HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

my bullet

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2015, 06:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: clutch plate springs  (Read 154 times)

Possm_23

• Scooter
clutch plate springs
« on: April 16, 2015, 12:50:09 PM »
Whats the real advantage of adding the 3 heavy duty clutch springs?
Take your time leaving but hurry back

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Re: clutch plate springs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »
Better ability to "hold" and prevent slippage due to power and torque. Not really necessary with stock bullet at what...22hp. It's a must, if you've added performance and increased the hp.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »
If you add them, they go in every other spot.
There are 6 clutch springs, so you want them spaced for even pressure across the pressure plate. Fireballs often use 6 hd springs and Barnett plates and Type F fluid, and sometimes it still slips from the power.

Possm_23

• Scooter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 02:23:24 PM »
Take your time leaving but hurry back

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »
The 3 heavy springs sort out clutch slip arising from the average bulleteer's pipe and carb upgrade. They also move you further along the clutch drag curve, with poorer disengagement and a heavy gear change. Hitchcocks offer a bracing kit that ties the outer gearbox  cover to the inner. This stiffener is helpful for restoring clutch lift when you have harder clutch springs, and is easy to fit.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
Sorry to High Jack this thread, but about springs and clutch rod pushing to disengage the clutch, I'm convinced a change to pulling the clutch rather than trying to push the plates apart is a better idea. I've looked at several of the new bikes and they employ this method with the clutch cable going directly to the left side of the bike. If the outer primary cover is beefed up to handle the extra force applied when pulling the cable; why couldn't the cable be used to pull the clutch pack apart rather then pushing it apart from behind the gearbox? The newer bikes seem to be using this improvement. I also notice the Triumphs use this scheme too. Appears to me it would yield better clutch lift, something the older Enfields desperately need.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet 

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 06:06:09 PM »
The primary case cover would have to take an awful lot of beefing up to be less deformable than the gearbox outer cover. Also, it sits on a thick squashy rubber gasket, which would itself squander cutch lift.

However, I applaud your fresh thinking about this. The RE four speed box clutch makes a pretty poor show of getting those 22 horsepower where they need to be. 

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »
They used a setup like that on the twins. Scottie has one on his.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.