HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My Bullet 350 in the Kangra dist. of Himachal Pradesh, India.

in
Members Rides

77 Guests, 6 Users (1 Hidden)
shibbo, bluesdaddy2, rvcycleguy, Magoo, cc44m@yahoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 11:30:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 7" headlamp conversion - Did I get the wrong thing?  (Read 2509 times)

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
7" headlamp conversion - Did I get the wrong thing?
« on: July 24, 2008, 04:09:48 AM »
So today I'm all excited that my order from CMW was to arrive just in time for my weekend trip... I pull out the 7" headlamp, and....  WTF is this bulb contraption? It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before... some kind of cup with a not-so-sturdy looking connector dongle thing on it.

I was expecting when I ordered a non-Lucas, non-sealed beam lamp I'd get one that takes a regular motorcycle lamp (the kind on a metal base with tabs and male push-on wire connectors). Now that I see it in person, I understand the postage-stamp sized picture of bits from the online catalog... which was the identical pic to the Lucas one, so I figured it was just a mistake... and when you go looking for the part # of the replacement bulb there's no picture at all. so no help there.  ???

I'm not pissed or anything, just bummed that I got to go through the whole return process and waiting game again.  I guess what I want is the more expensive kit that comes with a bulb and pre-assembled and all? the "halogen" kit?

Can I get one that's NOT pre-assembled? I would need to take it all apart anyway to paint over the chrome...

Thanks!
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus

bobblehead76

• rider in north carolina
  • Neophyte
  • 08 Military
Re: 7" headlamp conversion - Did I get the wrong thing?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:38:25 AM »
your not going to get a preambled unit. i got the tri bar light with the 7inch kit and i had to look at it for 10 minutes to figure out how to put it together. the directions were no help at all. if your going to ride at night you will need a diffrent light.
Bobblehead76

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 04:43:34 AM »
your not going to get a preambled unit. i got the tri bar light with the 7inch kit and i had to look at it for 10 minutes to figure out how to put it together. the directions were no help at all. if your going to ride at night you will need a diffrent light.

I definitely do NOT want the tri-bar light! Had one on my '01 and hated the beam pattern. I want a regular fluted 7" housing, that I can fit a 55/60 bulb into.

Assembling is no problem. It's just like old VW headlights which I can do with my eyes closed. Which, actually is recommended since if you slip up those clips fly out at roughly the speed of light!  ;D
Member Emeritus

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 01:42:50 PM »
I bought the non-lucas halgen conversion. I bought the assembled unit, so it was a simple bolt on.

The Enfield doesn't use a single puchon auto type connector, for some reason they keep the three connectors separate.

Describe the parts you have and I or someone else here should be able to walk you through the assembly.

Trust me, it's worth the effort. The 7" halogen puts out about 2x the light of the standard unit, it's like a pen light compared to a Mag Light.
Endeavor To Persevere

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:32:32 PM »
The halogen conversion is the only pre-assembled light.

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 06:55:41 PM »
The halogen conversion is the only pre-assembled light.

Well then I guess it was my lucky day, 'cause I got a non-Lucas, non-halogen, pre-assembled headlight!  ;D

Did some diggin, looks like it takes a 40/55w (or something) bulb that's very "bulb"-like.  Like the one that's in my Vespa with a Euro headlamp.

Looks like I'll be placing a new order eh!  ;)
Member Emeritus

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 09:21:28 PM »
I stand corrected

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 03:03:29 PM »
Im not sure this new forum on instructions for parts is going to work out too well.

It sounded like good idea but now im not so sure   :-\
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member