HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

1968 Rebuild

in
Members Rides

46 Guests, 2 Users
sxk122, kodai
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 05:38:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 7" tri-beam or halogen7"??  (Read 1618 times)

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
7" tri-beam or halogen7"??
« on: August 13, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
Some where in the world, my new military scoot and side care are sitting just WAITING for me to make them happy! :D
Until it comes in,  is made as oner, I have to drool and look at accessories for it.
My '04 Bullet had the 5" head light, (which was good for day light riding). ;)
Seeing how this is gonna be my cold weather/snow commute machine, me thinks I need a bit more candle power on the head light.
I've never seem a tri beam up close and in person, but, it looks cool.
Has any one installed that on their scoot? Do you like the beam of light? Why is it a Tri beam?
Halogen light, I've seem those. They seem to throw a lot of light.
Which one throws more light onto the asphalt?
Tanks!
Joe
So many=y bikes, so few $$! ::)

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Re: 7" tri-beam or halogen7"??
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 07:32:57 PM »
Joe -

I have the Tri-bar on my Classic, and I like it - throws a buch more light than the 5 1/4.  Its styled like a vintage conventional design, but is a 55/60 watt halogen lamp.  Some folks think the light pattern is broken up by the tri-bar design, but it works fine for  me... gets a lot of light out.  I travel on dark country lanes during the summer and never use the hi-beam.

The more conventional styled bulbs might look a little more "correct" on the Military, but if you like the styling, the lamp works fine, IMHO.  When my tri-bar gives up the ghost, I'll likely replace it with a Hella halogen available at any auto parts place - only costs about half of the tri-bar.

If you go with the tri-bar, you'll need a 7" conversion kit, too.  You can save some bucks with the 7" conversion kit that CMW sells - already has the conversion ring installed on a 7" halogen.  Just unscrew the stock bulb and in with the new...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:51:51 PM »
I did the standard 7" conversion. I could not believe how much better the light output was. It was like going from a pen light to a cop style Mag Light.
Endeavor To Persevere

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:34:42 PM »
Tanks! ;D
On my '04 I tried to keep it, "period correct", but this scoot is a work scoot and therefore I have to use, "what works best'.

It's too bad we couldn't get the windings rewound to put out enough watts to run a light bar, a light on my side car.
The road I take has a stretch where the deer must be comming back for the Elks Club in the morning, cuz there always seem to be a few hanging @ and almost ALWAYS a poor soul who was playing, "chicken" with a car and lost.
I've had a few close encounters so far, but have been lucky.
Joe
So many bikes, so few $$

19d1

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:51:04 PM »
 Moved post to a new thread.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:27:18 PM by 19d1 »