HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Mini Tour

in
Members Rides

43 Guests, 2 Users
wildbill, da punds
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 10:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Canadian newbie, with newbie?  (Read 1588 times)

Nero

• Neophyte
Canadian newbie, with newbie?
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:33:47 PM »
Hello, just registered. I am up in canada and it doesnt look like we have any RE dealers or have i just not found them yet? I am more an old car guy, but looking for a small bike to use at the cabin for cruising old logging roads and just slow speed exploration of roads and trails. Not hardcore off roading just tooling around. I really like the 500 military, do they have a 350 military version? Not concerned with Jap bike reliability and realize that RE have needs [maintenance] and i am cool with that. Am i crazy for considering an RE for my application? How do i find one in canada? can i import cheaper from the u.s.? can i import from India { doubtful} whats a canuck to do, help me Obi Wan your my only hope.

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
Re: Canadian newbie, with newbie?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »
The suspension doesn't feel good hitting a pot hole hard. The bikes feel a little heavy off road but light  on open road .Gravel roads should be fine. I don't know about Canadian import rules, but I hear you must be very savy dealing direct with India.That being said the RE's are fun bikes to ride.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

Nero

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:42:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I did a bit more reading and it does not look like you can import one to Canada at this time. Also you dont get a 350 version in the States and i dont think they have a 350 military yet, i could be wrong. So i guess i just answered my own question :( I have been checking out the urals,dniepers but dont think a side car is what i want and its heavy, although the camo version with nobbies looks cool. A 350 military with nobbies would fit the bill just perfect i think, yes many bikes could work better but i am attracted to a new bike with a vintage feel and dont want a resto project. When the going gets rough i will just go slower, the roads i am thinking of are cabin acess roads. old logging roads sometimes turning into single tracks from new growth, sand , gravel pavement only if i have to although a few streches of curvy old trans canada highway can be found in areas, were abandoned when they straightened the highway, and make interesting cruising. Actually sounds like rural India in a way doesnt it.

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 12:06:07 AM »
Nero, I haven't ever rode a 350 RE, but I remember looking at weight spec.There is almost no difference between 350 and 500 weight wise. These bike are low H.P.(25) and hi torque.I've seen RE bikes for sale on ebay in Canada, don't know if they were real . Happy hunting in the great white north.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

Nero

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 03:10:39 AM »
If there is no substantial weight savings may as well get the 500 then ;D.