HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Rocker

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 07:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: California  (Read 10523 times)

CMW-Rhett

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
California
« on: August 09, 2007, 06:15:06 PM »
We are frequently asked about the availability of Royal Enfield motorcycles in California.

New Royal Enfield Motorcycles are not currently available for purchase in California. Like many other bikes with smaller distribution volume, new Royal Enfield models are "49-state bikes". We've added a California Availability Page on the website to answer common questions and provide more information.
Rhett Waldock
Royal Enfield USA
Classic Motorworks
www.enfieldmotorcycles.com
www.royalenfieldusa.com

doxiedog

Re: California
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:14:01 PM »
65 people before me,have read this. Thats a lot of missed sales,for a simple gas tank mod.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:43 PM »
65 people before me,have read this. Thats a lot of missed sales,for a simple gas tank mod.

I doubt any MC mfr is going to ignore potential profit. It can't be economical for them to provide separate and distinct models for the PRC(alifornia) - or they'd be selling them there.

Most mfrs have discontinued their separate California-version bikes. It was too costly. Instead, they make all models conform to CARB standards. Smart move economically, especially since other states (like my own) continue to tighten their emissions regulations.

RE cannot pass CARB with the current models. One reason (I have to guess) that they're rolling out the new unit-construction engine.

They also have to worry about Euro 3 standards.

Just my two cents.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:42:03 PM »
There are two things driving the development of the Unit Construction Engine. Tightening misusing standards (Euro 3 is the most imminent) and the desire to raise quality and reliability. We actually hold a CARB certificate. What it took was a small catalytic converter in the silencer and a sealed petrol tank. Simple enough. The factory has been unwilling to make the modifications because in a relative sense California is a small market (for them, not for us). They are more open minded about it with the new UCE.
  The Bullet engine has hung together all of these years through lots of engineering fixed which have been hung on the old engine design. It has reached the end of those possibilities. To meet emerging emission standards and to make the unit more reliable the new engine was designed. The design charge was to make a long stroke singe engine that was modern yet vintage. Not an easy task, but I think they did a good job.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:29:05 PM »
I can't add anything to the discussion but speaking as a Brit, I was astonished to learn that you can't buy a RE in California although you can buy one in any of the other states.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:45:19 PM »
California is  DIFFERENT  to say the least - they have laws nobody can understand.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 09:06:28 PM »
Just out of curiosity - it it legal to OWN a Bullet in California, say by going to another state to buy it and then bringing it home?

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:10:58 PM »
You can own one, as long as it is not brand new - it can only be used, and titled in another state.  If it is really old, you have less hassle.

I moved to CA for a few months, in '98. I had any amount of problems with my vehicle licensing.  I never got it resolved, as I left the state before that.  Now, I will not live in California again.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
Calfifornia Rant - avoid if sensitive
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 03:39:30 PM »
Although I lived in San Francisco for many years and love California, one of the greatest problems they have ever put on themselves was the installation of a full-time legislature. Besides feeling obligated to pass more laws than anyone needs it also makes certain that the rule making is in the hands of professional politicians and lobbyists not citizens. My father- in -law was a State Senator in a state where the legislature only met every other year and then for a limited amount of time. No office, no secretary, no minions kissing his as* etc. Although a small state they had the same issues that any large state has and got the work done in a short amount of time. It forces common sense and practicality. It also insures that the legislators are everyday working people and not professionals.

gapl53

Re: Calfifornia Rant - avoid if sensitive
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 04:23:15 PM »
Although I lived in San Francisco for many years and love California, one of the greatest problems they have ever put on themselves was the installation of a full-time legislature. Besides feeling obligated to pass more laws than anyone needs it also makes certain that the rule making is in the hands of professional politicians and lobbyists not citizens. My father- in -law was a State Senator in a state where the legislature only met every other year and then for a limited amount of time. No office, no secretary, no minions kissing his as* etc. Although a small state they had the same issues that any large state has and got the work done in a short amount of time. It forces common sense and practicality. It also insures that the legislators are everyday working people and not professionals.

Hear, Hear!
Couldn't  have said it better.
It's a diffrent country in that state.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 02:36:42 AM »
lived in LA...  4 a while..

got pulled over in Hollywood In a 68 muscle car cause I had KY tags..  was told to go get legal or face a fine.. I was told at the inspection place I was illegal from the air cleaner down..  I said stick ure emmisions checker to the pipes.. he said it doesn't matter if you show up cleaner than their requirements..  you can't change anything.. so i moved to Houston, and didn't pass their test either until I took out my european halogen headlights and put in inferior sealed beams..

stupid  rules..  gRRRRrrr.. I'l refrain and be nice... grrrrrrgrUmbLe

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 04:53:59 AM »
I refuse to live anywhere that has vehicle emission testing, or annual inspections.  Just a matter of principal.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

JLR

• Neophyte
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 04:00:06 AM »
No inspection or test in Kansas...unless you buy an out of state vehicle and then it must pass inspection before tagging. I think..never done it myself. However...property tax here is a bite!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 12:14:54 PM »
I refuse to live anywhere that has vehicle emission testing, or annual inspections.  Just a matter of principal.

So, you'll be living in which third world country in about 10 years?  ;)

It's bound to bite you sooner or later!

More and more of our counties require emission testing as we continue to see urban and suburban sprawl. Most of them only require it on cars; but I'm sure bikes are next. Yuck.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 12:16:30 PM by Thumper »

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 02:28:09 PM »
It is unlikely to get me, anytime soon - I buy houses in extreme rural areas - not enough funding to enact a clean air program in such areas, and there probably will never be.  If I lived in a town, without emission testing, I would expect them to enact it some time, but out here in the boonies, it will never happen. 
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA