HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

copenhagen enfield

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 10:55:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Retro Trailers  (Read 1709 times)

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Retro Trailers
« on: January 10, 2009, 02:50:04 AM »
Kevin

Have you received any of the trailers yet?
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
Re: Retro Trailers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 07:04:19 AM »
Funny you should ask. We just got them into our East Coast warehouse this week. We are having some shipped to us in MN so we can develop insturcionts and inspect this non-protoype batch for quality. Assuming that all goes well we should start selling them in about 2 weeks

calman28556

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 11:48:59 AM »
Kevin,

Just for the sake of being curious, do you think a Bullet with a hack can tow one of these trailers without putting a strain on the engine?
On the Road - Again. And Again, And Again.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »
Kevin,

Just for the sake of being curious, do you think a Bullet with a hack can tow one of these trailers without putting a strain on the engine?

While awaiting Kevin's reply...

I'd estimate that yes, it could pull the trailer and the hack both.
The strain on the engine should be managed by appropriately reducing the cruising speed further, to account for higher load.
It might be a bit of a strain on the clutch, which may need to be beefed-up to deal with starting off from a stop with more weight to pull.

The problems could arise, not necessarily from all that storage space and the weight of the hack and trailer themselves, but how much weight you put in them.
Just because you may have the space to put a whole bunch of heavy stuff, doesn't mean that the bike can pull everything you can stuff in them.
So, packing relatively light, and within the load range of the hack and trailer, in a reasonable manner should work, I would think.

Definitely consider that the brakes on a Bullet are not great, and trying to bring all that stuff to a stop might become an issue too. If you have an Electra, the disc brake would come in real handy in a case like that.

Gearing down to a 16 tooth sprocket might also be a good idea. Probably limit cruising speed to about 40mph.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head Conversion. Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available anywhere.  AVL mods available. UCE kit coming.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 05:53:18 PM »
I think the first thing to consider is the gross weight capability of the bike. it is listed on the information plate. You will have to calculate how much of the sidecars weight transfers to the bike, then the trailer. Of course the weight of the rider as well. I would say that under any circumstances a piillion passenger is out of the question. Assuming you can hook this all up safely I would concur that a 16 tooth sprocket might be a good idea.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 06:13:12 PM »
As a long-time sidecarist, I would like to point out that carrying a pillion passenger is highly controversial.  Personally, I think it's too dangerous and I would strongly recomment against it. It throws the weight distribution all off, and can easily make seemingly tame right-handers a life threatening experience.

Adressing the original question, I'm still breaking in my bike. However, from what I've experienced so far, unless you're only carry a small child or a dag, I would think better clutch springs and lower gearing would be necessary for any terraine other than a flat surface.

FWIW
Run what ya brung

calman28556

• Bulleteer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 04:18:40 AM »
I certainly hope no one thought I was serious about adding a trailer to my hack set up. That was one of those "I wonder if" questions.

But for everyone's info I ran my Bullet with the hack with the original factory installed sprockets for 4.6K miles with no "pull problems."  Rider weight was 205 pounds and before my ill-fated C2C2C August trip  I took a couple of extended rides with passengers weighing in at 145 and 165 lbs each--- separately.   For the trip I guess I had around 100 pounds of camping gear, water, ice and gifts.  I had no problems with accelleration or braking even in the Dragon's Tail, the Smokies or the "hill country."

Upon return from the trip in September Backroads of JAX. NC (RE Dealer) changed out the chipped rear sprocket and installed a 17 sprocket (thanks again,Kevin). I have noticed the last 1.5K miles that it does "pull" easier but have not noticed any apprecible difference in the clutch action. Braking action is still great even with my drum brakes.

I learned back in the 60d and 70s you don't go two-up with a sidecar even though I saw a lot of it in RVN and Europe..  You're just asking for it.  For my trip I stuffed a rolled up sleeping bag into a dry bag and bungeed it to the pillion seat and it became a comfortable backrest.
On the Road - Again. And Again, And Again.

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:26:22 PM »
Funny you should ask. We just got them into our East Coast warehouse this week. We are having some shipped to us in MN so we can develop insturcionts and inspect this non-protoype batch for quality. Assuming that all goes well we should start selling them in about 2 weeks

I would be willing to field test one for you! ;D

BigDon
REA #73

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 03:36:42 AM »

I would be willing to field test one for you! ;D

OK I will even pay the freight to get it down to Atlanta! ;D

BigDon
REA #73

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »
Ok, guess I am not going to get a bite on this idea! ;D

Let us know when you set the pricing.
BigDon
REA #73