HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

left side of the bike

in
Members Rides

56 Guests, 1 User
kodai
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 25, 2015, 03:59:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Conversion  (Read 234 times)

Lunchbag

• Neophyte
Electric Conversion
« on: January 17, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »
Last year my connecting rod broke and destroyed the engine casing.  While I agonized over what to do, my wife reminded me that I happened to be looking for a motorcycle with blown engine to do an electric vehicle conversion.  Although I had previously no intention of using the RE as a platform, it made more and more sense as I looked into it.  Here is a video of a bench test of the equipment and a preview of how it will be installed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2mVDMEmIt8
I'll post more when I get it on the road...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
Re: Electric Conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:21:36 PM »
My boss is building Hybrid 2 Impreza right now.  I tried to tell him to use a motorcycle motor, but he wasn't to use the Subaru motor.  I say do it!  It's a perfect motor for it, really efficient and best at producing low end torque.
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer  ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

ajb235

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:09:09 AM »
That's an interesting project!
What batteries are you using, and do you know the weight of the battery pack?

Good luck with this, looking forward to hearing more.

Adrian II

• Bulleteer
  • No Personal Text Yet
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 11:43:58 AM »
Sadly it's not just the weight but also the cost of viable batteries that's off-putting. One Electric bike was retailing at about $14,000, of which the batteries alone cost $9,000.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »
Awesome project Lunchbag!
If you don't mind sharing, approx how much do you have invested in components for the bench test?
Do you know the weight of the bench components?
I'm guessing the motor and trans out of that military weighs in at about 125lbs. Just curious of the difference in weight...may not be as much as most would expect.
Please keep updating with photos as progress continues.
Good luck!

Lunchbag

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 03:44:18 AM »
The batteries are Nissan Leaf modules.  I'm using 11 for this project (the Leaf uses 48).  The battery pack weighs 92 lb.  The motor is 39 lb.  Charger 13 lb.  Controller 8 lb.  Contactor 3 lb.  Framing metal will be a few more pounds.  I would like to end up at or below original motorcycle weight.  Weight distribution should be close to original as well.

I have just under $4100 invested.  Total conversion cost should be under $5k when complete.  I'll never recoup the cost but is has been a blast to learn all this stuff, and the building and riding should be even more fun.  I'm documenting the process pretty thoroughly and will one day get a good description online with photos, however it is a slow process for a first-timer so it will be awhile.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
Wait.....  Are you building a hybrid bike or car?  ???
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer  ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

Lunchbag

• Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 02:04:45 AM »
No, it will be an all-electric conversion of a Bullet 500

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 02:26:49 AM »
That will be cool!    :)