HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My Fireball

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 06:48:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interesting read  (Read 202 times)

bluesdaddy2

• Bulleteer
  • aka Ross
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

AstroGT

• Neophyte
Re: Interesting read
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:46:08 PM »
Interesting? That was a GREAT read! Lets hope that RE continue their move upward in both local and world markets.  :D

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 05:53:26 PM »
Interesting? That was a GREAT read! Lets hope that RE continue their move upward in both local and world markets.  :D
+1

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 06:37:16 PM »
From the article, "the 50s British technology was jettisoned".

This is a sore point with me. There wasn't anything really wrong with the "50s British" part of the bike. This was the scapegoat which was used over and over as their excuse for poor manufacturing quality during the Iron Barrel years.
When they introduced the UCE, their manufacturing quality started to go up, which was good. But the reason for the Iron Barrels having poor quality had NOTHING to do with the British roots.
I'm done swallowing the line that the British design was the problem.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:08:13 PM by ace.cafe »

AstroGT

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »
But the reason for the Iron Barrels having poor quality had NOTHING to do with the British roots.
Agreed. Regardless of country or whether the design is junk or not, in the end, it boils down to a line worker with a 4-alarm hangover, or worse, or an assembly robot with compromised software that's going to let both the manufacturer and the end user down.

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 07:02:35 PM »
From the article, "the 50s British technology was jettisoned".

This is a sore point with me. There wasn't anything really wrong with the "50s British" part of the bike. This was the scapegoat which was used over and over as their excuse for poor manufacturing quality during the Iron Barrel years.
When they introduced the UCE, their manufacturing quality started to go up, which was good. But the reason for the Iron Barrels having poor quality had NOTHING to do with the British roots.

Exactly - I keep running into folks who will diss something simply because it was old.
The 1950s Velocette did 100 MPH average non stop for 24 hours which no other bike has done even given the unobtanium alloy that modern bikes are made of....

Just give me a Bullet with the rest of the parts as good as the ACE ones!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 12:16:17 AM »
Well Ace, I think some of the 1950 British technology was "jettisoned".

Back in those days, it wasn't uncommon for gaskets and oil seals to be made out of leather which leaked.
 The wet plate clutch disks sometimes used cork for their pads and anyone who has owned a British vehicle will not remember the Lucas electronics with fondness.

Just sayin'.   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

pknopp

• Bulleteer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 02:48:14 PM »
in the all-time hit film Sholay

I've never seen this movie. Should I see it and is it any good?

I normally dislike an ad popping up in an article but I do have to note, I did not mind the Breitling ad.

That said......good for R.E. to have been able to carve out a successful nitch. I'm glad they found a way to grow and remain viable. I wouldn't trade my 2000 for any of the new ones but I realize I'm a part of a small market.
2000 Dlx