HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Improved Ram Air Duct

in
Members Rides

58 Guests, 1 User
High On Octane
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2014, 01:35:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Much Will an RE Carry? And Will It cClimb a Mountain?  (Read 6499 times)

NC Newbie

• Neophyte
How Much Will an RE Carry? And Will It cClimb a Mountain?
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:46:40 AM »
I am certain that these questions have been covered before, but please be patient since this is my first time on this forum.

My wife and I are considering the purchase of an RE, probably a 500 Deluxe.  We are not “light-weight” people; will it haul over 400 combined lbs. of “us” around?  What sustained highway speed can we anticipate with two aboard?  How comfortable is this bike for two?

To head west from our home in Western North Carolina, we would have to climb a mountain on I-40 – no other choice besides one gravel road.  How would such a bike perform climbing a 6-7% grade for about five miles with both on board?  I know it wouldn’t maintain the 55 mph speed limit, but how much of an “obstacle” are we realistically apt to present to other traffic?

And is there anything else which you veterans can impart to a total tyro before he “takes the RE plunge”? 

In other words, what questions have I not the good sense to ask?

Jeff Dreibus

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Re: How Much Will an RE Carry? And Will It cClimb a Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:40:11 PM »
Jeff,
I assume you are considering buying from the dealer in Marion (seems like a good guy). I run about 220 and personally wouldn't take on Old Fart Mtn on 40 with a broken in Enfield, let alone a new one. Consider taking 70 to Bat cave Rd in Old Fart to Old Fart Rd to 9 in Black Mtn. Let the wife drive the cage.
There's another dealer in SC, called RD who seems like a good guy too and comes in a tad cheaper. I live in West Henderson County, and am equidistant between the two dealers (an hour and a half via cage).
I wouldn't ride a new bike from either distance. I have a trailer (6x10 for the Ural) that you can borrow if you have a tow vehicle. But honestly I wouldn't count on the Enfield carrying that much weight. Feel free to pm me.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:55:25 AM »
The owners manual states 365kg (803lbs) max load. If you subtract the bikes 187kg (411lbs) that leaves 392lbs for the riders. They also had the usual caveat "These values are for reference only" or something like that. They probably are good numbers though, it's got to get pretty edgy when you outweigh your bike.

NC Newbie

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:28:03 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your most helpful input.

The solutions would then seem be:

1)  to purchase two REs, one for each spouse;

2)  to purchase one higher-capacity bike; or

3)  to lose all of the weight we should not have gained in the first place.

We shall take all these options under careful consideration.

Jeff Dreibus

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »
how about all of the above?  ;)
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »
4. Get a Ural
If you are looking at an old school bike, easy to work on, high load capacity, that will fit the bill. Like the RE, you can often find low mileage Urals as they are a niche bike.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

geoffbaker

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:34:17 PM »
Good point about new RE versus broken in... you definitely should break it in well before planning any long trips.

On the other hand - weight considerations and mountain considerations...

They ride these things around Nepal by the thousands... you can find all kinds of videos on  Utube. I wouldn't worry about mountains. Weight would be more an issue though... I would suggest two bikes would be a better solution. Two broken in bikes.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:09:04 PM »
As far as mountain climbing goes, the Enfield will go where only aircraft equipped with oxygen and turbochargers of jet engines will go. I refer you to this site:
http://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/odyssey/itinerary.asp

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:36:26 PM »
While there is no question the Enfield will operate in mountainous conditions, I think his original concern was could he come up I-40 (70mph rd) and climb a 7% grade with 400 lbs of passengers on a new bike (not broken in). I know the hill he speaks of and believe me, he doesn't want to try that. That's why I proposed an alternate route and offered my trailer.
I live in the mountains and have accessed the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Enfield responds admirably.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »
I seized my own bike when it was new doing this very type of thing. DON"T DO IT

Talcecom

• Neophyte
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:42:53 AM »
I have a home just outside Old Fort and I take the Dirt Road or Hwy 9 to Black Mountain.  The 500cc works great with my 205 lbs and my grandson's 85. Stay off the inter-states at all cost.
Ride safe, Bob.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 09:25:47 AM »
Not a good puller, in fact I was very disapointed and had to make modifications to power output, exhaust mods mostly. Climbing hills is not good even changing down does'nt seem to help until you are down to 2nd at 10MPH.

If your still breaking in there will be nothing you can do but sit there at 10mph. 
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

soulcatcher3

• Neophyte
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 01:37:29 AM »
Only just found this thread...so late to reply....but...in the 90's i had a 350 in India...we rode 2 up (lightweights i may add - maybe 300lbs for both of us), + the luggage, which was EXCESSIVE. I think the luggage could easily of weighed 120lbs all up.
 Anyways, there were no Interstate highways in the Himalayas, and the most we had to worry about overtaking us was the odd crazy jeep - we passed the buses and trucks, but on those roads they were barely moving! Needless to say, we made it - over the highest road passes in the world...so...the bikes can do it, but so can anything in a low gear...( I saw Vespa 150's and honda 125's at 5600mtr altitude )
 .I've got a couple Bullet 500's now back in Canada....Big hills I'm not worried about, but I'll be sticking to the country roads as much as possible, and enjoying the scenery.....and the ride.......
 Phil

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 11:28:34 PM »
I think you would be fine if you stayed on the blue ridge park way.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 02:09:01 AM »
I have a home just outside Old Fort and I take the Dirt Road or Hwy 9 to Black Mountain.  The 500cc works great with my 205 lbs and my grandson's 85. Stay off the inter-states at all cost.
Ride safe, Bob.

I live in Marion and I know that "dirt road" very well.  It would certainly be an adventure on the Enfield, and I think I may just like to try it.   I'd opt for Hwy 9 on most days probably, just because it's paved and got fun curves and pretty scenery.  I agree with you about the interstate... Even though the speed limit is 55 up the mountain, that 4 mile grade in all that crazy traffic would just be too stressful on both the bike and the rider.   

I think Royal Enfields actually like mountain roads, though.  I went on a ride up Hwy 226A to the Blue Ridge Parkway and rode with 3 other Royal Enfields up there for several hours this past Saturday and it was a great time.   
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.