HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

right side of the bike

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 11:28:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KICK START slip  (Read 309 times)

dick_fondle

• Neophyte
KICK START slip
« on: May 24, 2014, 06:27:34 PM »
Can anyone shed some light on my problem? My kick bar slips a lot, I can sometimes get the bar at the point of compression but then the bar will slip straight without any change happening to the piston position. It feels like something is slipping in the gearbox.

cafeman

• Grease Monkey
Re: KICK START slip
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 08:03:59 PM »
Sounds like the kick pawl is in need of replacement. You related to Phil McCracken by any chance?? :P

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:18:57 PM »
Like mentioned on the this topic in the Campfire thread, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly.  If the clutch is too tight it will slip and not engage the motor properly when trying to kick it over.

Scottie J
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building The 1st Ever Ace Performance Twin

Join My Facebook Group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/961468183867002

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 07:30:36 PM »
What "high on octane and cafeman" said. If it is fine sometimes and then not it may be the pawl, but the clutch is super easy to check.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »
Might want to check if the kicker arm itself is tight.  It could have enough friction to roll things around a bit but not enough when pressure is applied to start the bike.  In line with checking the simply things first....
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

dick_fondle

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 10:19:17 AM »
Like mentioned on the this topic in the Campfire thread, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly.  If the clutch is too tight it will slip and not engage the motor properly when trying to kick it over.

Scottie J

Hi, yeah same problem as listed in the campfire thread. Thanks for your help, I'll have a look at the clutch cable then, see if needs loosening and I'll also try tightening the swing arm.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates of Eden
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 09:55:08 PM »
Might want to check if the kicker arm itself is tight.  It could have enough friction to roll things around a bit but not enough when pressure is applied to start the bike.  In line with checking the simply things first....

If that was true the splines would have to wiped out for the kicker to slip completely & the shaft not turn. It would take a lot of determined weight to wipe those splines out.

It seems to me the clutch is slipping 'cause it's disengaged a tiny bit.

I lighten the spring tension on the pressure plate of my kick only, dry clutch harley so it's at the point of easy on my hand, it will still turn the engine over & not slip on acceleration in 1, 2 or 3. Or in 4th. That clutch spring tension sweet spot is only one or two 1/2 turns of my nuts one way or the other.     

I can't comment on my AVL's clutch (easy or difficult to adjust). I have not had to adjust it yet. It's still smooth as silk & no slipperage after 950 some odd miles. 1st from neutral is a nice click, no clun!k. I use the kicker exclusively. And compared to the Primo clutch on the harley the RE clutch lever weighs nothing.   
2008 ACE Head AVL Classic
1977 Shovelhead Hardtail Bobber