HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Brooklyn Bullet

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 03:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nfield Gear Tan Saddlebags on '02  (Read 845 times)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Nfield Gear Tan Saddlebags on '02
« on: December 30, 2013, 04:25:01 AM »
So I picked up a set of these:

The problem was the straps on the back made them look sloppy and pinched at the top:

So I tried to fix it with some basic fasteners and rings, which were better, but still crooked and not quite right:

So I spent about $3.00 on some conduit, end caps, clamps, and used some paint and clear coat I had sitting around:

Made some home made brackets to mount them on:

Here's how they came out:

Nice, straight, and level.  Went for a ride today and nothing came loose, I even had to take my leather jacket off, fold it up, and stuff it into one of the bags and none of the mounting flinched.  Pretty happy with the outcome.  I could have probably purchased some kind of generic mounting kit but not for as little as I invested here and besides, what fun would that be...

-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Re: Nfield Gear Tan Saddlebags on '02
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »
Perfect!  Reminds me of an older discussion here about mounting bags on a C5 and keeping them off the fenders.  We talked about rigging some sort of bracket similar to yours:

Nice to see a simple and effective solution in place!

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 03:16:23 PM »
Nice job, azcatfan!
Simple, inexpensive, functional, and tough!
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:01:51 PM »
Great idea and pictures by azcatfan. 

I followed the same for my G5, because the saddle side bags were rubbing the rear shocks and had completely scrapped its air tube.

By attaching a pipe to sissy bar, the bags hang further away from shocks and do not touch any part of rear shocks.

THANK YOU azcatfan.   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:29:25 AM »
That's great singhg5! I'm glad it worked for you  8)

sbenson619

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 03:58:30 AM »
What store did you get all those parts from?

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 04:43:43 AM »
The saddlebags were from the local Royal Enfield Dealer, the other stuff was from an Ace Hardware Store.

FastDoc

• Bulleteer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 08:56:55 PM »
I am expecting my bags this week and will be mounting them.

I like your system but my question is will the Adel clamps slip/rotate? It seems to me a weight in the bags will apply a rotational force, and the bags will settle to their original position...

I also question the strength of the clamp, especially as it applies to fatigue fractures from vibration and flexing.
Happily riding in the southeast Washington desert
Bikes owned:

2004 Ducati ST4S-ABS
2007 Honda Gold Wing 1800
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S Dualsport
1998 Yamaha YZ400F racebike converted to Dualsport
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Other stuff:

2002 Maule airplane
1996 Corvette
1992 Ranger 4X4

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 11:08:08 PM »
I've been using mine since I posted this.  I use those bags daily and I have even had them loaded for a camping trip.  I used some clear tubing to protect the subframe from the leather and the clamps, this also provided a tighter grip for the clamps.  I applied a bit of pressure once they're on and tight, where the two clamps meet, and I tweaked it until it had the right appearance for me.

You may get in there and figure something better out, so far this has worked alright for me.  If you're a fabricator at all, it wouldn't be hard to make a wire bracket then clamp it to the subframe, and it might be more secure.

Truth is, while I use the bags, I've only once used them for heavy things.  Typical usage would be my leather A2 jacket, a few tools, bike cover, baby wipes package, then whatever I happen to be picking up while running errands.

When I took the bike camping I had my gas, cooking gear (single person), and some water in them.  I was being mindful to keep as much of the weight down-low as I could, and I didn't have any worries about it failing.

When you run the leather straps in the back, you can still run them around the subframe for extra support, maybe even a few zip ties, but then they'll be harder to remove.

FastDoc

• Bulleteer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 04:29:10 PM »
I like your method, and I appreciate the effort you put into documenting and sharing it with us. I will likely duplicate it. :)

It occurs to me I mostly use the RE for commuting, with maybe my lunch and some extra riding gear and a few DVD's to return to the library. So, I won't need to carry much that is heavy. I have other bikes with integrated hard luggage for that, like the Gold Wing and the Ducati.
Bikes owned:

2004 Ducati ST4S-ABS

Other stuff:

2002 Maule airplane
1996 Corvette
1992 Ranger 4X4

FastDoc

• Bulleteer
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 03:42:27 PM »
Just a note if it helps anyone out there.

I received my saddlebags and I do not like the way they mount. To me, it does not seem safe and secure, especially with a passenger. They simply do not fit the bike to my satisfaction. I have them packed up to return today.

I could create a mounting system, but for over $200 a pair I'd expect them to work for me without extra time, expense, and effort.

YMMV, but in my case for the Enfield I'll use a backpack. To carry anything more than will fit in a backpack I'll ride something else.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:08:07 PM by FastDoc »
Bikes owned:

2004 Ducati ST4S-ABS

Other stuff:

2002 Maule airplane
1996 Corvette
1992 Ranger 4X4

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »
I had followed azcatfan'c C5 design on my G5 for saddle bags to keep saddle bags away from shocks. It worked for some time, but then bags started to touch the rear shocks again as the rod sunk into the soft imitation leather bags at the top while the bottom of bags rubbed against shocks. It really needed a guard of some kind that runs up / down / across the rear shocks to keep the bag away from them. C5 has stays/bars for rear fender which protect rear shocks but G5 does not have such bars/stay.

I went to Ace hardware and picked up new 2"x5/16" bolts/nuts/washers and vinyl-coated metallic stakes 28". Attached them to the frame as shown in photos. These are my new improved Rear Shock Guards for G5 :D. They stop bags from rubbing the rear shocks. Will see how it works in the long run.   
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:44:28 PM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »
Well done singhg5!  You're right, my iron barrel and those C5s have that subframe area that the bags rest on.  I just put some clear plastic tubing around those to keep the paint safe  :-)

I know Mattz was looking for something like this, what a great and cheap solution   8)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 01:28:22 AM »
Azcatfan - you remembered!  ;)

I cut the yoke of my throwover bags and screwed the mountings to the bike (shown here with the bench seat mounted, but it's the same with my solo seat and luggage rack):

The "fender stays/bars", which the B5 also has, don't help with my installation.  The bags rest along the length of the bottom fender rails, following the angle, so they're closer together at the rear end and they point outward as you go forward.  As a result of this, the lower shock acorn nut on the left side is rubbing the bottom inside edge of the bag, and on the right, the axle nuts and brake wear pointer are actually chewing up the bottom inside edge of that side.

Rear view - you can see how the traveling rear end hardware would chafe the bags:

I've been trying to sort out a stand-off bracket to keep the bags clear, and retain the easy on-off attachment I've worked out, but so far all my ideas look like crap.  For now, my simple solution is: split black foam insulation for 1/2" pipe - the long kind that looks like those swimming noodles.  I just cut  a couple of pieces to length and pop them on the lower stays - they hold the bags away enough to keep the moving suspension parts from chafing, and with the bags on the bike, you can't see the foam.

Still want to find a better looking solution, one that can stay on the bike with or without the bags and not embarrass me.

What I really need is double sari-guards...  ;)

waldopic

• Neophyte
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 10:29:51 PM »
New to the forum.  I to was disappointed with the bags and the whole mounting system.  My local RE dealer installed mine and in short time they were rubbing on painted surfaces and sagging like a 70 year old with 50 yr old implants.
Dealer suggested the "side bag mounting brackets".
I have them but don't like the way they mount to the shock absorber top post and the fender.
I am resorting to a custom built bracket, simple and cheap.  I'll post photo when finished.
Thanks for advise.
Waldo