Menu

Members Rides

Elvis at Hooters Little Rock Arkansas

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 09:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spark Plug  (Read 8738 times)

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Spark Plug
« on: March 15, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
It seems like the spark plug cap on my Electra will only fit on the narrower threaded style terminal
nut  type plugs.  Will I need  a different spark plug wire and cap to fit the "standard" type spark plug terminal?   I tried pushing it on there pretty good, but the standard type seemed too wide.

Thanks

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Spark Plug
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 04:05:38 PM »
Not sure I understand this question. A picture would help.

Are you saying the metal head on the plug is too wide, and you need the threaded type?

Doesn't the cap unscrew?
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 04:13:04 PM »
Not sure I understand this question. A picture would help.

Are you saying the metal head on the plug is too wide, and you need the threaded type?

Doesn't the cap unscrew?

It sure does, thanks!  Didn't know to do that, this is the 1st motorcycle I've even done any maintenance on.  Thanks.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »
I am growing less and less fond of the NGK spark plugs which RE uses as OEM. Shucks, I have been through five of the BR 8 ES PLUGS  and none of them have lasted more than a hundred and fifty miles.  I have a pair of Champion RN 2 C plugs on order at Autozone. (They had a half case of the NGK on hand, but I don't think that I will try something that has let me down so miserably again.)  I just hope that the Champions work better.

I don't think that I am getting a weak spark, as I have just changed over to the "Bosch" coil, and "simple electronic ignition." from Classic Motor Works. After the change over to electronic, the bike ran like a dream, and started easily enough, but after a hundred miles, the bike began to miss, and pop. It wasn't strong at all. The next day, NOTHING ! I have pulled the plug and tried to crank the bike with the plug grounded on the cylinder, but get no spark.

This is the same symptom of failure which I experienced four times before. PHOOIE on NGK!!!
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »
Those RN 2 C plugs might be a tad bit on the cold side for a Bullet (you didn't say what model you have). I have had OK results with Champion N3C and N4C plugs though I still feel that NGK makes a better plug.
I've always felt Champion was at the bottom of the food chain when it came to sparkplugs.
NGK does make better plugs than the Standard BR8ES and I have had real good luck with the BR8EIX plug.
What exactly isn't lasting on your plugs?
If it's fouling out with oil or too much fuel then the problem does not lie with the plug itself but is a tuning issue. If the electrode is burning off then again it's not the fault of the plug but could be that the coil polarity is backwards or a timing issue.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 08:33:02 PM by t120rbullet »
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5 Classic "G2" "SOLD"
2012 Concours 14 (no name yet)
2013 Royal Star Venture S  "Jelly Roll"

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »
I have to think something else is going on as a result of the component changes.
I changed plugs at 1500 miles just for the heck of it.  So far, I have over 700 miles on the new plug.  Took it out for a look yesterday and it's a pleasant tan colour. 
Double check all your connections AND your battery. -like age and fluid level.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:56:53 PM by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »
I was talking with a Ural mechanic and a triumph old school mechanic. Both indicated that when a NGK dies, it's gone, but the Champion just has to be pulled out and cleaned/dried off and used again.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »
Don't think that I will try the OEM NGK plugs again! The iridium plugs possibly, After the first fifty or so miles, the OEM plugs look good enough. (Not enough time to get the good rich 'tan' color) by the time the plug fails and sputters to be a useless piece of junk, the tip is glossy black and fuel soaked which I attribute to the lousy or non existant combustion. A meter reading shows NO continuity between the tip of the electrode, and the stem. (There should be a straight circuit, or a bit of resistance, but in fact there is no circuit at all.) I will give the Champions a try tomorrow when they come in. and report later. I might need the "hotter" 3C or 4C plugs, but first I need to get the bike running and enjoy the spring weather on my "modern antique. :-\"

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 09:17:49 PM »
B.T.W. The bike is a 2008 "Deluxe" (Old  Style Iron engine)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 09:26:41 PM »
have a 06 iron and have almost 5 k on the original plug..its OEM NGK....Is the bike stock with 28m Micarb or have you rejetted and changed your exhaust..Only asking as the glossy black and fuel soaked plug  is indicating the carb is set up wrong or a float problem in the carb allowing too much fuel to pass thru.....just a thought.......yes a spark check on the plug would be helpful to verify too...
Oh Magoo you done it again

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »
Yep, the bike has the stock "Mikuni Type" carb. When I went to the Short Exhaust pipe (great sound when it runs) I went to the next size larger in Jets. but I think that it might still be a tad lean. In the next few minutes I will go to the store and pick up the Champions. More later.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »
Got the Champion in and the bike was happily ticking over with the first kick!  Rode around the neighborhood for about fifteen minutes. Happy ! Happy ! Joy ! Joy! "Old Bill" is back !!!!!!! I would have given it a longer run, but clouds have been piling up since noon, and there were a few lightning flashes on the Southwestern horizon.

I'm no chicken (as a motorcycle police officer back in the seventies I rode through some real nightmares of weather.) Now, as a retired old f@rt I don't have to.

I will report more on the Champion Plug as I get more miles on it. NGK can go away !

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »
In reply to "Uncle Earnie's" post. The bike went through the first four NGK plugs while in "out of the box" stock condition. The first one went out at 120 miles. the second only made about seventy. Third died after less than a hundred, four went north after only twenty. This was when I decided to change out the coil and points for the Blue Bosch coil and "Simple Electronic Ignition." I had the local dealer (130 miles away in Chattanooga) install the ignition upgrade. After the upgrade the bike ran perfectly for awhile. As reported in my earlier posts, the fifth NGK plug was pulled after fifty miles and looked OK for a "new" plug. fifty more miles and the bike began to misfire and grow weak. I limped home the next day my pride and joy was more of an anchor than a vehicle. >:(

The new Champion plug fired up the bike on the first kick and ran well for a fifteen minute test ride.  The weatherman predicts some severe thunderstorms here in Murfreesboro so it might be another day or two before I can get out on the road and try to break the hundred and twenty mile NGK plug record.  :-\

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:07:50 AM »
RB,
FYI, in McMinnville there is a shop called Cyclerama. The owner, Tom Cass, is an old time Brit bike mechanic. He used to be a RE dealer, and still sells Urals. Lot closer than Chattanooga, and he's a pretty good guy.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 12:02:37 PM »
Blue Ridge Wheeltor,

Thanks for the info on Cyclerama. Next time I have a problem, I will pay him a visit. The last trip to Chattanooga with my RE on the trailer I realized that The bike had more miles on the trailer or in the bed of my pick up than on the speedometer. ;)
There is also an Enfield / Ural dealer in Waynesboro. About the same distance as Chattanooga, but not over good roads.  Chatt. is Interstate almost all the way. (Although there are four miles of Georgia Interstate 24 which are darn near as rough as a logging road) ::)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 12:06:36 PM »
Mike in Waynesboro is known to be a good Ural dealer too.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
I know Mike personally and will also vouch for him. I am a bit concerned that you haven't addressed the root cause of the plug failures. Any brand of plug even some cheap plug from Communist Red China should last longer than yours are. If it were me, I would do a plug chop test (described in detail elsewhere in the forum - use the search feature) and check your mixture.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Hmmm- maybe a bad batch of NGK's?   Anyhoo, I'm never one to argue with success.
Keep us posted after the next 100 miles.
Run what ya brung

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 09:35:58 PM »
A bad batch of NGK's... I doubt that seriously. The first one came with the bike from India. The next two came from CMW. The last two came from the local Honda dealer. The sources were far to diverse to have been from the same batch. I will not buy another BR8ES NGK plug from any source! :P

I'm not burning any bridges, but the BR8ES plugs have let me down far too often for me to trust them. The iridum plugs could still be an option, but there will be Bosch, Autolite, and several other brands to go through before I would consider NGK again.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 02:04:08 AM »
Try an Autoiite 4063....
             they've served me well for 6 years. A lot easier and cheaper to
find and buy - Mike
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!! "
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

portisheadric

• Bulleteer
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 06:43:51 AM »
Sounds like a shorting issue, where the spark travels down the outside of the ceramic around the centre electrode and shorts via the metal spark plug body.
It usually occurs due to oil or carbon fouling but perhaps there is something in the fuel that is coating the ceramic and allowing the spark to travel.

An iridium plug may be better because it may be easier for the spark to jump to the earth electrode rather than track down the ceramic due to the far smaller tip diameter.

I run my carburation close to between 12.5:1  &  13:1 which leaves the spark plug very sooty, a standard plug fouls pretty quickly (giving symptoms as you describe) but the iridium has been faultless for over 1500 miles.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
I appreciate your thoughts, but there is no continuity (Circuit) down the center electrode in the plugs after they go bad. It is as though the copper core running down the center of the NGK plugs breaks, or some how become separated from the terminal (stem) I wish I had an X-ray machine to look through the ceramic insulator, but the ideas which sold me on Enfield was simplicity and economy. For the cost of an X-ray machine I could probably purchase a gold plated BMW.

It is not a "flash over" the plugs are clean on the outside and I ran the bike in the dark as the last plug was failing and there was no observable flashover or stray sparks anywhere. From the feel of the machine the spark was either intermittent, or there was no spark at all and the engine was "dieseling" (which I don't think is possible with the RE's low compression ratio.
   RBH

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
 :-[  On close examination of my new Champion RN 2C plug at about 50 miles, I saw that it was jet black and "sooty". Wow, it was running rich as it could be and still run at all. I had wondered why I never had to choke the engine to start, even in cold weather. Upon browsing in this forum, I found a posting by our fearless leader Kevin Mahoney suggesting an inspection of the little rubber 'bootie' which covers the plunger on the "enricher" (Choke). mine was indeed loose and not allowing the "enricher" to turn off completely. It was a booger to get back on and I ended up removing the enricher just so that I could   roll the grommet back in place.  Now to clean up this latest spark plug  and maybe an NGK if I can find one that will make a complete circuit and give it a test run.

Thanks to all for advice and good wishes.   :-[

jaymark18

• Neophyte
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 10:13:51 PM »
We need to clean up this latest spark plug  and maybe an NGK if you can find one that will make a complete circuit and give it a test run.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »
 ???The Champion cleaned up OK and the bike ran great! Unfortunately the idle was way the heck out of adjustment.  It was idling at about two thousand rpm! I fiddled with the idle adjustment and only got it to move up to about three thousand.

I cleaned all of the various spark plugs laying around and found not one NGK which would make a complete circuit. >:( I'm about to get the idle fixed, having read the section on the carburetor in the "Super Service Manual from CMW. More later.

REpozer

• Grand Poobah of
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 05:50:52 PM »
From  30 years as a shade tree auto tinker, my plugs of choice has been Autolite,and NGKs,, Bosch Super 's work good for me too.I use Champian in my Briggs& Statton engines cause I can't find anything else.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 12:55:28 AM »
 ;D
Well, I've got "Old Bill" up and running (idle is now back down to a steady "tick-over")

Weather has been the wettest I have ever experienced since my government sponsored vacation to Monsoon land back in the early seventies, but it seems like we might soon see some good Tennessee sunshine at long last.  The Champion RN2C plug now has a little over two hundred miles on it and shows a nice golden tan colour on the electrode.

With the enricher (choke) plunger now fixed, it is as though I have a different and much better bike.  The bike runs very strong, responds to the throttle and fuel mileage is back up to about 65 or 70 M.P.G. where it should be. :-* I'm quite happy with my Bullet!

RBH

Motor

• Neophyte
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 02:12:42 PM »

I cleaned all of the various spark plugs laying around and found not one NGK which would make a complete circuit. >:( I'm about to get the idle fixed, having read the section on the carburetor in the "Super Service Manual from CMW. More later.

I am wondering if in fact you are dealing with a resistor type plug.  If you still have one that is destined for the trash, perhaps you could break off or crush with pliers the glossy white ceramic part that is on the top end of the plug between the hex body and the terminal.  Not the part that goes in the combustion chamber.  If it is a resistor plug, there will not be a solid conductor, but a densely compacted carbon powder.  If this is the case, then the continuity check will necessitate measurement in the Meg-Ohm range on your Ohm meter. It requires at least 1 Meg-Ohm or more in order to suppress the electrical "radiation" that interferes with other electrical equipment.  Some multi-testers are not capable of measuring such a high resistance. 

If you find that there is a solid wire type of conductor then you do not have a resistor plug and all of the above is merely irrelevant hot air on my part.  Would not be the first time.

Motor

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
Hot Air??? you must be a baloon pilot. My meter reads up to 2meg oms. The @#%* NGK (No Good Krud) plugs Went worthless in less than one hundred miles (on average). If you have been reading the posts in this thread you would have learned that The main problem was a messed up 'enricher' on the carburettor causing soot fouling on the plugs. (Why that would cause the NGK's to punk out on me is still a mystery).

Still tinkering with bikes is part of the fun of owning them. If I didn't  like enjoy tinkering I would have bought a Honda, or BMW, or something so far techno-illogically advanced that only a factory trained wrench puller could work on it.    RBH   

Motor

• Neophyte
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 02:07:01 PM »
I just went and measured the resistance of the installed plug and also my spare plug.  Unbelievable.  The one in the motor was 3.5 K ohms, and my spare was 1.8 M ohms.  Such a wide variation is difficult for me to accept.  Perhaps it is time for me to switch away from NGK, also.  Thanks for giving me the motivation to do so. 

