HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

my Royal Enfield thunderbird

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 09:12:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installing new turn signals  (Read 5343 times)

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Re: Installing new turn signals
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »
Great suggestions. Thank you.

I have not had good luck with JB Weld, but that gives me an idea: I am thinking about cutting off the rounded end of the rubber stopper, rubber cementing a nut to the end of the stopper, then rubber cementing the stopper in place, and running a screw through the hole in the stopper.

If that fails, then trying the rubberized hose clamps.

I really like the look of the indicators lower down and farther back.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 11:59:04 PM »
What about packing the tube full of plastic steel, then after it hardens drill and tap it and put the screw into that.  I think the only problem might be that the steel would slip out of the tube. 

As far as strength, it would hold, I believe, I once patched a hole boken into the case of a CB750 Honda that had been made when a chain let go.

Also, maybe you could put a piece of threaded rod coupler into the tube, then drill through the tube and coupler, perpendicular, and run a stainless bolt through, from inside to outside to hold it in place, and top it with a chrome acorn nut to dress it up.  Then you would have an internally threaded end on the tube
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:00:41 AM by Alaroyal »
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 02:10:58 AM »
Could you JB Weld a nut inside the tube?

Ahh, JB Weld, a man I can respect, and ugly but functional solution.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 12:27:07 AM »
I got them installed at the end of the fender supports and they look great there. That is where they belong for me.

I took a piece of rubber hose just smaller than the tube, and used a permatex super weather stripping cement and glued a nut to one end. I then glued the hose into the tube and let it dry. Took a small angle bracket from the hardware store, drilled out one of the holes to fit the indicator. Slipped a bolt up through the bracket and screwed it into the nut.

It seems solid,
-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'02 BMW R1150R

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »
I like this idea - it's very similar to the bar end mirror setup. I'm going to try this and hopefully I won't mess up the grounding. Thanks for posting!

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 06:05:53 PM »
I actually tried a number of anchor bolts thinking of the bar end mirrors and they didn't work for me. I believe the rubber hose will expand to help the glue, like the anchor bolts do.

After doing it, every time I see the indicators on the seat brackets I think they look like mouse ears.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'02 BMW R1150R

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 01:27:45 PM »
Probably way late! I bolted the bullet turn signals into the rear holes where the factory seat bolted on. I also installed the tombstone taillight. I then snipped a little hole in the harness underneath the left rear fender, just beside the new left signal location. I then took one bolt loose from the luggage rack and installed a wire clamp,  through which I ran the right signal wire, and re-installed the luggage rack bolt. This should keep the tire off the right signal wire. Work good...last long time.
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

RavenTooth

• Neophyte
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »
hi, I need some help with my turn signal wiring in the back. I believe I'm getting a short to ground but I'm not sure why.

I got some enfield front brackets to use in the rear of my 2012 enfield. I have turn signals with two wires. I already successfully hooked them up in the front.

I attached the brackets to the same screw as the license plate is held onto and hooked the wires up. They both work while the back plate of the brake light box is off. When I attached the back plate the screws spark and the turn signals stop working. Obviously I'm creating some kind of short when I do this. I'm not an electrician. What is the answer to fix this?

RavenTooth

• Neophyte
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 05:06:59 AM »
I figured it out. Turns out the wires in the back are marked backwards from the front, so I had the positive and ground reversed. Switched the wires and put the back cover back on and it works great.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 10:07:57 PM »
This same wire reversal happened on the front turn signals of my 2011 G5.

Using the color of the wires insulation to determine whether it is the power lead or the ground lead can lead to problems on these RE's.
The only safe way to know if the wire is the power supply or the ground is to test it with a Volt/Ohm meter.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary