HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Bullet 500

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2015, 06:59:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Engine Rebuild  (Read 1391 times)

Damon

• Bulleteer
Re: My Engine Rebuild
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 11:51:20 AM »
So far the new 612 is running great. I added a couple more base gaskets to get the compression where it needs to be and did some adjusting to the timing and carb settings and it is getting better and better.
 I also ordered a new speedometer from Koso and a new ammeter from England and cant wait to get everything installed.
2005 Bullet 612 Continental

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »
Love that speedo!  While digital is not really right for an RE, it's what I'd do too.  The nacelle on the bike is one of it's best aesthetic qualities and if you want a tach that isn't hanging off the side, the only way to go is a combo gauge.  And if you're going combo, gotta have the analog tach.  The white face looks great.

Also, I'd expect the compression to edge up a smidge as the rings seat and start sealing better.  Sounds like you've got all the parts you need to keep it where you want it now.

Can't wait to see and hear this thing in the flesh!  Makes me want to find a basket case with a blown motor and dig in!

Scott
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:01:33 PM by Ducati Scotty »

Damon

• Bulleteer
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 03:09:38 PM »
Yeah I already had that happen after running it a while and breaking it in, it came back with 175 psi on the compression gauge. So I had to take the top end apart and per Ace's recommendation I added a couple more gaskets to my under barrel stack and brought it back down. I measured it again last week and it read 145 psi. So we shall see. I did order a couple more base gaskets just in case.
 I know the digital isn't really the right look but as you said I don't want to have a tach hanging off the side of the Nacelle and want to keep it. So this is the best option I could find. It is also way more accurate then the stock speedometer so I will know exactly how fast I am going.
 It should be all back together and perfectly dialed in before the Nickerson lunch so I'll be there!

Damon

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
The white gauge face looks classic, so it will all be fine.  Also, no more speedo cable since it's digital I'm guessing it's got a magnetic sensor.  Fewer cables makes for a cleaner, more minimal overall look.  Bring it to the Nick, even if it's in the back of a pickup ;)

Scott

Adrian II

• Bulleteer
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »
The nacelle on the bike is one of it's best aesthetic qualities and if you want a tach that isn't hanging off the side, the only way to go is a combo gauge.  And if you're going combo, gotta have the analog tach.  The white face looks great.

You can have twin clocks without a tach hanging off the side of the nacelle (I agree that just looks wrong), there's the twin clock alloy top yoke or even the RE (India) Thunderbird triple tree which lets you have whatever instrument bracket you want. (Photos from Hitchcock's web site)

Whilst the nacelle is a distinguishing feature for late 50's British and also most Indian Bullets the factory (factories!) did have other options.

About the worst thing I ever saw in that department was on an Electra-X that a friend of mine bought, the previous owner had added a tach, and mounted both tach and speedo onto a sheet of thin steel edged with thin angle (actually pieces of  Meccano, an old-style kid's construction kit they used to sell in the UK), with the whole thing bolted across the speedo hole in the nacelle. Hideous. Why do they do these things? My friend still plans to put it back to original!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Damon

• Bulleteer
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »
Here's a little video of the bike running. I've got about 400 miles so far and it's running great!

And a picture of the new speedo installed

darmst6829

• Bulleteer
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 10:10:49 PM »
Hey Damon the bike sounds great!

spooge

• Neophyte
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 10:33:35 PM »
Love bike sound great. You use all hitckok parts. Nice to see real performance build by skilled hand  ;D

darmst6829

• Bulleteer
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:02 PM »
Hey Damon, nice to see you at the VME meeting tonight. Great bike you built up!

Dave Armstrong

Damon

• Bulleteer
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 05:28:18 PM »
Thanks Dave,

It was good seeing you again. I'm going to try and make it to that event you talked about!

Damon

darmst6829

• Bulleteer