Motor

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »
  I put in an Autolite like Mike runs seems okay so far and about $1 cheaper.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »
Scooter Bob has some interesting thoughts about Autolite spark plugs, lets see if we can entice him into this thread.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 09:01:05 PM »
  I' still wondering why mine was equipped with a BP7ES new.  But what the heck it runs okay on the Autolite also.  Just hard to find the BP7ES around here..no one has one in stock.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »
I think Scooter Bob really likes the Autolite.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 05:05:52 AM »
  Now Kevin does he really like it, or REALLY, REALLY like it.  I feel the same way about Champions.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 06:57:18 AM »
I think Scooter Bob really likes the Autolite.

Really??  I seem to be the only other one that will admit to running them.
What does he use??
                      - Mike
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 07:48:13 AM »
I will try to get Scooter Bob involved this AM. Unless I am mistaken, confusing our conversatoin with a dream I may have had (easy to do at my age) or had this talk with someone else I think he has an interesting take on Autolite plugs.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2009, 07:50:28 AM »
Why do I have the feeling Kevin is messing with us? ;D
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2009, 07:55:51 AM »
Not possible, I have no sense of humor whatsoever.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 08:26:53 AM »
  Sure you don't...so why do you put up with the motley crew in assemblage?  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 10:44:29 AM »
A-a-a-a-a-ah - The old spark plug debate, featuring the likes of the No Good Kind plugs and the Champi-NON plugs. The problems that we have read about here are endemic to old-school stuff whose combustion chambers get filled with more than the merest vapour that will result in combustion. In other words - WET fuel and oil, etc .....

The problem starts with how the plugs are made. They are ALL good in a Honda U-LEV engine as there is barely enough molecular fuel vapour to ignite and burn. Our old design Enfields and other old-style stuff are a bit different. They seem to be happy when the whole dinosaur is shoveled into the combustion chamber .....  ;D This is what causes the problem. New, Modern and Wonderful sparking plugs are no longer fired to porcelain on the "business end" of the plug. They don't NEED to be for a really lean engine. What occurs is that the ceramic, being once-fired BISQUE, absorbs "wet" from the chamber and it turns to carbon (the best conductor on the Planet ...) with the heat of combustion. Then they foul as the spark takes the easy way to ground down the carbon encrusted ceramic into the base of the plug. I have this problem with lead-fouling occasionally with any plug but an Autolite. they are the only manufacturer that still twice-fires the plug until it's porcelain - THAT'S why they don't foul out like the No Good Kind will ..... I have used the Autolites about forever - first the $25 each racing (surface gap) plugs - then into the race car hauler ..... then into everything else. Champion used to BE the Champions - they got cheap as well, though. The Autolite plugs are the DEAL - you can usually get 'em at Advance Auto or Auto Zone or some such for around a buck and a half .... sometimes a little cheaper - and they WORK. Since we DO ride Enfields, tho - it's a good idea to carry one with you. After all - a spark plug is EASY to change ... pushin' is hard stuff!! I hope this helps a bit   ;).
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2009, 11:37:46 AM »
  Got hooked on BERU racing plugs in Germany..worked with over 300 German civilians and all the mechanics and techs ran them in their macihes.  Too bad I can't afford them here., or even find an importer.  They were about $3.00 a plug back in 1991.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »
Copy that on the BERU spark plugs - The old Bap-Geon import parts fellows used to bring those into the country - ALL of us old Brit racing Luddites used them .... My Mini would frag a set in a weekend of serious racing .... as serious as you can GET with an 850cc Mini, that is!! Hahahaha!!! (I just told everyone HOW ancient I'm getting with that reference to Bap-Geon ..... ;) )

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2009, 08:31:23 PM »
So with the autolite, champion etc for plugs, are there different sizes to them that match up to the NGK plugs? I use the b8es but don't know if the other other makers have similar sizing or what? My little RE is a bit touchy around plugs so anything that would be even a bit helpful IE: get me to at least 150 miles before having to change plugs would be nice. I'm carrying about 4 plugs on me (really TD is the one with the plugs in his sidecar).

Gromit
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »
     I have had tremendous success with the NGK B8ES. If you are fouling plugs that often something is wrong. I have missed something either with your bike or in adjusting to your particular riding habits. If you are simply doing a lot of low speed riding then a hotter plug may be called for.  It is not the choice of plug. Call me tomorrow and I will talk with you.

REpozer

• Grand Poobah of
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 09:08:13 PM »
From  30 years as a shade tree auto tinker, my plugs of choice has been Autolite,and NGKs,, Bosch Super 's work good for me too.I use Champian in my Briggs& Statton engines cause I can't find anything else.
I stopped using Chumpians years ago when I couldn't trust them to work ,new out the the box, maybe the QC/QA is better don't know.  I like Autolite too.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

abe

• Bulleteer
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 11:27:29 PM »
Scooterbob is the Autolite 4063 the way to go in a 500cc iron barrel? 

