HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

1966 Interceptor and 1958 Tomahawk, "under the knife"

in
Members Rides

45 Guests, 3 Users (1 Hidden)
lemming, Arizoni
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 12:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery chargers  (Read 433 times)

palace15

• Bulleteer
Battery chargers
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:37:59 AM »
Hi
I have read that if you use a 'gel' battery then you can not recharge with the battery charger that we use on 'lead acid' batteries. My question is, If you buy a charger for the 'gel' battery, can you use this charger for the 'lead acid' batteries?
Safe riding guys
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Re: Battery chargers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »
Really?  Huh - maybe.  Hopefully someone will clarify.  I have a pretty new Battery Tender (jr.) and I'm about to buy an AMG battery.  I'd be bummed if I had to buy a new charger with it!  :(

All I know is that when we switch to gel batteries on our bikes, we don't switch our charging systems...

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:46:18 PM »
Yes they do make chargers specifically for Gel batteries..They charge at a slightly different rate and voltage and are usually more exspensive...I was going to buy one at the time I had a Gel in the Enfield but since I already had two Juniors on hand I didn't see the point..Come to think of it, that made in China BikeMaster Gel didn't even last the year while the previous Yuasa lasted me 4 years..Coincident, I don't think so but if you have the bucks, why not get the charger to match the battery type.....GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:12:12 PM »
I used the Battery Tender Jr on my AGM a couple of times and it didn't seem to hurt it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
I've got 5 bikes with gels in them and use anything from the big chargers at work to a 40yr old sears one at home never had a problem. Just make sure your not putting more than 14v in them for any length of time.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:58:13 PM »
This link says the gel cell batteries do need to have a charger that is made to be used with gel cells.

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/gel-vs-agm.html

It also points out that there is a difference between the "gel cell" and the absorbed glass mat batteries, the AGM batteries being capable of higher power output and more normal battery charging cycles.

Because both the "gel cell" and AGM batteries are sealed, they are often confused with one another.

IMO, because no one is changing the charging system on my RE so it is compatable with a gel cells charging requirements I will make it a point to avoid trying to use one on my bike.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 12:04:20 AM »
Quite a few of the bigger boats we work on have Gel Cells in them and work well with the standard charging systems in them. If your careful how much voltage you put in them and the temperature doesn't get to hot they seem to be ok.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

suitcasejefferson

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 06:43:34 AM »
I have 4 bikes with sealed AGM MF batteries, and have been using Deltran Battery Tender Jrs. on them for over 5 years. I keep them plugged in at all times when the bikes are not being ridden. The batteries last forever. These are "maintainers" and probably would not charge a dead battery. They are designed to keep the batteries at full charge, so they last longer. And they work. I used to be constantly be buying batteries because of letting them sit to long and go dead. After they go dead a couple of times, they are pretty much ruined, and won't hold a charge. I'm going to install the battery connector I took off a bike I just sold so I can hook up a tender on the RE "old fashioned" battery.
I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.
2013 Royal Enfield B5
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2001 Yamaha XT225
2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
2009 Genuine Stella 2 stroke
1980 Puch Maxi ZA50 2 speed
1971 VeloSolex S3800

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »
+1 SCJ, tenders or maintainers will only maintain what you have. I think some people assume they will pull a battery charged at say, 30% up to a 100% overnight. Not a chance of that happening. I use $500 Midtronics brand maintainers every day on cars, they hold voltage at +/- 13.1 v pretty much regardless of load induced by downloading software and such. These units are becoming standard equipment in auto repair shops.
Roverman.