HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

geichals' bobber

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 12:56:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's wrong with the stock Carb on the new Electria bikes?  (Read 1474 times)

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
What's wrong with the stock Carb on the new Electria bikes?
« on: October 16, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »
So 1/2 of my new bike is in my garage. The side car in still on the ocean somewhere.
 I could wait any longer, so I grabbed the Military bike and hauled it home!
I'm looking at all the mods everyone is doing and seems they are switching to the Kehnin flat slide, or the Mukuni round slide instead of the stocker, (also I guess the Amal too).
The only reason I can see for the switch would be the throttle response? of the slide carbs?
I'm wondering, if that is the case, like my Kawi KLR 650, I drilled the hole in the slide a tad bit larger to let more vac up to the diaphragm, open the air box and raised the needle and it ran like a champ. throttle response has improved a great deal also.
Has anyone "screwed" with the stock carb to see if it works, "better"?
The air intake system HAS to go, but carb too?
Why the carb swap out on the new motors?
Thanks
Confused Joe ???
I ride, therefore I am! ;)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Re: What's wrong with the stock Carb on the new Electria bikes?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »
It's probably better that you are breaking in the motor without the sidecar anyway.
If it was mine I'd put a thousand easy miles on it before you subject it to a sidecar.

I think that all the carb switching is for go fast not so much for run good.
Drilling the slide is good on lite hot rod bikes but once you put the side car on it might fall right on its face if the slide opens too fast.
I went through the same thing when a so called mechanic drilled the slide on my Electra Glide.
It might have been the greatest thing since milk toast on a Dyna but on a heavy touring bike it just gagged on it's own fuel.  That along with a Yost Power Tube turned my 45 mpg machine into a 25 mpg machine.

1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2012 Concours 14 (no name yet)
2013 Royal Star Venture S  "Jelly Roll"

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:32:05 PM »
Nothing wrong with the stock carb on the Electra.

As long as it is properly set up and adjusted, it will work as good as any other carb.

The only advantage of a bigger carb is that it will pass more air at large throttle openings, which you don't even need to do during break-in anyway.
At small to medium throttle openings, the normal carb will do anything the larger carb will do, and also provide better idle and low-end torque.

A bigger carb is mostly for large throttle openings which is normally associated with performance riding.
In the case of the flat slide carb, it will have the advantage of being better on large throttle openings and also give good low range and midrange torque and good idle, because of the flatslide design.
But, if you are not hotrodding around, a larger carb can be a big waste of money.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:03:50 PM »
All Ace.cafe, true, so true.
On my '04 65, I screwed with all different size and style carbs trying to get that last bit of power out of it!
After a pile of hours, a thousand curses, more than a few fouled plugs, a few gallons of gas spilled about the shopfloor, my clothes,I realized the jetting and carb I STARTED with worked the best!
I hadn't thought about the the pull of the side car in relation to the carb opening.
You are correct sir, I'd yank that throttle and more than likely bog coming from the pilot to the main jet.
I'd then think it was too rick in the needle, drop that, get a bad surge, go back RAISE the needle, smaller jet..............
Can you see the countless hours, fouled plugs, curses, gas spilled on the shop floor AGAIN!
Better to leave well enough alone. If I need to stroke out, I'll play with my off road bikes! ;D
Joe
I ride, therefore I am! ;D