Say hi to Big Bill Eng for me in Beijing

abe
2007 RE 500 Classic
1991 Yamaha XT 350
1967 Honda 90 Roadster

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2009, 11:38:58 PM »
the 4063 has been my choice for about 5 years now.....
price and availability is what sold me, and they work. Mine gets
a new plug at every oil change.
        - Mike
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

abe

• Bulleteer
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2009, 10:37:30 AM »
Thanks Mike I am going to pick up a couple today and play around with them, gap should be the same.  Too wet to ride today anyway :-\

abe
2007 RE 500 Classic
1991 Yamaha XT 350
1967 Honda 90 Roadster

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »
Scooterbob is the Autolite 4063 the way to go in a 500cc iron barrel? 

Say hi to Big Bill Eng for me in Beijing

abe

The old 4063 is a good choice - so is the 63 if you want a non-resistor (gasp!) plug .... I'll sure pass the word along to Bill ..... I owe him an email anyway! Hahaha!!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »
So with the autolite, champion etc for plugs, are there different sizes to them that match up to the NGK plugs? I use the b8es but don't know if the other other makers have similar sizing or what? My little RE is a bit touchy around plugs so anything that would be even a bit helpful IE: get me to at least 150 miles before having to change plugs would be nice. I'm carrying about 4 plugs on me (really TD is the one with the plugs in his sidecar).

Gromit

Rode a 150 mile loop yesterday and today with an Autolite 63 throwing the fire..through rain.  Not a problem.  And I also had some pretty steep hills and valeeys to traverse.  Not a problem.  I'm sold.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »
Again - This is no magic - just a matter of construction. ALL "name brand" plugs used to be twice fired - but with the advent of new, leaner engines with really good ring sealing characteristics, it wasn't really needed. The exception, of course, being all the old and old school stuff that WE deal with! Hahaha!! Good for you and the "Old number 63's"!  ;D

abe

• Bulleteer
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 09:05:33 AM »
OK, I have to say I noticed a difference, I bought 4 of the autolite 4063's, 2 NGK's BR8ES and did a test over the last few days.  Autolite makes my bike run better, period.  I picked up 2 autolite 63's but have not tried them yet, they are longer than the 4063 and that made me think, then the thought passed.....

I like them, thanks for all the info!

abe
2007 RE 500 Classic
1991 Yamaha XT 350
1967 Honda 90 Roadster

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »
I've been using the NGK BR8EIX iridium plug since I started my break in and it has worked flawlessly. I tried the stock plug, doesn't like it one bit. Tried the non-resistor plug Ace suggested a while back, ran like crap. I seem to be stuck with my iridium forever.

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 11:42:49 AM »
  I have to check other parts sources..Auto Zone doesn't have or can't get the Iridium.  I believe each of these bikes develops its own personality/temperament.  I can run 63 Autolites, runs good but for some unknown reason loves BP7ES NGK's.  I can't figure out why..but I can't knock either plug.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »
The old 4063 is a good choice - so is the 63 if you want a non-resistor (gasp!) plug .... I'll sure pass the word along to Bill ..... I owe him an email anyway! Hahaha!!

I assume the 4063 is the "resistor' version and has screw on/off top terminal??
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:29:58 PM by BigDon »
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »
  I'm running the 63 which is non-resistor.  No problems so far.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2009, 07:51:56 PM »
I have to check other parts sources..Auto Zone doesn't have or can't get the Iridium. 

http://www.sparkplugs.com/

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2009, 08:22:22 AM »
This site even lists the Royal Enfield 500 as a application for the "4063" not too many sites list our bikes.
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2009, 11:06:09 AM »
Quote from: BigDon  link=topic=3713.msg50902#msg50902 date=1244640142
This site even lists the Royal Enfield 500 as a application for the "4063" not too many sites list our bikes.

They also offer a lot of hard to find in the USA plugs like the NGK BP6ET ,my cool weather plug that I use in my 500cc iron engines.
CJ

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »
  I'm still going to find a BERU dealer, but this will work too.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »
  I'm still going to find a BERU dealer, but this will work too.  Will.

I don't know if they still do but JP Cycle used to sell them.
CJ

RajDsingh

• Neophyte
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2013, 10:25:39 PM »
Looking for BERU PLUGS??? amazon has them!!! perhaps somebody can suggest a model #
72 HT Yamaha rd350
04 Royal Enfield Thunderbird
05 royal Enfield Bullet