HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

CJ & Silver

in
Members Rides

47 Guests, 3 Users
kodai, phoenixt, Jonno
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 06:04:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: warranty  (Read 189 times)

kwikee

• Neophyte
warranty
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
is anyone familiar if the battery is covered in RE's manufacturers warranty? i've had my bike for almost 2yrs with only 600 miles(this septermber) and noticed the battery died once. this weekend it had enough power where lights and horn were working but electric starter just cranked (luckily kick start is working). i took it to the dealer and they said the battery is covered for only 6 months as they tend to go (which i think is bs). i've asked them to test the battery to make sure it's not faulty as well as the electric system. looking for some feedback if someone has had this experience as some items mentioned by the dealer are complete b.s.
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300 (pondering on purchase)
2012 Royal Enfield Bullet B5
2005 Ninja 500

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: warranty
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »
In the Owners Manual for my 2011 G5 Deluxe, on page 94 it says,

"Warranty is not applicable for the following parts:
Electrical items like bulbs, wiring harness, switches, battery, fuses, electric start motor etc."

I put the electric start motor in italics because I am surprised this major component is not covered.
I haven't heard of a problem with one but that could be a big ticket item if it went bad. :o
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

kwikee

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
thank you Arizoni. the manual i'm reading states below regarding warranty.

6. Claims on proprietary items like tyres, tubes, spark plug, battery etc. should be taken up with respective
manufacturer or their authorised agents in the area directly by customer. RE shall not be liable in any manner
to replace them though their Dealers will provide assistance in preferring such claims on their manufacturer.
7. Warranty shall not apply to:
(a) Normal ageing, detoriation or rusting of plated parts paints coat, rubber parts, soft items, glass items,
plastic parts etc.78

(b) Components like fuel filter, oil filter paper element, control cables, brake shoes / brake pads, clutch
plates, drive chain & sprocket kit, which are subjected to normal wear and tear.
(c) Damages due to use of lubricant / oil / grease etc. other than specified by RE.
(d) Damages due to use of non-genuine parts.
(e) Damages due to lack of proper maintenance of the vehicle.
(f) Damages due to incorrect driving or riding habits.
(g) Parts damaged due to accidents, collision, abuse etc.
(h) Irregularities not recognized as affecting the quality or function of the vehicle such as slight vibration,
oil leakage, discoloration of exhaust bent pipe / silencer / soft, hard shock absorber etc.
(i) Defects arising from fitment of unauthorised / additional Electrical loads.
(j) Vehicle serviced / repaired at unauthorised service points.
(k) Vehicle used for competition / racing.
(l) Electrical component like bulbs, fuses etc.
(m) Normal maintenance operations like adjustment of brakes, cleaning fuel system, engine tune up and
other such adjustments
2005 Ninja 500

JoeSchmofo

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »
That's interesting Kwikee, I've been putting off putting bar end mirrors on my bike as I thought any changes would mean they'd say the warranty does not apply but according to your manual, it would be any damage caused by the non standard mirrors that would not be covered.

Hope you get your bike sorted. (although.... ride it more)  ;)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
Battery is not covered under the warranty as it is a proprietary item not manufactured by RE.

In 2 years you have put 600miles on it? So the bike has been sitting most of the time.

It is a lead acid battery and without proper charging and upkeep of its functionality, they tend to die prematurely. To save batteries like these, you can use a battery tender/recharger to keep the battery fully charged if you're not using the bike for long periods of time. Even small rides are not enough to charge the battery properly.

I would recommend you to purchase an AGM type battery. They are longer lasting than lead-acid ones, but of course, they also need to be kept charged properly. They can go without charge for a month or so on a bike. After that, they will also tend to die if not put on a battery tender/recharger (Assuming the bike is not being used, or only small distance rides are being achieved).
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

kwikee

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:01:37 PM »
thank you for the feedback joeschmofo and JVS. have been busy with family  and home items on weekends  but when i do ride, i tend to put 60-80 a trip. i am also building up the comfort level so i can start riding to work in downtown manhattan and doing rides out of state. i called the dealership and they are replacing parts. now i'm starting to think this is getting shady!
2005 Ninja 500

kwikee

• Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:45:30 PM »
Arizoni, i stopped by the dealers again today to check up on status and they did state that the electric starter motor is covered under warranty.
2005 Ninja 500

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 04:47:24 AM »
Thanks for the information. :)

Having seen Kevin Mahoney in action (from the distance of reading about it on this forum), I figured he would step up and authorize covering it.
That is why I was surprised to see the starter motor excluded in the Owners Manual. :)

(Kevin's dedication to the Royal Enfields he imports was a large part of the reason I bought one.) :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

pmanaz1973

• Scooter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:44:16 AM »
Kevin's dedication to the Royal Enfields he imports was a large part of the reason I bought one.

+1 

It's impressive and shows a strong desire to build the RE brand.  Where else can you talk to the "big boss" of any primary importer.  I've tried with other equipment and was laughed at by a regional manager. 
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5