HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My '97

in
Members Rides

45 Guests, 1 User
Dharmabum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2014, 09:37:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2006 Electra running issues  (Read 93 times)

Serveta

• Neophyte
  • Mods,Rockers and Hooligans...
2006 Electra running issues
« on: September 13, 2014, 10:38:11 PM »
New here 1st post.. I my bike only has 1200 miles on it and it started running bad..it will start and idle fine, you can give it gas and will run fine, but while riding it, it cuts out if you get on it,almost like it's starving of gas , or while just cruising it starts to cut out. This all started after a 50 mile run and heading back home..started to act like it was going to foul a plug. So I stopped and replaced it and it continued , I limped it home..
   I really need help or ideas on this.. This is what I've done with no fixes to the way it's running.
Rebuilt carb, cleaned tank and petcock, installed another plug BR8ES, checked fuel flow from tank 70CC per minute. I'm now starting to think maybe the coil is acting up and going out..thanks

DanB

• Grease Monkey
Re: 2006 Electra running issues
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:16:26 AM »
I'd start at the easy things.  Since you check tank, petcock and carb (although you didn't say if you're running stock or have you modified it) ... i'd check for the following:

1.  Are the battery terminals and associated connectors ok?  I've had battery terminal connectors break, but the shrink tubing held it in place.
2.  Is all the rubber to and from the carb still good?  Check for leaks.
3.  Is you engine breather line clear or clogged up? Any oil in the air box?

Hope this helps. A pic and more details would be handy.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
What type of ignition do you have on the bike?  Is it factory?  Are you absolutely positive that you rebuilt and put the carb back together correctly?  Put the needle back in the same position that it was in?

It could be a bad coil but you'll have to do a bit of troubleshooting.  Here's a recent post about replacement coils and testing.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,20322.0.html

Scottie J
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver, CO
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building the 1st EVER Supercharged RE Twin
FULL RACE motor with ACE Performance

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 01:01:50 PM »
Float level too high?
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/

Serveta

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »
Thanks for the advise ... I've checked connections , battery , and so fourth . I don't have a air box , but I checked the vent tubes and there's no major oil in them, just residue . I have a CDI system factory install. I know the carb is rebuilt correctly, I've rebuilt endless 2-stroke carbs..I have checked the flow rate for the float yet..I even check the fuel cap to make sure it's breathing out, checked for leaks all the way around the fuel system , rubber boot , lines..
The one thing I thought was strange is the air mixture screw is only back out 3/4 of a turn ,but this is what it was set at so I put it back the same .. I know my scooter and dirt bikes are all about 2 to 3 full turns
    More details on the issue.. It starts no problem, idles great.. Even on center stand cracking the throttle it runs and sounds good.. So when I take it out in the street, 1st gear thru 3rd changing gears are good, then when I slow down it starts it's cutting / back firing..and has died when I come to a stop. Starts right back up and off I go and it starts cutting out as I give it gas, jerking as if it wants to die..
 Even at a steady speed of 25 mph it will start cutting out, like turning the key on and off..
 It starts all of this once it's warm, when cold it doesn't seem to do it as much but that's only a few minutes, I live in AZ.. So the day it started I was the 1st time I took it to 75 mph  and longest distance of 50 miles .. Mostly was cruising at 65 and not holding it steady at that speed..that's when it started cutting out for a split second, enough to feel it.
  This is my 1st Enfield and I love it.. It's modified as minus the engine itself.. The pipe, carb, air filter were done at a Enfield dealer shop . It was re jetted for pipe and carb..this is the way I bought the bike and have all the documentation ..I ve put 400 miles on with no issues at all, And now this..

Thanks again for your help and advise..

Serveta

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »
Carb float rate  is 135 CC per minute ..

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
Sounds like you have a broken battery terminal or some kind of short in the wiring.  Another possibility is an internal short inside the battery, I had that happen to me once and it actually stranded me 15 miles out in the country.

The Blackhawk

Adrian II

• Neophyte
  • No Personal Text Yet
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:43:25 PM »
I don't think you mentioned the spark plug cap, if it's the original metal covered item from eight years ago it won't do any harm to bin it and replace with an NGK version, unsuppressed if you are using a resistor plug, with suppressor if you're using a straight B9ES or equivalent. I had a metal covered version cause running problems with an otherwise fine Honda single, once replaced with the NGK version all was well.

While you have been through and checked the fuel system, did you also check for a blocked gas tank filler cap breather? This has let me down on the Electra before now. Vacuum caused in tank, bike stops - WHAT? open tank to check for gas, this lets the air back in, gas flows nicely, gas tank filler cap back on and ride off, same thing happens again a few miles later until you work out what's happening.

Regards,

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates of Eden
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »
I know the carb is rebuilt correctly, I've rebuilt endless 2-stroke carbs..

The one thing I thought was strange is the air mixture screw is only back out 3/4 of a turn ,but this is what it was set at so I put it back the same .. I know my scooter and dirt bikes are all about 2 to 3 full turns

This is my 1st Enfield and I love it.. It's modified as minus the engine itself.. The pipe, carb, air filter were done at a Enfield dealer shop . It was re jetted for pipe and carb..this is the way I bought the bike

Thanks again for your help and advise..

3/4 turn out sounds funny.

What carburetor?  BS 29? If it's a BS 29, the mixture screw is a fuel screw not an air screw.

You say it was rejetted?  By who?  Dealer? If it's a BS 29 & idling good at 3/4 turn out, the Pilot Jet is too big.

Do you know what # Pilot jet is in it?

It shouldn't run well out on the road at 3/4 turn out on the mixture screw.

Is your plug black?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:50:14 PM by tooseevee »
2008 ACE Head AVL Classic
1977 Shovelhead Hardtail Bobber

Serveta

• Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:22:52 AM »
I'm not sure on carb model, UCAL mikuni, has a #115 main in it, powersports Presscott did the work on it. The plug ( BR8ES) is pretty clean, electrod is a light white, with no build up.The 400 miles I've put on it have been inner city miles mostly..
   Thank you..

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:58:12 AM »
If the plug is white your are running too lean.  It should be a cream/tan color at good tuning.

The Blackhawk

DanB

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:22:26 AM »
If it's still te stock pilot, that's a 15 I believe. 3/4 is way LEAN. It's a mixture screw, clockwise is lean, turning out, ccw, richens it up. That screw will turn out up to six. Find out what that pilot is. My 15 with opened up air box and exhaust was way weak and it was horrible. I needed a 17.5.

Also, how do you support the carb is there is no air box? That India rubber manifold cannot support the carb.

Finally, you still have the PAV?  If so, check the small tube for leaks.

Spray wd40 while it's running on rubber and see if you get an idle increase.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: Today at 02:38:18 AM »
I've never heard of using WD40 for checking leaks but starting fluid, carb cleaner and brake cleaner work well too.

The Blackhawk