HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

01 Classic

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 06:29:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: California  (Read 10691 times)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Re: California
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »
Gasoline has morphed into a chemically enriched alcohol..  I brought two different gas powered leaf blowers from home depot over the past 3 months, one was a midprice ryobi and the other a cheaper home depot brand model..After using one time and using the manufacturer 50-1 mix  (mind u new gas ), they wouldn't start...

You answered your own question in a sense.  You simply CANNOT run ethanol gas in a 2-stroke without it suffering for it, especially if you only run it once in a while.  Typically you're gonna fill up a gas can and let that gas sit for a while.  Well, ethanol, being a great solvent will eat away at the gas can and leave those deposits in your cylinder when it burns the gas.  Also, it gathers water in as little as a few hours, and starts to decompose in as little as a week.  Stabilizer will help, but really you need non-ethanol fuel.

This is what you need: http://amzn.com/B007U592HU

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 11:27:17 PM »
I think rather than paying $23.33 per gallon (plus shipping) I will buy a gallon of Coleman fuel for the $12/gallon I saw at the store.

It is basically "white gasoline" and it will work in small gasoline engines.

The last time I did this, the gas was for my chain saw so I poured some into my lawnmower and then added the 2 cycle oil to the rest that was still in the can.

To help me identify this fuel and to keep me from using this pre-mix in my Coleman stove and lantern I painted the outside of the can with some black spray paint.

It's still expensive but weighed against the cost of screwing up small 2 stroke engines with gasohol it is a cheap way to go.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 11:33:51 PM »
I think rather than paying $23.33 per gallon (plus shipping) I will buy a gallon of Coleman fuel for the $12/gallon I saw at the store.

The last time I did this, the gas was for my chain saw so I poured some into my lawnmower and then added the 2 cycle oil to the rest that was still in the can.

To help me identify this fuel and to keep me from using this pre-mix in my Coleman stove and lantern I painted the outside of the can with some black spray paint.

It's still expensive but weighed against the cost of screwing up small 2 stroke engines with gasohol it is a cheap way to go.

Thanks for the tip!  I forgot about white gas.  The link was really for informational purposes, I don't recommend paying VP's premium.  I know there are some go-kart shops and performance engine shops around my area that will sell you similar stuff without such a premium.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates of Eden
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »

I suppose about 5 of us on this forum remember Amoco White. It's all I would use in my cars AND bikes all through the '60s & '70s until it disappeared. I still remember the last Amoco station that closed up in my area. Amoco White helped maintain carbs & engines clean as a whistle inside unlike today's chemistry experiment, political scam, bullshit story gasolines. 
2008 ACE Head AVL Classic
1977 Shovelhead Hardtail Bobber

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »
                I suppose about 5 of us on this forum remember Amoco White. It's all I would use in my cars AND bikes all through the '60s & '70s until it disappeared. I still remember the last Amoco station that closed up in my area. Amoco White helped maintain carbs & engines clean as a whistle inside unlike today's chemistry experiment, political scam, bullshit story gasolines.

Before my time, but that sounds awesome. 

I barely remember oil coming in cans -- they were switching to bottles when I was a kid.  In my older vehicles I always thought it was dumb that the oil fill location is often awkward to reach with the bottles so you basically HAVE to use a funnel... then it dawned on me one day that they were probably designed with oil cans in mind, where you jam that nice long spout into the can top.  I really wish I could still buy oil in cans.