HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

the scoobmobile

in
Members Rides

46 Guests, 2 Users
Paradaxos, bluesdaddy2
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 05:20:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drive Shaft conversion kit?  (Read 6006 times)

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Drive Shaft conversion kit?
« on: June 29, 2008, 06:39:29 AM »
well, I'm not one to down the tried and true chain, but I'm a very utility motorcycle kind of person and modern bikes just don't fit my aesthetic, but I don't really relish the idea of taking a long road trip on a Bullet and carry around an extra chain or three. I know that with proper maintenance a chain will take me anywhere i want to go, but I really would like to be able to not have to worry about that sort of thing in the future. once the UCE engine comes out, I'm going to have a bike that's in for quite a bit of use. I'm not sure if it's that easy (I'm sure it isn't), but if it is possible, a drive shaft conversion would definitely be on the top of my Christmas list.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Drive Shaft conversion kit?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »
    I would be amazed if there was one. I just figure I'll wear out the original chain and then replace it with a high quality one-maybe an O-ring type?
    jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:28:46 PM »
Will an O-Ring type fit? I heard they were wider and would not. :-\

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 06:09:20 PM »
Ural makes a pretty minimalist one. if they could get something small but still able to provide something close to the torque provided by a chain, then i would be all over it. i wouldn't care much if it cost alot, the right materials could turn your standard Bullet from a retro thumper into a utility machine. i love both, so that's why i suggest it.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 02:50:20 PM »
    This hardly seems worth the trouble. Regular maintenance and modern chain lubes. greatly extend chain life. Even the stock Enfield chain is pretty good. You should be able to easily get 15,000 miles . There are some great non O-ring chains to up grade to, such as the Tsubaki QR.  Every chain failure I see is customer induced. It's either lack of  or improper maintenance.
     Even if you do need a chain on the road, there are over 10,0000 motorcycle stores in the US. I am sure one will be near you and have a 530 chain for you.
     So don't worry, be happy. Just keep your chain lubed and adjusted. This should be part of your regular routine. Then you can tell if it is near the wear limit and replace it before you go on a trip.

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:01:36 AM »
Drive shaft assemblies are very heavy, and of questionable value on a lightweight RE.  O-ring type chains are a quick improvement over the factory setup, but they do not address the primary limitation of chains--frequent maintenance and limited durability.  I have yet to hear anyone mention belt drives--they are both stronger and quieter than chains and require much less maintenance.  After having belts on my last two bikes (Harley-Davidsons, with 40,000+ total miles), I would not want anything else.

I was also surprised to learn that belt drives are not offered as an upgrade by CMW, or even mentioned in this community forum.  A belt drive would be an immeasurable improvement to anyone's RE, and I am already scheming on how to have one adapted to fit my 2009 UCE.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 10:49:29 PM by RAKe »
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

Waiting to order 2012 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 02:43:37 AM »
Drive shaft assemblies are very heavy, and of questionable value on a lightweight RE.  O-ring type chains are a quick improvement over the factory setup, but they do not address the primary limitation of chains--frequent maintenance and limited durability.  I have yet to hear anyone mention belt drives--they are both stronger and quieter than chains and require much less maintenance.  After having belts on my last two bikes (Harley-Davidsons), I would not want anything else.

I was also surprised to learn that belt drives are not offered as an upgrade by CMW, or even mentioned in this community forum.  A belt drive would be an immeasurable improvement to anyone's RE, and I am already scheming on how to have one adapted to fit my 2009 UCE.

I would love a belt drive.  The only belt I have seen is the one on the primary the guy who drove to India put on.  Sweet, but needed machining.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

RAKe

• Bulleteer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 10:58:18 PM »
Experience has also taught me that an oil-bathed chain-driven primary cannot be beat.  Belt drives are best for the final drive apparatus!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:04:30 PM by RAKe »
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 12:57:14 AM »
The parasitic horsepower loss of a shaft drive would really be evident on a low HP engine to begin with.

The most efficient transfer of rotation kinetic energy is a chain or belt drive.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

RAKe

• Bulleteer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 10:40:57 AM »
Foggy, appreciate the intellectual problem-solving.  Let's team up to apply turbine technology to surface transportation in the form of a jet-powered bike!! (an extension of my military understanding).  Such a vehicle would add a whole new dimension to "running a stop sign".  (Actually, Jay Leno already has one--the benefits of mega-bucks!).

geoffbaker

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 01:58:48 AM »
I guess after the diesel conversion a nice belt drive would be the next logical step. I'm not enough of a engineer to do ti first though... so go on, you guys!!! I'll build the second or third one...

dsdreno

• Neophyte
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 02:43:47 AM »
drive shaft are too heavy, belt drive are prong to slippage from water and oil contact.    try an enclosed chain, like they{Royal Enfield } had on the some of the twins .

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 07:35:21 PM »
I think the conversion you seek does in fact already exist.

It's called buying a BMW!  :D
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 09:43:32 PM »
I did see this once in India. It was pretty amazing. I had pictures of it in an old newsletter, but I would nver be able to find it. Kind of novel, but not very practical.

skippy

• Scooter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 07:02:19 AM »
Apart from my Electra I own a couple of Guzzi's one being a 1982 V35 Imola, about the same size as the Bullet, it's 348cc 4 stroke putting out about 24hp. The Drive shaft on this bike is quite a small unit and seems to work very well, the bike goes well and the shaft drive has very little effect on power as she tops out just under a ton.
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Electra,
1992 Moto Guzzi California 3,
1982 Moto Guzzi Imola,
2004 Jaguar x type,

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »
If I had a good shop and liked to mess around, trying to fit a Ural or Guzzi trans and shaft would be kind of fun.  The thing with drive shafts is you lose a certain quickness on take-off.  Some Beemer guys try to cure this by lightening the flywheel, but outside of racing- I didn't like them on a day-to-day kind of thing.

OTOH- even Cushman scooters are being converted to belt-drive.  How hard can it be?  here's someone's chance to make a kit and become a ... hundredaire!  ( ? )
Run what ya brung