HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Whizzer

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 09:29:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New sound that doesn't sound good  (Read 790 times)

Philatawgrapher

• Neophyte
New sound that doesn't sound good
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:21:04 AM »
I know that diagnosing motorcycle sounds on a forum is like going into a music store and saying, "You know that song? You know the one. What's it called?" Very unlikely that anyone can help without actually hearing it. But just in case this is a common problem that everyone (but me) already knows about, here goes:

I have a 2014 C5 that has about 740 miles on it. Two days ago it started making a new sound. The best way I can think to describe it is that it sounds like there's a loose nut inside the gas tank that is vibrating against the tank wall. It's similar to the sound vibrating keys might make against a handlebar, but much deeper.

The sound is loud enough to hear through earplugs, and occurs in any gear so long as the RPMs are relatively high. (There's no tach on the Enfield, but I'd guess that if idle is around 1000 rpm, then the sound starts happening at around 2600 rpm (close to when the mirrors start to get pretty shaky.) It sounds like it's coming from the gas tank, or directly under the tank.

I've looked for anything loose, hugged the gas tank, played with the filler cover, and tried to pinpoint the location with the assistance of several sets of friendly ears. I can't find anything obvious, nor can I tell precisely where it's coming from (which makes me think that it must be inside the engine). What it sounds the most like is loose valves. But I was under the impression that the C5 doesn't have adjustable valves.

Performance has not noticeably changed.

I know it's not much to go on, but I'm hoping someone else has already faced this and will immediately recognize the issue.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:23:41 AM by Philatawgrapher »

Decker

• Scooter
Re: New sound that doesn't sound good
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 01:22:40 AM »
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

Philatawgrapher

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 01:48:23 AM »
Tough to tell. I think the noise in that video sounds much more like an exhaust sound than the one I have. The one I have is sharper, and sounds a lot more like metal-to-metal.

It's only iPhone audio, but I just recorded this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMo6_0zyIeY

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 03:49:42 AM »
@Philatawgrapher.  All i hear are valves on your video.  To my ear, I dont hear anything wrong. 

@Decker.  Something is loose.  Mine sounded like that after i pulled the tank.  The front bolts were not tight enough.  I'd check all the easy stuff first: Exhaust, head steady, fender stays, etc...

Just my humble opinion.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
If the sound only recently appeared it's possible a bit of slap due to the hydraulic lifters not filling properly.
I'm not yet enough of a recip mechanic to say for certain, so does anyone else wanna chime in?
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
If it was one of the Iron bikes I'd say that sounds near normal to me.

Don't these UCEs have an 'auto decomp' on the exhaust valve?  If so I'd trouble shoot for that.  Does it only do it when first running but goes away after a while?  I've heard the decomp in the UCEs tends to do that. 

Good luck...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 04:35:18 PM »
The decomp in my UCE gives some rattle generally only during the first warmup of the day. After that I don't even hear it.

Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »
The few times my auto decompression failed to retract the engine oil was very cold.  I blamed the thick oil for the thing hanging up.
Anyway, while it was making noise it sounded like, "CLACK...CLACK...CLACK..." and the sound was at 1/2 of the engine speed.  The sound was very noticeable.  Not at all like the sounds in the above videos.

Slightly reving up the engine while the decomp was clacking made it retract so it stopped making noise. :)

In Philatawgrapher's video I do hear something in the background that sounds like someone tapping a swizzle stick inside a metal cup.  Is that the sound were trying to figure out?  I have no idea what it could be.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 12:03:03 AM »
Philatawgrapher on your video, I hear the valve train tapping sound which is quite common in many RE motorcycles. And the general consensus is it is OK. My bike also has it.

The sound I am talking about is also present at idle, though slowly and softly. In your video even in the first one second it is audible. Unless you have another video where there is no 'bad' sound at all at idle.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:07:23 AM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Decker

• Scooter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 04:07:25 AM »
Sorry if I confused anyone. Posted the video( found on you tube) as a way of possibly identifying the sound and not as an indication I was having any problems. :-[ My G5 is running better every day ( also makes a few new sounds everyday). Almost 3000 k's and counting.  :) Just love my new RE.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:18:23 AM »
Someone once told me that if your old car or bike makes weird sounds, unless it does it three days in a row don't worry about it :)

Philatawgrapher

• Neophyte
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »
sounds like someone tapping a swizzle stick inside a metal cup.  Is that the sound were trying to figure out?

Yes. That's the sound.

The sound is only at RPMs above idle, and is constant whether the bike is cold or hot, no matter how long it's ridden. It's there from start up to shut down. It doesn't seem to vary with speed or gear.

I took it to the dealer today who couldn't determine its origin, but said it sounded normal to him. So, I'll keep riding it until something goes horribly wrong. :)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 09:54:40 PM »
It's the sudden new sounds that make me nervous.  If that's "normal", then what was wrong with it before when it wasn't making the noise?  Maybe nothing... ?

Philatawgrapher

• Neophyte
Re: New sound that doesn't sound good--IDENTIFIED
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 11:43:39 PM »
Problem identified!

The bike was on the side stand, and the fuel in the tank was down to less than half after today's long ride. When I uprighted the bike, I heard metal sliding in the tank. Looking around inside it with a flashlight and a magnet on a pole, I found a ring of metal moving loosely inside the tank.

This ring is too large to come out the filler, so I'm assuming it was supposed to be attached beneath the filler hole.

I'm guessing the whole tank will need replacing?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 11:49:01 PM »
That could be the source of the noise but probably not.  Fluids tend to dampen out any vibration that a small part would make.

Whatever is causing the noise, it sounds like something a piece of thin sheet metal would make if it was lightly vibrating against something.  With that high of a pitch it isn't likely to be something large like a mud guard although the brackets on the fuel tank are small enough to buzz that fast.  Maybe something in the horn?

I don't think it's anything coming from inside the engine.  Usually engine buzzes are directly related to the engine speed and change as the engine speed changes.

As for the metal ring, if the filler neck on the tank is secure it might be something that was a part of the fuel pump.  Maybe something that holds the fuel filter in place?
Call up your dealer and tell him or his mechanic what you've found.
They should know if it is something that needs to be repaired.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary