HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Low slung saddle

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 05:16:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Throttle cables - difference between 4spd and 5spd?  (Read 96 times)

Lugnutty

• Neophyte
Throttle cables - difference between 4spd and 5spd?
« on: July 20, 2014, 11:13:17 PM »
My '08 5spd Bullet 500 snapped its throttle cable the other day. The cable that was on it was identical to the cable in the spares box - 143322 and it comes up everywhere as a 4-speed throttle cable. Looking at the pictures on the parts sites, the 5-speed cable has a 90-degree bend at the carb side. This makes sense to me because it is the fuel tank itself that bends the 4-speed cable toward the front of the bike.

I am about to order the replacement spare and I am wondering whether I should just get the same cable I already had or get the 5-speed cable (as mine is a 5-speed). Aside from that bend, what's the difference in cables?
2008 Bullet 500 Classic Deluxe

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
Re: Throttle cables - difference between 4spd and 5spd?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:07:13 AM »
The cables are completely different. You need to get a 5 speed cable for a 5 speed etc. If you are unsure call us at 800-201-7472 and we can help you get the correct part

Lugnutty

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:23:39 PM »
Okay. I don't understand, then.
I bought my '08 brand new last year. It had a 4-speed throttle cable on it. It has a 4-speed throttle cable in the box of spare parts that came with it. I don't know if 6 operating months is the expected lifespan of this cable or it broke prematurely. If it broke prematurely, would its wear have been accelerated from being the wrong part?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:49:16 PM »
Okay. I don't understand, then.
I bought my '08 brand new last year. It had a 4-speed throttle cable on it. It has a 4-speed throttle cable in the box of spare parts that came with it. I don't know if 6 operating months is the expected lifespan of this cable or it broke prematurely. If it broke prematurely, would its wear have been accelerated from being the wrong part?
Try out the spare you have got.
It will be the same on the carburetor end. The only potential difference would be if the twist grip end is different.
Yes, the OEM cables are low grade.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head Conversion. Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available anywhere.  AVL mods available. UCE kit coming.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/

Lugnutty

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:43:58 PM »
The throttle end fits into the grip and the carb end fits into the carb. The cable does not bend properly for where everything is situated. I need to take the tank back off and wedge it in and force it to bend. Right now it does not want to make the sharp bend so the cable end is pulling out of the little socket and opening the throttle.

I see the picture on the 5 speed cable has this 90 degree bend in the cable itself.

That does look like it would bend it sufficiently to clear the tank.

Rant mode: I don't know if I got an "end of the Friday shift motorcycle" or what, but half the stuff on this bike is the wrong part from what it's supposed to be. I wonder if that is contributing to its constant state of mechanical failure.

I guess I should just order a new one. But still, that means I was given TWO of the same incorrect parts with this thing.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:03:04 PM »
This hard turn of the throttle cable above the carb is normal on Bullets.
That addition of the 90-degree tube looks like it would help. It appears to be a good addition to the cable.

However, I have used regular throttle cables without the tubing bend on many 5-speed Bullet applications, and they work as long as you carefully route the cable.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head Conversion. Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available anywhere.  AVL mods available. UCE kit coming.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/