HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

cats meow

in
Members Rides

47 Guests, 4 Users
Jonno, gizzo, shibbo, WDG
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 06:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&N...junk?  (Read 2804 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Re: K&N...junk?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 05:10:44 AM »
Dept of Interior had a paper out a couple of years after Mt. St. Helen's blew.  The paper air filters in trucks they were driving in the cleanup areas were clogging up with the volcanic dust.  So they stuck K & N filters in.  The filters stopped clogging up as fast, but the engines needed overhaul far sooner than normal.  Yes that's an example from extreme conditions, but it showed that you give up protection for better breathing.  How do you think K & N filters breathe better?  It's not by filtering better.  Need more power?  Get a bigger motor.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
I think K&N Filters are overpriced for what they do. I LOVE the white pleated paper filters, I have used them for decades, & recently found one the approximate size, in the LAWNMOWER PARTS, at O'RIELLY AUTO PARTS. It works great & cost $4.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 03:35:58 AM »
I think K&N Filters are overpriced for what they do. I LOVE the white pleated paper filters, I have used them for decades, & recently found one the approximate size, in the LAWNMOWER PARTS, at O'RIELLY AUTO PARTS. It works great & cost $4.

Ace's Canister is pretty much accepted as being able to breathe more than RE engines can suck in, but it has a paper element that isn't any bigger than the Tool Box filter of the UCE.
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 06:25:22 PM »
When I changed from the stock filter to K&N, I had no measurable change in mileage. My bike averaged 69.8 MPG throughout its life.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 12:50:21 AM »
When I change from stock paper filter to K & N I saw no difference.  When I switched to the Ace Canister mileage stayed the same but the engine was much more lively.  It only lasted about 2 months though.  Death came by Nissan.  :'(
1975 XLCH