HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

2011 B5

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 04:52:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shortest battery life...ever  (Read 149 times)

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Neophyte
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Shortest battery life...ever
« on: July 19, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »
I can't believe my C5 battery has failed already, 11 days, yup...  11. At least it held enough volts to run, just not enough amps to crank.
  Well, If it gets no worse than this...we've got it made.
2012 C5 / 2002 Iron Barrel / 2009 C50 Boulevard

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
Re: Shortest battery life...ever
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »
Sorry to hear it.
  I'm going on 6 years with my original battery.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:14:31 PM »
I would suggest it may not have been prepared, charged properly out of the box.  Trickle charge for several hours, rest it, check voltage. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 01:28:34 PM »
Battery prep is critical and is the cause of most old school battery failures.
They need to be filled with acid, left  to sit while the plates absorb the acid, level checked and topped off if needed and then charged. This is where the trouble starts. The charge should be no more than 1.5 amps. It is a 14 amp hour battery so you can do the math and see it takes SEVERAL hours to charge the battery. If you charge the battery too quickly you have ruined the battery. When I see batteries that fail quickly that is 95% the case, when someone will admit that they actually charged it for 1 hour at 6-10 amps like a larger battery. Also before you jump to conclusions make sure your charging system is operating properly.

Rich Mintz

• Grease Monkey
  • Daily rider in the city
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 12:16:32 AM »
For whatever it's worth, in my first thousand miles or so, I discovered a loose electrical connection (easily fixed once I found it). Unrelatedly, a few months later, I discovered that most of the 6 or so wires leading to my regulator-rectifier had been bent and snapped at the connector, resulting in no charge getting back to the battery. (This was a pain in the ass to find and tedious to fix, although not expensive or complicated; I just had to patch 6 pairs of wires together.)

You may well have a connection or charging fault. Many of these bikes come standard with those, but once you fix them they stay fixed.