HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Offroading on the banks of Yamuna river. Delhi

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 12:05:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 7" tri-beam or halogen7"??  (Read 1625 times)

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
7" tri-beam or halogen7"??
« on: August 13, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
Some where in the world, my new military scoot and side care are sitting just WAITING for me to make them happy! :D
Until it comes in,  is made as oner, I have to drool and look at accessories for it.
My '04 Bullet had the 5" head light, (which was good for day light riding). ;)
Seeing how this is gonna be my cold weather/snow commute machine, me thinks I need a bit more candle power on the head light.
I've never seem a tri beam up close and in person, but, it looks cool.
Has any one installed that on their scoot? Do you like the beam of light? Why is it a Tri beam?
Halogen light, I've seem those. They seem to throw a lot of light.
Which one throws more light onto the asphalt?
Tanks!
Joe
So many=y bikes, so few $$! ::)

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Re: 7" tri-beam or halogen7"??
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 07:32:57 PM »
Joe -

I have the Tri-bar on my Classic, and I like it - throws a buch more light than the 5 1/4.  Its styled like a vintage conventional design, but is a 55/60 watt halogen lamp.  Some folks think the light pattern is broken up by the tri-bar design, but it works fine for  me... gets a lot of light out.  I travel on dark country lanes during the summer and never use the hi-beam.

The more conventional styled bulbs might look a little more "correct" on the Military, but if you like the styling, the lamp works fine, IMHO.  When my tri-bar gives up the ghost, I'll likely replace it with a Hella halogen available at any auto parts place - only costs about half of the tri-bar.

If you go with the tri-bar, you'll need a 7" conversion kit, too.  You can save some bucks with the 7" conversion kit that CMW sells - already has the conversion ring installed on a 7" halogen.  Just unscrew the stock bulb and in with the new...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:51:51 PM »
I did the standard 7" conversion. I could not believe how much better the light output was. It was like going from a pen light to a cop style Mag Light.
Endeavor To Persevere

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:34:42 PM »
Tanks! ;D
On my '04 I tried to keep it, "period correct", but this scoot is a work scoot and therefore I have to use, "what works best'.

It's too bad we couldn't get the windings rewound to put out enough watts to run a light bar, a light on my side car.
The road I take has a stretch where the deer must be comming back for the Elks Club in the morning, cuz there always seem to be a few hanging @ and almost ALWAYS a poor soul who was playing, "chicken" with a car and lost.
I've had a few close encounters so far, but have been lucky.
Joe
So many bikes, so few $$

19d1

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:51:04 PM »
 Moved post to a new thread.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:27:18 PM by 19d1 »