HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Seward Park

in
Members Rides

48 Guests, 5 Users (1 Hidden)
medra42, suitcasejefferson, Arizoni, TheContinental
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 23, 2014, 01:40:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RE/Indian Values  (Read 292 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Re: RE/Indian Values
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
Fair enough.  I was skeptical myself due to the total lack of important info and super cheap price.  I guess I was more curious as to the reputation of this "JCC" company.  I'm really starting to have my doubts with eBay.  It seems like the Chinese are putting out counterfeit everything these days.  I was even recently reading about batteries for my e-cig, only to find out that one of the best brands, Efest, is not encountering mass amounts of "rewrapped" generic batteries and are pulling a Joe Lucas because they can't handle the average the authentic are rated at.

I only deal direct with the companies that make the products that we buy. I never trust anything off Ebay. My suggestion is that if you want pistons for your bike, then get a recommendation from Paul, and go to that piston company and order some from them.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 07:05:51 PM »
It was actually Paul's suggestion that got me to start looking at Triumph pistons, and in the process found out the rods are almost identical.  But, there are a lot of different companies making them, so I'm just trying to find the best bang for the buck here in the States.
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer  ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 12:33:59 AM »
HOOctane
I've read all of the posts in this topic and I'm totally confused.

You say you want to sell your Blackhawk.  Then, you get into rebuilding it as a Cafe racer with some super duper engine in it with high compression pistons, different cylinder heads, different drive belt system plus a cafe racer seat etc. plus finally get around to fixing the damaged gas tank you already received insurance money for.

I can see fixing the damage but souping up the engine by adding a bunch of unnecessary stuff will never generate enough money difference to pay for the cost of the parts you want to install.

It's the same as the guys who spend $55,000 on building a hot rod that won't sell for over $30,000.

How about just rebuilding it so it's just a good, basically stock engine in as good of shape as it can be?

I think that is what most people that are in the market for a Royal Enfield twin would want.

No offence but very few people would be willing to pay a dime for some souped up engine built by a unknown engine builder.
Yes, I'm sure you could do a good job of it but without a proven track record (no pun intended) a prospective buyer has no way of knowing that.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 01:16:23 AM »
I totally understand where you're coming from Arizoni.  I confuse myself sometimes, go figure.  :)  Basically, 18 months ago life was good.  Things were happening, I was starting to get recognition, had a business partner ready to back my own custom shop, had customers lined up wanting work.  I had it all figured out and was finally going to be able to build my dream race bike.  And then........  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing happened.  Every job I had lined up backed out.  I had a H3 Kawi lined up for a full restoration, guy tells me 3 different times "I have cash in hand".  Tell him I'll do it for $1200.  Tells me "Oh yeah, that sounds great!  That's exactly how much I wanted to spend.  I'll get back to you next weekend to schedule a drop off time."   Never heard from him again, just like the rest of them.  I don't know if they find someone to do it for cheaper, or if they're bullshitting or what.  That being said, times are a little on the tough side right now and had to bail on the original race bike plan.  :(  The only reason I contemplate selling the Blackhawk is, well, money talks.  I truly don't want to sell it, or anything I have for that matter, but I also think of what I could take care of and do with $5K.

But, rather than sell the Blackhawk just to build the other bike, I've decided to just keep working on them both. I'm crunching numbers to see what it takes to build a nice little street/sport motor instead, but within a reasonable obtainable budget.  And right now, I think I can build a Hot little motor using Triumph pistons and rods for around the $1500-$1800 mark.  Just keep saving a little money here and there and knock it out 1part at a time until I have a new built motor.  Then drop the motor in the Blackhawk and start building the Chief.  :D

Oh, and the insurance check was never in my intentions to use for the damage to the tank.  I used it to replace the electrical system, rear sets, fork seals and a couple other things.

*POST HAS BEEN EDITED*
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:14:55 PM by High On Octane »
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer  ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 01:27:53 AM »
Ace - I stopped by another Brit bike shop by my work.  He recently bought a lot of parts from a couple of chaps who had a dealership and sold just about every British bike manufacture for 75 years.  I told the guy I wanted 10.5:1 pistons for a T120.  He digs and digs, finds a pair 72mm AJS pistons, but wasn't too impressed.  Digs some more, finds a pair of OE RE 700 +.020 .  :D    THEN he found these!  I'll let the pics do the talking.  He said I can have the pair for $130 cash.