HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My little rider!

in
Members Rides

46 Guests, 3 Users (1 Hidden)
jimbocan, brooksflether
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 09:08:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Right Shift shifter fork?  (Read 128 times)

rtillery02

• Neophyte
  • 2002 Indian Bullet
Right Shift shifter fork?
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:05:55 AM »
I just realized today that there is a left shift & a right shift shifting fork...uh oh. (#26 on pete snidal diagram) When I converted my bull to a R/S, none of the contact parts to the original shift fork were changed so I saw (@ that time) no reason to empty the trans case to install a fresh one. Well, now these are two different part #s, It shifts a lot better now even with the original fork but, do I need to make another trip in there to swap it out for the "right shift" shifter fork to prevent a future problem? or am I over reacting to this find? I'd like to be able to visually compare the two parts but, I've only got the new right shift to look at. Who's got some thoughts on this, & am I really gonna hafta drop the whole clutch assembly for this trip?  any wise thoughts on this...anyone?   Thanks in advance, R.Tillery

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Right Shift shifter fork?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »
I'd be interested to know what the difference is between the 2. That said I've done a number of those right shift conversions and have never replaced the shift fork and they all shifted just fine afterwards.
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2012 Concours 14 (no name yet)
2013 Royal Star Venture S  "Jelly Roll"

rtillery02

• Neophyte
  • 2002 Indian Bullet
Re: shifter fork part #s
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:10:24 PM »
Well t120r, each left & right shift fork has their own separate & different part #, which concerns me a little since I wasn't really prompted to swap that particular wear part out during the conversion, in written direction or logic.
  So, I've dropped a bug in Hitchcocks ear as to my concern so, We'll see what their prognosis is when they git back to me.
  It being a "wear part" anyway, I expect some wear on it naturally, but not in 1,780 miles, Plus, it shifted as well as expected being a left shift before the conversion.
  If I hafta make the trip, I'll be sure to take a good picture of the both of'em side by side for future references, how bout that?  R.Tillery