HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

03 Bullet

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 12:29:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Royal Davidson"? and cheap legwarmers  (Read 1227 times)

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
"Royal Davidson"? and cheap legwarmers
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »
So being the constant tinker(er), I just couldn't leave well enough alone!
I've have my military bike 3-4 days, so it was time to whip out the wrenches! ::)
I took the engine guard off and had a old stop sign, I traced the guard outline on it, and cut it out with my jig saw. Poof! One instant leg guards!
I sprayed painted it military Green, zipped tied it at a few spots, drilled holes for the mounting clamps, cut a notch for the pipe.
Whilst the paint was drying, I was looking at the exhaust!
Granted my bike has only 56-ish miles on it, a long way from being broken in, but.......................
I went to the "bike shed", (I made a 14X14" shed to hold our many bikes and gear. It ALMOST holds all our "stuff")!
Looking @ I found a Harley silencer, a FMF off road silencer, and a V&H "shorty".
We're in business!
First it was straight pipe-ville!
LOUD! :o If I were 16 that's how it'd be!
The V&H shorty was next. You can look straight through that, (it was on my '96 Kawi Vulcan 1500. They were LOUD on that).
It was a tad quieter than open pipe. (this was my sons favorite)
the FMF silencer off our XR 400 was next. It had 15 or so "wafers" on it, (they are like doughnuts, wavy thin steel plates. The more plates, the louder).
It had a weird sound. I couldn't use THAT model cuz it had a bend in the pipe to fit the XR.
The Harley silencer was next.
I dunno if it was the front silencer, (the PAT in Potato) or the rear one(the atoe)! :D
It didn't sound like the vintage silencer you can get from CMW, but it did sound better than stock. A hose clamp to the passenger peg was a good rear mount.
My sons said it sounds like a lawnmower, but I thought it had a little of that "British single thump sound"
HMMMMMM.
(I also had a "Cherry Bomb" car muffler, but that had a 1 1/2" inlet and I didn't have a reducer@ the shop). That may sound intresting!
I took it off cuz I don't have any jets to set the carb, but I just might use that one!
I'll have the only, Harley Enfield?, or Royal Davidson?!! ;)
The leg guard went on after it was dry, a pair of old vinyl snap on mud hand guards kept the wind off my hands, (I'm gonna look at the Quad hand warmers that snap over the handle bar controls today).
The leg wind guards looks kinda like elephant ears, a bit unsightly, but it kept 99% of the wind off my legs, (a bit right at my knees).
A small windsheld to keep the wind off my chest and face.
I'm ready for the cccoooolllddd weather.
This just proves I have too much time on my hands! :D
Joe
Hey! This is running perfect! :) Let's see, if we do this................... :o

Talcecom

• Neophyte
Re: "Royal Davidson"? and cheap legwarmers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:30:06 PM »
Does anyone know if there are commercial leg warmers/guard that will fit the bullet?  ??? I would like to have a set that looks like the ones I see in the old pictures. Thanks, Bob.

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 02:34:41 PM »
A set of leather ones that could either "snap on" or Velcro in place would be cool, er, warm! :)
I have a set on my Vulcan that have pockets that come in really handy to hold gloves, neck warmers.
The more I look at the ones I've made, the more they remind me of the dinosaur in Jurassic park, the little one that attacks the guy in the jeep! ;D
Joe
I ride, therefore I am! :D

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »
I purchased a set of genuine Hardley Ableson leather chaps they were too long, so a cobbler shop shortened the legs. total cost $ 70.00 used, such a deal!
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on