HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Bombshell Betty #1

in
Members Rides

55 Guests, 2 Users
Bullet Whisperer, Hutch2
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 07:45:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do I need a Sidecar brake?  (Read 106 times)

The Old Coot

• Neophyte
Do I need a Sidecar brake?
« on: August 02, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »
I'm looking at buying a C5 with a Cozy next spring, and for once looking at things before I drop a wad of cash. I have both a KLR and Versys and these two will be my "Working" bikes with  the Rig being a fun bike. I'm NOT a Interstate runner at all, might as well be in a bus!  :o

The dealer said I'd likely need a sidecar brake. I got the feeling the Enfield and Cozy would be OK without this as it doesn't weigh a ton. If I do need one where can I get one and is it a big deal to install?  I am planning this as a local back road Putt Putt bike. I may ride to work on nice days all back roads and 11 miles. 

Another question on building this rig, would lowering the final drive ratio be needed or even a good idea. I'm not a "Boy Racer" and would rather have more get up and go than top end. I was thinking of dropping the front by a tooth or two as it looks like the rear will be a major headache to change out, that rear sprocket/drum combo is the craziest thing I have ever seen!

Thanks   

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
Re: Do I need a Sidecar brake?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 04:11:17 PM »
There are hundreds of Cozys running around with no brake. However..... more brake is always a good thing.

Dropping the front sprocket by a tooth is a good idea. The rear sprocket/drum really can't be changed. It is the same 1930's design

creaky

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »
I have a 2006 Bullet with a Cozy sidecar. Bought last year. It has a brake which I am told Cozy never made and is from something else. It was very in-effective and I can show you pics if you want. The problem was it worked on a shaft in line with the brake lever (where it connects to the stoplight) This placed the chair about 6 inches too forward giving me a trail of about 14 inches. To move the chair back to a respectable 8 inches (trail) I dispensed with the brake. Handles much better and brake was useless anyway. (It was only a single leading shoe type) One day I may experiment and make the brake work from a cable like a car handbrake. Let me know how yours turns out.

AwL

• Scooter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »
Don't have a brake on G5 with old California Companion and have not found that i need one.  Had brake on old Watsonion frame before and never used it.  Could be handy sometimes i suppose but not essential.