HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Not Mine

in
Members Rides

46 Guests, 3 Users
dampking, Mr.Mazza, Lane
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 05:44:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nfield Gear Delux Pedestrian Slicer  (Read 673 times)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Nfield Gear Delux Pedestrian Slicer
« on: January 09, 2014, 05:22:40 PM »
Shortly after I took ownership of my '02 Bullet, my wife purchased one of these from the Nfield Gear website.  This is my review of the product, and perhaps some helpful ideas for those looking to purchase it.

The plate shipped first.  For those that only want the plate and hardware, this option is all you need, for those that want the "Royal Enfield" or "Bullet 500" you have to order the water transfer stickers separately.

The kit contains one stamped (primered?) plate, two stainless fasteners, and for those who order the sticker kits, two water-transfer stickers.

I scuffed the plate with a sanding sponge to give it some grip, I then sprayed it with a black primer, sanded with light grit, and primer again.

I then applied color (black) in several coats.  Making sure on no runs or drips, I then applied several stages of clear coat with 2k-3k grit sanding between.  All products were rattle-can products that can be found at any Ace Hardware.  I applied a light coat of clear on top of the stickers after they were dry. Now I did this because I wanted the finish to look similar to the paint on my bike. 

*Not all of these steps are necessary, particularly if you like the "aging patina" look.  I recommend some sanding and painting so that the stickers have a smooth and clean surface to apply to.

Next was drilling the fender, which is nerve racking if you care about your finish.  The kit doesn't come with a template or instructions, but it's a pretty straight forward process.

I waited until I had reason to pull the front wheel off or remove the fender so I had the slicer ready when it was time to do the front brakes.  This gave me the time to allow each stage of the painting process to harden and cure. 

I don't have a Motorcycle lift, so I just used a chunk of wood (from my neighbor's fence) under the center stand, and used a jack stand to keep the weight on the rear tire and center stand.  These four points of contact were pretty steady.

Here are the steps I took for drilling:

-Measured the fender width with a soft tape measure: it was 6" wide.
-Marked the middle of the fender (3") in FOUR different places to assure that alignment was good. I used liquid paper as a marker as it is temporary and cleans up quickly.
-Held the slicer plate aligned over the four marks, using my fingertips as cushion so as to not scratch the fender paint.  My wife then marked the location of the bracket holes on the fender.
-I then taped over the areas to be drilled (if you haven't drilled a painted surface before, this help keep the paint from cracking while you drill and offers some protection from an 'oops' while you're staging the bit).
-Used a smaller-than-needed bit to start the hole, making sure to use a bit that was made for drilling metal, slow and steady pressure, let the bit and drill do their work.
-Stepped up to the needed diameter drill bit and finished the drilling.

I then placed the mounting brackets into the holes, loose-fitting them before snugging anything up.

Here's the trick, don't tighten anything up until you have it all together. The curvature of the fender will cause the bracket to be out of alignment with the holes provided on the plate if you tighten them all the way down before attaching the plate.

I went ahead and used some rubber grommets I had sitting around between the top of the fender and the bottom of the brackets, but its not a necessary thing.

Once I had the plate loose-fitted to the brackets and the bracket loose-fitted to the fender, I used red Locktite on the nuts under the fender, and blue Locktite on the screws that go through the plate holes.  I figure I may need to remove the plate at some point, but I wanted stronger insurance on the brackets.

All Done!

To me it looks as much a part of the bike as if it were stock :-)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: Nfield Gear Delux Pedestrian Slicer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:46:36 PM »
It looks GREAT.

Nice, easy to follow instructions and the photos make it even better.

Thanks. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:02:34 AM »
Thanks Jim,

My guess is that there are folks who would want one but may have been a little intimidated by the thought of punching one in.  Hopefully this sets anyone's mind at ease, and they look pretty cool. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
Nice job with the rattle cans!  Well Done!  8)

Scottie
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building The 1st Ever Ace Performance Twin

Join My Facebook Group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/961468183867002

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »
Thanks Scottie!

I used to run a side business as an auto detailer.  Among the many things it included was scratch and swirl removal.  I learned the importance of bringing up the clear and all the prep work to get it right.

Since I was waiting for a reason to remove the front wheel before installing the slicer, I had weeks of working on primer/color/clear.  The wet sanding to remove drip and orange-peel in the multiple coats of clear was the hardest.  In the end the clear came out like glass   8)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:41:33 PM »
I must say tho, I am a little surprised that you didn't have issues with the clear sticking after wet sanding that fine.  Most times when recoating, if you sand any finer than 1000grit the new clear tends to balls up and not lay out flat like it's supposed to.  Glad that wasn't a problem for you.  :)

Scottie
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building The 1st Ever Ace Performance Twin

Join My Facebook Group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/961468183867002

suitcasejefferson

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 06:55:33 AM »
Glad to find this. One of these will probably be the first accessory I get for my bike. Definitely going for the vintage look. I don't know if I will use the oem stickers, or just put some letters/numbers on it, like a real license plate. Plates like that are meaningless in the U.S. anyway.
I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.
2013 Royal Enfield B5
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2001 Yamaha XT225
2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
2009 Genuine Stella 2 stroke
1980 Puch Maxi ZA50 2 speed
1971 VeloSolex S3800

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »
Hold on, suitcase!  Don't go anywhere until you check out this baby!

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16136.0.html

caricabasso

• Scooter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 09:13:31 PM »
I redid the front number plate trying to make it less sharp with an edge riportatto.
I made ​​from a sheet of iron, and I painted the words with  gold paint  spray.