HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Nigel the wonder dog supervising my backing up skills

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 08:18:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New RE member with old bike project  (Read 2368 times)

comp3d

• Neophyte
New RE member with old bike project
« on: July 27, 2008, 03:17:37 AM »
Hi folks, I recently bought a Bullet 500 from a friend of mine that is over in Iraq.  He disassembled it for me and shipped it over in multiple mail crates.  I have a shop full of parts and am waiting for the last shipment to get here.  The frame and wheels.  I was told that it is a 1965 bike, but not sure.  I will get the numbers off of the engine and tranny and go from there. 

Pics of the bike and the project will be on the following site:

www.panelskinz.com/bike.htm

If you have any advice or comments, please feel free to give me a shout. 
Also, I started out on an Indian when I was 4 years old, grew up riding bikes.  Just sold and 01 Buell Blast 500 that I rode for 3 years.  I like the single cylinder "thump" and the clunky shift.  Hey that set me up perfect for the Royal Enfield....

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love this bike!!
Re: New RE member with old bike project
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:09:37 PM »
  Welcome to the forum.  I look forward to following your progress, do you think you will have any problem getting the bike registered?
  I've done the motorcycle by mail thing also, A friend mailed his dirt bikes from Japan  to my address in Hawaii where I stored them until he arrived.  The mail man wasn't too happy..  At least I didn't have to put them together.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

comp3d

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »
Thanks for the friendly reception.  I really don't think I will have a problem with the tax office.  The first reason is I have known the commissioner for years.  If I walk in with a bill of sale and money in my hand I should walk out with a "antique" tag with no problem.  We'll see...    It is a fun but almost overwhelming process to import a bike that has been completely disassembled.  A friend of mine works in a Dyno shop for an NHRA V-Twin bike racer.  He wants to do some polishing and such... That should help some.  It will probably be later in the week before I get to do much to it.  Next weekend should give me some time to work also. 

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »
Since it is a 500 it will have been made in the 1990's or early 2,000's since they didn't make them before that. In the late 1990's or early 2,000's Royal Enfielid sold a bunch of 500'd to Iraq under a world bank deal. I belive that they were for the mail service. They all came with sidecars. Since Royal Enfield did not make sidecars I hooked them up with Cozy. We get quite a few orders from GI's in Iraq who have picked these bikes up. A VIN number will get you the data you will need to buy parts.

comp3d

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 03:02:08 AM »
I don't know the vin yet.  I'll email my buddy tomorrow and see if he can get it for me.  I did get this number off of the tranny.  It is a rh shift with the following numbers on it:
1H1587.  I really can't make the numbers out on the engine.  It looks like: R6QA84  I'm not sure if that is a Q or something else... maybe that will help narrow it down. 

comp3d

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:32:18 PM »
Kevin - I searched on the site but didn't see where I could id the bike with the vin.
It is:  1B511893L 

comp3d

• Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 01:23:33 AM »
Kevin - Unfortunately you were dead on.  It is a 2001.  I thought my buddy knew the bikes well enough to know.  I don't know whether to part it out or try to get it together and ride it for awhile.  Any suggestions?

comp3d

• Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 03:30:28 AM »
I have been assembling the engine and bolted the tranny up tonight.  It is looking pretty good.  I polished most of the carbon build up off of the piston.  I need to order a set of rings and some gaskets.