:58 AM »
Actually there is a special tool to do exactly what you are talking about. I may have the only one in the Western world. Assuming I am understanding you.... it is a hexagonal piece of bar stock that is threaded on one end to accept the bar that goes underneath the frame and a cone on the other end so it will line things up as you push it through. It can be a bitc* to do it without it. (but possible)

Adrian II

• Bulleteer
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 11:52:14 AM »
Nothing you or your friendly local machine shop couldn't replicate, unless Kevin has patented it. A new use for over-sized pencil sharpeners? Check whether your hex bar end has an imperial thread or if it's a more recent one with a 10 mm thread.

If the hole alignment is only a short way out, as I found on my Electra-X, you can always chamfer the end of the new foot rest bar on the shoulder of the threaded area or increase any existing chamfer a little to help ease it in (I say ease, you will of course be enthusiastically hitting the other end with a big copper-faced mallet ;D ). Don't take the chamfer too far as you still need to leave enough hexagonal section for the foot peg to get a grip. A dab of copper grease might not be a bad idea, either.

Regards,

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
No patent  :D  It was a factory tool that I found in the initial debris that passed as my first parts order