HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Stumpy in Michigan at 10K Miles

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 07:52:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exhaust Tip Questions  (Read 123 times)

play4theworld

• Neophyte
Exhaust Tip Questions
« on: July 31, 2014, 03:25:26 AM »
Hello!

I recently got a 2013 C5, and I want to upgrade the exhaust a little bit.

I'm planning on going with a free-flowing exhaust tip (judgeing by the Harleys I hear around town the police don't really bother with the loud pipes) but I'm worried about the ECU since I've never owned anything with an ECU.

Are the control units on these bikes adaptive? Or do I have to swap or re-tune my ECU if I change exhaust tips?

I'm looking mostly at the Megaphone and Cocktail Shaker exhaust tips that are sold on NFieldGear. I'm also considering the D&D slip on. I'm open to suggestions, especially if they are less expsensive.

What I'm trying to get is a louder sound and a little more power. I do a lot of driving around town and a little more pick-up would be nice. Hopefully this won't mess up my beautiful 74 MPG!

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. What do you guys think about the gatling gun exhaust tips people use? Thought about doing that but they run about $450 in the US.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Re: Exhaust Tip Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
The UCE 500 ECUs are quite forgiving for aftermarket silencers. I wouldn't recommend running a free-flowing silencer, although it will run more or less. I had one and it sounded quite bad on the UCE. You may need to check your spark plug for how the engine is running with a fully straight-through muffler. You can adjust the TPS voltage to make the mixture richer by a bit. However, you won't need to do that in 95% of cases.

The Megaphone or Cocktail Shaker exhausts will work perfectly with your bike. Many members have similar silencers. Some also had/have full D&D systems installed.

It shouldn't affect your 74MPG by much. But you sure will be tempted to give it some more 'oomph' due to the awesome sound you will get once you swap to an aftermarket muffler. Will also recommend using ear-plugs.

Good luck.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

play4theworld

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:30:39 PM »
Have you heard of much of a performance boost with the megaphone silencer?

And do you need to go to a dealer with a computer to adjust the voltage or can I do that?

Also, will it void the warranty if I make any changes?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »
You performance may improve by a few bike lengths in a quarter mile. That's about it. There isn't going to be any remarkable change.
There are no other available maps available for the Bullets, however the stock mapping generally does a pretty good job of adapting to different exhaust systems. Nobody has had any problems with a warranty item because of changing the exhaust. CMW is pretty lenient on these changes.
As for the gatling gun tip, the Dominator silencers fit the description and work well and are under $100. They sound good and are a bit loud, but since that's what you ant they should fit the bill. They are repackable if you want them to be a bit quieter. They will quicken the bike up a bit.
Bare
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:44:10 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com